Jump to content
Cranky

New Wetsuit Time

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I only wear Roka because they sponsor Kona.

You only wear it cos it is cheaper to fly to 2 x USA IMs and buy Roka there than pay their shipping rates...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, pieman said:

You only wear it cos it is cheaper to fly to 2 x USA IMs and buy Roka there than pay their shipping rates...

Jesus, you're not wrong! $1600 for a wetsuit that is at the very most going to give you 30s?

 

Untitled.png

Edited by zed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, looking at the races force mentioned.....

How often had Noosa been WS legal? I know of one year it was and my mate overheated in the swim and came out in distress.

How many times has Mool been WS legal?

How often has Kingy been WS legal, in particular with its now Dec and March dates?

I guess Coffs could generally be legal, so could be one race a year you'd use it.

Lot of money to sit in a closet 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, zed said:

Jesus, you're not wrong! $1600 for a wetsuit that is at the very most going to give you 30s?

 

Untitled.png

Pfft who pays full price.  Use a drop box & avoid the shipping rates, duties & taxes.  That reminds me it's been a month since I was last in the USA. It must be time to book some more flights.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trinube said:

Are you saying I'm old?  :wheelchair:

Noooooooooo

but u might need to move into the 20th century lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, zed said:

Jesus, you're not wrong! $1600 for a wetsuit that is at the very most going to give you 30s?

 

Untitled.png

I think u are missing the point 

well my point anyway is the a wetsuit is more about comfort, and confidence than speed

just like all top end bikes they are all as "fAst" as each other , but it's all about the fit ( for each person)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, ironpo said:

I think u are missing the point 

well my point anyway is the a wetsuit is more about comfort, and confidence than speed

just like all top end bikes they are all as "fAst" as each other , but it's all about the fit ( for each person)

OK gotcha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, goughy said:

So, looking at the races force mentioned.....

How often had Noosa been WS legal? I know of one year it was and my mate overheated in the swim and came out in distress.

How many times has Mool been WS legal?

How often has Kingy been WS legal, in particular with its now Dec and March dates?

I guess Coffs could generally be legal, so could be one race a year you'd use it.

Lot of money to sit in a closet 

And if they were WS legal, was that when the rule was below 24 degrees for a wettie?  The rules are now 22 degrees...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Turts said:

Where'd cranky go?

She got all the information she needed and left us here, just like that. I feel like I've been discarded like a bag of rubbish... 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Send it to IP in Kona he can bring it home with him.

Sounds good , zed can help me with my Excess baggage charges 

thats providing I come back to oz as that is :-)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your dog will turn into a turmeric latte drinking wanker if you don't come home

IMG_20171016_224005_911.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Turts said:

Where'd cranky go?

I'm still here.  Busy taking all this info in! :)

3 hours ago, zed said:

She got all the information she needed and left us here, just like that. I feel like I've been discarded like a bag of rubbish... 

Common, Zed. I wouldn't do that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bored@work said:

The dog is nothing like IP 

He is far better looking than me , and he is better with the ladies

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are people's thoughts on Blue Seventys sizing? I've seen a Helix going cheap, it's small though. I'm stocky, 170cm and 73kg, no way I'd fit into a small, but according to their website I would. 

Wetsuits Sizing Chart

- MEN -
Size Height (ft/in) Height (cm) Build Weight (kg) Weight (lbs)
XS 4'10”-5'4” 147cm-160cm Extra Small 55-65 kg 121-143 lbs
SM 5'4”-5'9” 160cm-170cm Small 64–75 kg 143–172 lbs
SMT 5'8”-6'0” 172cm-182cm Small/Tall 68–78 kg 150–172 lbs
M 5'8”-6'1” 172cm-184cm Medium 74–84 kg 158–187 lbs
MT 5'11”-6'2” 180cm-188cm Medium/Tall 76– 86 kg 160–190 lbs
ML 5'11”-6'3” 182cm-190cm Medium/Large 84–92 kg 176–198 lbs
L 5'11”-6'4” 184cm-194cm Large 88–98 kg 192–220 lbs
XL 6'0”–6'6” 185cm-200cm Extra Large 96+ kg 209+ lbs

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, zed said:

What are people's thoughts on Blue Seventys sizing? I've seen a Helix going cheap, it's small though. I'm stocky, 170cm and 73kg, no way I'd fit into a small, but according to their website I would. 

Wetsuits Sizing Chart

- MEN -
Size Height (ft/in) Height (cm) Build Weight (kg) Weight (lbs)
XS 4'10”-5'4” 147cm-160cm Extra Small 55-65 kg 121-143 lbs
SM 5'4”-5'9” 160cm-170cm Small 64–75 kg 143–172 lbs
SMT 5'8”-6'0” 172cm-182cm Small/Tall 68–78 kg 150–172 lbs
M 5'8”-6'1” 172cm-184cm Medium 74–84 kg 158–187 lbs
MT 5'11”-6'2” 180cm-188cm Medium/Tall 76– 86 kg 160–190 lbs
ML 5'11”-6'3” 182cm-190cm Medium/Large 84–92 kg 176–198 lbs
L 5'11”-6'4” 184cm-194cm Large 88–98 kg 192–220 lbs
XL 6'0”–6'6” 185cm-200cm Extra Large 96+ kg 209+ lbs

 

I think I'm in a smt and I'm 168cm and 63kgs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zed I’m 170cm and 70kg and I’m in a smt. It feels like some restriction around my neck when I first put it on but loosens once in the water. I’ve only go their cheap suit and have had no other swimming wetsuit to compare 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Limited said:

Zed I’m 170cm and 70kg and I’m in a smt. It feels like some restriction around my neck when I first put it on but loosens once in the water. I’ve only go their cheap suit and have had no other swimming wetsuit to compare 

cool thanks, yeah small would be too small.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ironpo said:

I think I'm in a smt and I'm 168cm and 63kgs

Really? If that fits u well then their sizing is up the shiit. 

No wonder i can never get a suit to fit online

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Turts said:

Really? If that fits u well then their sizing is up the shiit. 

No wonder i can never get a suit to fit online

Maybe I better actually look at the size then 

I know I was in a smt but when they bought out the newer helix I changed sizes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been in a roka for years and Ill never go away from them.

 

Putting the suit on is the most important thing, mine sits around 5cm above my ankles and about the same on my wrist so don't think you need to be covered from ankle to wrist it can make swimming harder depending on your limb length.  I also get someone to stand behind me and put their arms up along the back of my arm (inside the suit) give it a yank across my back then pull their arm out.  Do that both sides then zip it up.  A good way to tell if you have it on correctly is to stand in front of a mirror and if your suit looks like its done up with the zip still down then you have it on right. 

 

Ive seen someone swimming in a suit they put on themselves slower than they would without a wetsuit, one week later the coach helped them put it on and they were swimming like a fish.  Cranky you know this little person.

 

Ive also seen another friend gain 10-20sec per hundred going from bottom of the range blue seventy to the helix due to the thinner material around the shoulders giving a better range of motion and fatigueing their shoulders less.

 

Number 1 though if you haven't put it on correctly then you're no chance of swimming well in it no matter how much you spend.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Xterra Vengeance is pretty good, super thin arms, feels like I'm swimming in a sleeveless. Not super buoyant though, so perhaps not suited to everyone. I'm not convinced it's much (at all?) quicker than my Xterra sleeveless. I need to test them out in the pool or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Ive also seen another friend gain 10-20sec per hundred going from bottom of the range blue seventy to the helix due to the thinner material around the shoulders giving a better range of motion and fatigueing their shoulders less.

 

This was exactly my experience. A total world of difference!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

 

 

Ive also seen another friend gain 10-20sec per hundred going from bottom of the range blue seventy to the helix due to the thinner material around the shoulders giving a better range of motion and fatigueing their shoulders less.

 

 

 

I'd imagine a lot of people would benefit by going sleeveless. You lose a bit of buoyancy, but better that than having severe restriction in the shoulders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zed said:

I'd imagine a lot of people would benefit by going sleeveless. You lose a bit of buoyancy, but better that than having severe restriction in the shoulders. 

I would put money on 99% of those people who claim severe restriction do not have the suit on properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/11/2017 at 10:57 AM, RunBrettRun said:

 

Ive seen someone swimming in a suit they put on themselves slower than they would without a wetsuit, one week later the coach helped them put it on and they were swimming like a fish.  Cranky you know this little person.

The use of the word 'little'... it could only be one person!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loving my Xterra Vengance, went well on Sunday for the 1.3km I swam.

Edited by zed
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, zed said:

Loving my Xterra Vengance, went well on Sunday for the 1.3km I swam.

What about during the bike? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did a sprint today,  overall race wasn't as good as I hoped, was looking to podium, ended up 8th. They extended the sprint from a 750/20/5 to a 1/28/8, but they fvcked up the swim measurement. It ended up being 730m, so all advantage got handed to the bikers/runners. I raced in my sleeveless for the first time in a year and I ended up 1st out the water, but 3rd once we crossed the timing mats, 23/450 compared to my previous sprint where I was 5th and 154th overall (same course, similar opponents). In some ways a swim result I didn't want to have. I have a sleeved wetsuit that cost $700 and a $100 sleeveless that should be slower, but it isn't .Note I spent the whole swim with the two other guys that exited 2nd and 3rd, drafted off them, then overtook them in the final 100m. Was planning on wearing my full for Busso 70.3 in 3 weeks, but now I'm in a conundrum. Full = more flotation, sleeveless = faster stroke rate. I felt when I needed to sprint, start and end, the sleeveless was no doubt quicker. If it was 3.8km, the sleeved for sure. I wouldn't have been able to keep up the fast stroke rate for that distance, I was pretty much 3/4 catch up for the sprint. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd give the sleeveless a go. 

 

Rog uses one and goes OK. 

 

Well done on the race today. Did you lose/find any visors for your helmet...? LOL 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

I'd give the sleeveless a go. 

 

Rog uses one and goes OK. 

 

Well done on the race today. Did you lose/find any visors for your helmet...? LOL 

cheers. Ride and run weren't great, but swim was OK. Managed to stay with Matt Jennings who is normally a 25min/70.3 swimmer. I've got no plans to beat him out the water in Busselton, just be happy to sit on his toes for the whole swim! So more or less irrelevant whether I go sleeveless or sleeved.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I was visorless. Lost 2 now... got a new one on the way.

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, zed said:

Yeah I was visorless. Lost 2 now... got a new one on the way.

I swim better without the visor personally. But if it helps :D:lol::P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BUMP:

Trannies I need some advice. The velcro on the neck of my wetsuit has gone fluffy so doesnt grip properly.  Anyone fixed or replaced velcro or is it time for a new wesuit?

All tips welcome, including funny ones & 'new bike' 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally new shoes. 

New bike is old news. New shoes is where it's at now. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Turts said:

Totally new shoes. 

New bike is old news. New shoes is where it's at now. 

Im glad you mention shoes - any thought on mtb shoes with boa fastening?  Im going to need new shoes very soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Im glad you mention shoes - any thought on mtb shoes with boa fastening?  Im going to need new shoes very soon.

I like my  northwave. Exxy but good

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×