Cranky

New Wetsuit Time

Super happy with the responses I got in regards to a new helmet. Pretty impressed that the majority of posts recommended the same one! That makes life easy! !

So now, wetsuit time. I wore mine this morning and it's got more holes than worth repairing. I've got my money worth, so happy to fork out for a new one. I'll keep this one for training though, I think. 

What do I need to look for? 

Brands .... anything else? 

Is a wetsuit a wetsuit? 

For reference, it will be used mainly for OD. My non wetsuit pace is about 1:40 for that distance. 

Thanks again! !

Yep, I'm now rockin' a Roka and I love it (thanks Bored@)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, -H- said:

Yep, I'm now rockin' a Roka and I love it (thanks Bored@)

Glad you like it.  As others have said get on Roka.

You don't need the top of the line.  

I saw this on FB and have been waiting with bated breath all day for thus to be posted here !!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, trickle said:

I saw this on FB and have been waiting with bated breath all day for thus to be posted here !!

Ha ha!

Unless I can get creative, we may need to look at other options? ? ?

The cheapest Roka is $400 which comes down to $300 if I can get the 25% discount that Cat Lady is talking about. 

So, any other options? 

Edited by Cranky
Cause

26 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Unless I can get creative, we may need to look at other options? ? ?

The cheapest Roka is $400 which comes down to $300 if I can get the 25% discount that Cat Lady is talking about. 

So, any other options? 

Is price a consideration? If so, whats your value?

15 hours ago, Cranky said:

Is a wetsuit a wetsuit? 

Pretty much. Theoretically a sleeveless is slower, but in reality, very little difference. The Roka Maverick X is one of the best knocking about, but they are close to $1k. Plus shipping. I'm currently in an el cheapo sleeveless Xterra and that's been fine. It's the Volt and they're US$98. I usually go 27/28mins in it for a 70.3 The Xterra Vengeance (sleeved and sleeveless) are a quick wetsuit and Xterra USA have 70% off wetsuits using code C-IRONHRT. You'll need to use Shopmate to get it shipped or another freight forwarding company. 

Tell em Zed sent you.

Edited by zed
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Unless I go sleeveless. ... 

Im not good with change.  I've never used sleeved

You've never used sleeved or sleeveless?

Dare2tri are reasonably price. You don’t need an expensive one. Waste of dollars.

Difference between the most expensive and least expensive..... might be 10seconds...... spend the savings on extra swim sessions :)

• Like 1

My blue seventy helix is AMAZING! Speak to Aquashop as I got it for half price from them. Cost just over $500 and that was about $1000 of suit. Took 20s / 100m off me!

How often will you use it? Not many wetsuit races up here. 

Are you gonna go south for races?  How often are you gonna dip your toes into longer distances?  I guess Noosa has been WS legal once or twice, and has Mool once?  Kingy was once but I think it was in April or May then, and only by the skin of it's teeth.  I wore mine for it and hopped in the water and thought the water was almost warm (no, I wasn't peeing at the time).  How often have you worn your current one since Kona?  And for what/when?

Can't believe I'm trying to talk a tri geek out of equipment!  Must be the miser in me (cept, you know, I'm not actually rich).

10 hours ago, monkie said:

My blue seventy helix is AMAZING! Speak to Aquashop as I got it for half price from them. Cost just over $500 and that was about $1000 of suit. Took 20s / 100m off me!

same 4 me -- except the 20s thing

I had my sleeves removed after holes started happening in the arm pit area

I have found the removal of the suit to result in slower times

however faster in transition
I don't overheat now
Less lactic and heart rate lower coming out onto the bike

If speed is the aim of the game I would say go full suit

With all the above and sleeveless suits being almost half the price of the same suit with sleeves its certainly worth considering going with sleeveless. I have had some issues with one of my shoulders so have no sleeves has also helped in that area

20 hours ago, Turts said:

Is price a consideration? If so, whats your value?

Yes. I don't know.  Depends what mood Dazz is in. 

20 hours ago, zed said:

You've never used sleeved or sleeveless?

I've never used sleeveless

9 hours ago, goughy said:

Are you gonna go south for races?  How often are you gonna dip your toes into longer distances?  I guess Noosa has been WS legal once or twice, and has Mool once?  Kingy was once but I think it was in April or May then, and only by the skin of it's teeth.  I wore mine for it and hopped in the water and thought the water was almost warm (no, I wasn't peeing at the time).  How often have you worn your current one since Kona?  And for what/when?

Can't believe I'm trying to talk a tri geek out of equipment!  Must be the miser in me (cept, you know, I'm not actually rich).

I'll only use it for raves that require one. I'll wear my old one for training so my me one lasts longer. 

So maybe Noosa, maybe Mba, maybe kingy, maybe Coffs (I have cousins down there so that's a race/holiday)??

50 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Yes. I don't know.  Depends what mood Dazz is in. 

I've never used sleeveless

I'll only use it for raves that require one. I'll wear my old one for training so my me one lasts longer. 

So maybe Noosa, maybe Mba, maybe kingy, maybe Coffs (I have cousins down there so that's a race/holiday)??

Probably best to stick to sleeved then. 

2 hours ago, Cranky said:

I'll only use it for raves that require one

Make sure you get a sparkly one (or furry!!) for raves - and definitely go sleeveless or you'll get too hot with all the dancing

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'm an Orca man - since 2006 when I split my QR in Taupo and they had a 2 for 1 deal (the second was a sleeveless). I now have a whole pile of them and rate them as the best in terms of fit and price. A couple of points to note, IMO: -

1) A good wetsuit won't make you a faster swimmer - only you can do that. The suit should be comfortable and not slow you down.

2) Most of them are made from rubber from the same factory in Japan (the good people at Yamamoto). Any marketing bumf that tells you that you'll swim quicker in one over another is, largely, that ... bumf.

3) Sleeveless suits are slower for most people, although they have their advantages. They tend not to be as restrictive and are easier to remove (in most cases).

Try some out and don't be driven by "[insert name of gun swimmer] uses one, so I have to get one"....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rimmer said:

I'm an Orca man - since 2006 when I split my QR in Taupo and they had a 2 for 1 deal (the second was a sleeveless). I now have a whole pile of them and rate them as the best in terms of fit and price. A couple of points to note, IMO: -

1) A good wetsuit won't make you a faster swimmer - only you can do that. The suit should be comfortable and not slow you down.

2) Most of them are made from rubber from the same factory in Japan (the good people at Yamamoto). Any marketing bumf that tells you that you'll swim quicker in one over another is, largely, that ... bumf.

3) Sleeveless suits are slower for most people, although they have their advantages. They tend not to be as restrictive and are easier to remove (in most cases).

Try some out and don't be driven by "[insert name of gun swimmer] uses one, so I have to get one"....

in reply to number

1. Yes, it will help you swim faster. In some cases a lot quicker. It also helps your confidence in the water which is also very very handy.

2. yes, the rubber is the same  in a lot of cases, however, the fabric underneath said rubber, the cut, how panels work together etc have a big difference in the way a suit will work with your body. Yes a lot of marketing bullshit, but I've worn good suits, a couple of bad ones and some awesome ones. the trick is finding one to suit your body shape the best (trial and error). It also helps to put the suit on correctly (the amount of people in ill-fitting suits and suits they don't put on correctly is crazy).

Disclaimer: I wear an ill-fitting suit because I'm too fat for it and refuse to buy a new one. If I lose 10kg or so it will be perfect. 20kgs and I will fit back into my project one 2XU suit :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Youngy2 said:

same 4 me -- except the 20s thing

I'm a crap swimmer though so not a high barrier!

(also a crap cyclist)

10 hours ago, -H- said:

Make sure you get a sparkly one (or furry!!) for raves - and definitely go sleeveless or you'll get too hot with all the dancing

Lol.  My phone does that all the time. (And I still forget to proof read)

You would think the amount of times I have typed RACES, it would know what I mean by now! 

9 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Sound good.  Thanks

8 hours ago, willie said:

in reply to number

1. Yes, it will help you swim faster. In some cases a lot quicker. It also helps your confidence in the water which is also very very handy.

2. yes, the rubber is the same  in a lot of cases, however, the fabric underneath said rubber, the cut, how panels work together etc have a big difference in the way a suit will work with your body. Yes a lot of marketing bullshit, but I've worn good suits, a couple of bad ones and some awesome ones. the trick is finding one to suit your body shape the best (trial and error). It also helps to put the suit on correctly (the amount of people in ill-fitting suits and suits they don't put on correctly is crazy).

Disclaimer: I wear an ill-fitting suit because I'm too fat for it and refuse to buy a new one. If I lose 10kg or so it will be perfect. 20kgs and I will fit back into my project one 2XU suit :)

I feel confident in the water, usually out in the top couple in my age group in the smaller races (4th last year at Noosa), but I don't want to go backwards if I buy a dodgie one. 

Maybe I should ask if there any I should stay away from. 

9 hours ago, willie said:

in reply to number

This is the most informative post n this thread 

• Like 1

If you want the best fitting and fastest suit the get a blue  seventy Helix

just wait for the 50% off deal or just ring Aquashop 

• Like 1

I reckon buying a new wetsuit is a right royal pain in the ar*se. Trying to find the best fit is on par with buying jeans or a new bra .... when you find one that fits - dont hesitate, buy it! 

49 minutes ago, surfer101 said:

I reckon buying a new wetsuit is a right royal pain in the ar*se. Trying to find the best fit is on par with buying jeans or a new bra .... when you find one that fits - dont hesitate, buy it! 

I think you're wearing your bra a bit low if it's a pain in the ar*se :D

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, ironpo said:

just wait for the 50% off deal or just ring Aquashop 

Is Nicole still up in brissie/gold coast store. She knows a shit ton about wetties and how to put em on. Pay her a visit if she's there ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, willie said:

Is Nicole still up in brissie/gold coast store. She knows a shit ton about wetties and how to put em on. Pay her a visit if she's there ;)

Yeo

and the helix is the best fitting suit across the board , so win win

50 minutes ago, ironpo said:

Yeo

and the helix is the best fitting suit across the board , so win win

When did you try the ROKA?  I have used both & prefer the Roka.

• Like 1

I had a Blue Seventy Helix, fitted by Nicole at AquaShop - and hated it. Returned it and got an el-cheapo sleevless and happy as a lark (although it's over over 10 years old and looking pretty sad).

I tried a Rocket Science suit for Roxii a few years ago and it was heaps nicer than the Helix. I think the next will be either Roka or Xterra.

57 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Me too

17 hours ago, Bored@work said:

About 10 days ago at some horrible place 

swam in all three models they had to try , not a bad suit but got nuffin on the blue seventy for fit (for me)

Edited by ironpo

17 hours ago, trinube said:

I had a Blue Seventy Helix, fitted by Nicole at AquaShop - and hated it. Returned it and got an el-cheapo sleevless and happy as a lark (although it's over over 10 years old and looking pretty sad).

I tried a Rocket Science suit for Roxii a few years ago and it was heaps nicer than the Helix. I think the next will be either Roka or Xterra.

I think you will find that all suits have gone into a different level since then 

@willie

is there a particular way you are meant to put on a wetsuit, are you able to explain for a newby?  I bought a sleeveless Roka when they were on sale almost a year ago.  I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

18 minutes ago, gerg said:

@willie

is there a particular way you are meant to put on a wetsuit, are you able to explain for a newby?  I bought a sleeveless Roka when they were on sale almost a year ago.  I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Give yourself a MASSIVE wedgie and when you have the legs and waist pulled up really high, then pull them another 2 cm and then you should be able to get the top on properly...

53 minutes ago, gerg said:

@willie

Plastic bags over the feet to pull on is the easiest way to get started.

• Like 2

Just goes to show how fit is an individual thing, I've gone from a Helix to a Roka and feel much more comfortable in the Roka, but IP says the Helix fits him better.  Best to try before you buy!*

* I didn't, but got lucky

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bored@work said:

The Roka will have little dots in it that should be above the knee etc check their website for details

Are they dots or dimples?

We all know dimples make u go faster 

On 25/10/2017 at 9:31 AM, ironpo said:

I think you will find that all suits have gone into a different level since then 

Are you saying I'm old?  :wheelchair: