Cranky

Aero Helmet

I'm predicting a bit of a lull around here now that Kona is over so I thought I'd do my part for the forum. 

I'm in need of a new helmet for racing only. IVPs has a crack in the foam (for 12 months now oops). Happened in travel sometime.

Dazz said I won't fall off so don't worry.  Lol! 

Best bang for buck aero? 

Go ...

• Like 1

Unfortunately there is no right answer. Everyone is different when it comes to aero helmets, based on how they ride and position their head. What is awesome for me may be really bad for you. The only real way to find out which is best for you is to do some aero testing (for example, with Alex Simmons in Sydney) or visit a wind tunnel. 

That said, there are helmets that seem to perform better on 'most' people. The Kask Bambino is one and the newest Giro (Aerohead) is another. There is an older LG that also apparently did well on people, the P-09. You might find a cheap one of these? 

Alex might be able to put his 2c in re: helmets that generally do well.

• Like 1

Just put glad wrap over your road helmet 

that all aero helmets are , normal helmets with no holes

the holes/vents in road helmets is what makes em non aero helmets

• Like 1

Buy one of the 'ugly' bolle helmets I use which comes with 2 clip in covers for the vents.  Then you only need the one helmet.

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

I'm predicting a bit of a lull around here now that Kona is over so I thought I'd do my part for the forum. 

I'm in need of a new helmet for racing only. IVPs has a crack in the foam (for 12 months now oops). Happened in travel sometime.

Best bang for buck aero? 

Go ...

Most of the cheap Aero helmets are shit, at least the ones I've used i.e visor flopped about, plastic bits fell off. Latest generation Kask Bambino is brilliant. Shop around and get yourself a 2nd hand one. I got for $245. Get the latest gen one as it has better magnets for the visor. Plus you don't look like a complete twat when wearing one. 

Protect your head and ride your bike.   Anything that protects you skull for cracking in the occurrence of an accident is much more beneficial then a helmet that is classed as aero and may save you minimal and I mean minimal time in a race.  

Easy to say you will never have a crash, that's how I used to think, but having had two big ones, I know my helmet has played a pretty important role in saving me head from being messed up. 

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Save your money & earn your watts.  Get up at 3am

No u still have buy  them at 3am

2am is the new black 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, zed said:

Yep ive got one of these too.

I wanted a race helmet with a visor at a decent peice. Very comfy. I have the visor flipped for donning in t1 and flip it around once on the course. 

I recently also purchased the Giro Air Attack. I found it comfy in a couple of training rides. I haven't tried the visor yet.

Zed - what are they like in the heat? Am I going to cook at IMWA.

49 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

I recently also purchased the Giro Air Attack. I found it comfy in a couple of training rides. I haven't tried the visor yet.

They're fine in the heat. The ears aren't covered and the visor is mid size so only covers half the face. It's the most comfy helmet I've owned. I'm surprised they're not more popular. 

Edited by zed
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, zed said:

They're fine in the heat. The ears aren't covered and the visor is mid size so only covers half the face. It's the most comfy helmet I've owned. I'm surprised they're not more popular. 

Agreed

Cos they have been superseded aerowise and are ugly as sin, and you know its all about how good you look

• Haha 1

The new Giro Vanquish replacement for the Air Attack looks alright ...

I hate my old aero helmet, too noisy, and nuisance long tail, and if hot day can't wear it, but ok for just the odd race, providing forecast in 20s. Been looking at road aero helmets for 3-4 years now, new designs might be a better tradeoff.

11 hours ago, Cranky said:

Thanks goodness we have you Crankster! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

Jan was wearing the Oakley on. That is the only way to go

Look what happened to him ?

Guest FFF1077
21 hours ago, ironpo said:

No u still have buy  them at 3am

2am is the new black 

What's the reference to the early starts all about? 🤔:huh:

From another thread? 

Sorry I don't get it...? 

On another thread it's indicated that you're not serious if you don't get up to train at 3am (only semi tongue in cheek)

Guest FFF1077
52 minutes ago, goughy said:

On another thread it's indicated that you're not serious if you don't get up to train at 3am (only semi tongue in cheek)

Cheers 

I was feeling self conscious. I get up at at least 3am 10 out of 14 days to train.... Have to if I want to get better and still get to work on time. 

On 10/20/2017 at 8:31 AM, TimG said:

Unfortunately there is no right answer. Everyone is different when it comes to aero helmets, based on how they ride and position their head. What is awesome for me may be really bad for you. The only real way to find out which is best for you is to do some aero testing (for example, with Alex Simmons in Sydney) or visit a wind tunnel. 

That said, there are helmets that seem to perform better on 'most' people. The Kask Bambino is one and the newest Giro (Aerohead) is another. There is an older LG that also apparently did well on people, the P-09. You might find a cheap one of these? 

Alex might be able to put his 2c in re: helmets that generally do well.

2c

Yeah, helmets are individual. The Bambino and the Giro are generally a safe choice (esp the Bambino) and if it's not optimal for you, it's not usually by much.

After we test helmets people are then well placed to know if the aero advantages of a helmet are worth any disadvantages such as being less comfortable / ventilation etc. Some helmets also restrict what aero positions you can adopt on the bike, so it's more than simply the helmet's aerodynamics on you, it's how it affects other aero options you have available as well.

• Like 1

On 20/10/2017 at 12:20 PM, zed said:

Ive got one too. Love it

On 10/20/2017 at 5:06 PM, surfer101 said:

Bambino kask - best magpie protection you can get 😊

I'm in a Specialized Evade, the bugger could only skid across the top ^_^

• Haha 1

On 20/10/2017 at 2:06 PM, surfer101 said:

Bambino kask - best magpie protection you can get 😊

Yup, as much as I love my Air Attack, it doesn't protect against the maggies.IMG_2778.thumb.PNG.df8b8682c98628169b0e70e0d8863be7.PNG

• Sad 2

25 minutes ago, zed said:

Yup, as much as I love my Air Attack, it doesn't protect against the maggies.IMG_2778.thumb.PNG.df8b8682c98628169b0e70e0d8863be7.PNG

Laughing in the face of hell incarnate .  Kudos 💪

• Like 2

19 hours ago, zed said:

Great pic

i love magpies 

On 21 October 2017 at 7:27 PM, zed said:

Hey Zed - assuming that is also you in your profile pic? Do you put magpie seed in your left earlobe?

10 hours ago, longshot said:

How come you look so amused? :)

Ha ha I'm not sure!

Has anyone tried or tested the Giant Rivet TT? Looks like a modern short ish tail TT helmet with out the excessive price of the other options, and that Domoulin fella seems to go ok in it. 

14 minutes ago, Mr E said:

Has anyone tried or tested the Giant Rivet TT? Looks like a modern short ish tail TT helmet with out the excessive price of the other options, and that Domoulin fella seems to go ok in it. 

But it's a Giant

• Like 1

I'm looking at getting one of the Giro Aerohead, but hard to find in a medium.   Mainly so I look like someone out of star wars....:lol: not to make me faster

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Limited said:

I'm looking at getting one of the Giro Aerohead, but hard to find in a medium.   Mainly so I look like someone out of star wars....:lol: not to make me faster

I think I bought the last one in the world at about April this year!

On 20/10/2017 at 7:14 AM, Cranky said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

On 20/10/2017 at 10:10 AM, Fitness Buddy said:

Easy to say you will never have a crash, that's how I used to think, but having had two big ones, I know my helmet has played a pretty important role in saving me head from being messed up. 

This

On 20/10/2017 at 11:20 AM, zed said:

Unavailable 

On 20/10/2017 at 11:41 AM, Ironnerd said:

Did you? 🌋🌡🔥

Screenshot_20200109-093009_Chrome.jpg

Any updates? 

I bought a S-works Evade. It has now been retired. Haven't been able to find another small one anywhere. 

20190811_070715.jpg

20190820_082236.jpg

20190811_070722.jpg

20190820_082229.jpg

Just grab a Rudy Project Boost, can be had cheap enough (I scored mine for $99 on sale)

57 minutes ago, trickle said:

Just grab a Rudy Project Boost, can be had cheap enough (I scored mine for $99 on sale)

I reckon Cranky's head is pretty small like mine, I tried on the small Boost at Noosa last year, still too big.

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, AA7 said:

I reckon Cranky's head is pretty small like mine, I tried on the small Boost at Noosa last year, still too big.

How is that possible when you have both been to Kona....?

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, AA7 said:

You a small in your Evade?

I’m definitely not a small, but I just got a POC Omni Air Spin that I like. 

55 minutes ago, Cranky said:

You a small in your Evade?

Yep

3 hours ago, pieman said:

How is that possible when you have both been to Kona....?

Haha, very funny. Kona isn't really a big deal is it? 

• Confused 1