Nath.

Kona race day thread

Just got back to our resort after a day of supporting. Took less interest in the pro event than if I was at home. 

Clocked up 30000 steps for the day. Up at 4:30, writing this at 11:00 pm. Changed shirts during the day due to sweat. No idea how you can do the event.

Parked in the Walmart lot all day without issue. Heaps of others did too. Saw AP’s charges, George Hulse & Deepak Raj. Saw heaps of other cool people running around. Watched my mate convert his legacy spot into a Kona finish, which was awesome.

Didnt spot any other a Tranny hats.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

Just IVP's wife to go I think

Eta 6:13 pm AEST

Rosie finished in 14.52, I saw some pics of her running with her friend and she looked comfortable and happy.  She was a doubtful starter earlier in the week with the flu, so it was really good to see her do it and enjoy it.  No doubt IP can fill in the details when he gets up at 4am tomorrow Hawaii time ;-)

• Like 5

Awesome job. Sometimes things happen that are out of your control.  Gutsy effort getting out there & getting it finished. 

Missed the whole pro show, I was in workshop all day. Just read through all 11 pages for the race recap. Thanks for commentary. But Geez you lot are a tough crowd. 

:whip:

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, iFoz said:

But Geez you lot are a tough crowd

Go and read the PJ thread for a harsh review.

Today was the first time in 28 years that Mark Allen’s winning time of 8:09 was not good enough for top 3. Only 4th 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ive just finished reading the 11 pages.  Nice work everyone.

I got to watch the last 10km of the Male Pro Race.  what an awesome display of courage from Sanders.  Lange was just fabulous in the parts I saw of him.  Sanders looks like a wheelchair for a few days will be in order. I was out all day and what a day of tracking people on the phone. I had no drop outs on the tracker all day..  Im truely amazed. I hear the Red Bull app is awesome and has a 9 hour highlights package .  Thats tomorrows job.  

It was so nice to see a few trannies go out there and have a great day living dreams or achieving what they trained so hard for.  

MountainBoy did a great time of 10:11 with a 3:47 marathon.

Mrs IP looks like she was having a blast out there from the pics ive seen.  Keeping a friend company.  

TGL.  bloody hell mate if you had only picked up the pace to sub 3;20/km for the last 41 km you would have had a new PB.  I had faith in you all the way to get to the end and fulfill the dream so many of us have.  I wish Id been there to talk shit for the whole 42 km but if that was the case we probably wouldnt have got to the end.  Well done mate. Ticked that box well and truely.  

A few x club mates also raced today and im almost inspired to get off my fat arse and go for a run tomorrow.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I started watching the replay on Red Bull straight after they stopped the live coverage.

inspirational stuff by all.

and how bloody fast was Amberger in the swim. Never seen a guy with that much clear water. Aussies take the swim and bike primes 👍🏼.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ratdog said:

MountainBoy did a great time of 10:11 with a 3:47 marathon.

I agree.  What about his bike of 5:13.  WOW.  Marc was so impressive.

• Like 2

On 14/10/2017 at 12:43 PM, Peter said:

Sanders looks to be slowing 

Most did 8-9 min pbs. 

Clearly there was zero wind for the pros 

Pretty much no wind all day ( compared to normal)

much cooler also

On 14/10/2017 at 12:41 PM, Nath. said:

The champ didn’t like the boys pushing the bike 

Yep

On 15/10/2017 at 8:43 AM, Peter said:

Sanders looks to be slowing 

Most did 8-9 min pbs. 

Clearly there was zero wind for the pros 

"clearly"??

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, ironpo said:

Pretty much no wind all day ( compared to normal)

much cooler also

cooler? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Awesome effort Burgs, Congratulations on first out of the water. Would love to hear your thoughts on the race 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hey_burgs said:

cooler? 

Yes mate 

I been here 5 times and this is the coolest I've ever felt it here by far 

I spent most of the day driveing  up and down from hawi ( yelled at you a few times )keeping the aid stations stocked and again not as hot and not  as windy  , the wind gets far worse then what was happening yesterday 

we stood at mile 17 (road marker) which is where the crosswinds are at their worst watching you guys go up  , and the guy who has worked at this race forever and lived on the island 🌴 all his life said the same 

still not easy on the decent though , especially at the speeds you top blokes are pushing down there

simply amazing 

Kona. The top 10 all very impressive and all, but I've just seen the Male 70-74 age group winner did 12:29.

That's utterly absurd.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peter said:

Kona. The top 10 all very impressive and all, but I've just seen the Male 70-74 age group winner did 12:29.

That's utterly absurd.

Pretty sure AP is aiming for sub 12 next year when he ages up ...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hey_burgs said:

cooler? 

Any chance you want to give us a run down on your day? Pre race thoughts/plans and how it all went down?

Well done on qualifying, racing and performing.

• Like 1

Well done Burgs, good debut performance including an impressive swim. I thought you might had some company in the swim but you either blew they off or they decided to take the easy option and sit in the first pack? Would you do anything different strategy wise in hindsight/if you had the time again? 

Yeah Bergs, good job mate. I was stoked to see you lighting it up. Good on ya 😎🤘

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peter said:

That's utterly absurd.

Yep

Overlooked in all this excitement is Andy Potts. 40 years young. Huge personal best (and if I’m not wrong absolutely smashing Dave Scott’s over 40 record time for Kona). First American. Equal best personal finish for a very close 7th.

Chapeau Mr Potts!

• Like 1