AA7

Kona Counts

Toronto-based Cervelo again took top honors in the bike category maintaining position with 570 bikes, with Trek and Specialized a distant second and third. While the top five brands from a year ago maintained their positions (Cervelo, Trek, Specialized, Felt and Argon 18, respectively,  Germany’s Canyon representing the biggest mover, from 39 bikes a year ago (15th most on the pier) to 102 to rank fifth this year.

BIKES

Cervelo 570

Trek 261

Specialized 216

Felt 177

Argon 18 146

Canyon 102

BMC 101

Scott 100

Giant 88

Quintana Roo 84

Ceepo 65

Cannondale 64

Ventum 37

Fuji 37

Dimond 31

Orbea 28

Kuota 23

Look 15

Cube 14

Boardman 13

Planet X 13

Parlee 12

Kestrel 11

Swift 11

BH 10

Focus 10

Ridley 8

Guru 8

Diamondback 7

Merida 7

Airstreem 7

Louis Garneau 6

Blue 6

Rose 5

Colnago 5

Pinarello 4

Stevens 4

Litespeed 4

Simplon 4

Wilier 4

Storck 3

Jamis 3

Avanti 3

Cipollini 3

Merckx 2

Premier 2

Griffen 2

CDR 2

Dolan 2

Squad 1

DeVinci 1

Neil Pryde 1

C14 1

Silverback 1

Boma 1

Kaiser 1

Dassi 1

MMR 1

Centurion 1

Cyprion 1

Beyond 1

Avenger 1

Ace 1

Velenka 1

Bianchi 1

Waldora 1

Tropix 1

Elite 1

Blackhawk 1

Cupra 1

Hongfu 1

TNI 1

Javelin 1

Haibike 1

Wolfbike 1

Python 1

Metia 1

Featherlight 1

Author 1

Rafa 1

KTM 1

Curtio 1

Titanos 1

Redding 1

Zannata 1

Supra R 1

Thompson 1

Voss 1

Marinoni 1

CKT 1

Cucuma 1

Isaac 1

Ribble 1

Corratec 1

Alle Bike 1

Bottechia 1

Everest 1

Maystrom 1

Lynskey 1

Eternity 1

DeRosa 1

Victorie 1

Beacon 1

Time 1

DT 1

Motobecane 1

Misc/unbranded: 11

Was looking for the familiar 

Cheetah 1

but I guess Natascha is not racing.

Seemed a lot of them I thought!  Rapstar must have been doing his job well to start with.

Just now, goughy said:

Seemed a lot of them I thought!  Rapstar must have been doing his job well to start with.

They were probably all freebies Rapp gave away at various times. Surely nobody good enough to get to Hawaii would buy one?

I am interested to hear people's thoughts on why Cervelo more than doubles the bike count of other brands. The aerodynamics are negligible, and the advertising of the major brands is on par with Formula 1, yet this brand advantage is quite incredible when you consider the road riding market is alot closer.

The original P2 and P3 we just such a sought after bike I reckon.... everyone wants a Cervelo!

I think the yanks who are a majority here support their "locals" and ride more cervelo trek and specialized...  not many yanks on giants, boardman, bmc etc...

1 hour ago, Tryline said:

Did I hear today that Ventum had some new triathlon bike coming out next Yr? 

I must have missed that 

11 minutes ago, -H- said:

I must have missed that 

Yeah they were talking to the bloke with Krusty the clown looking haircut and he was excited about a new more triathlon specific bike next yr. Was one the ads plugging Ventum blah blah.

Sorry, need a sarcasm emoji.  They mentioned it every 5 minutes (or seemed like it)

3 hours ago, bumcrackjack said:

I am interested to hear people's thoughts on why Cervelo more than doubles the bike count of other brands. The aerodynamics are negligible, and the advertising of the major brands is on par with Formula 1, yet this brand advantage is quite incredible when you consider the road riding market is alot closer.

I think they have a reputation for having the fastest bikes and they can be bought for a reasonable price compared to other TT/Tri bikes.

When I bought my P3 classic there was nothing that looked remotely as aerodynamic and the others were more expensive. Even now with the consumer newP3, I think Cervelo give away nothing in TT/Tri bike design at comparable price points and it rides on the reputation of the P5 as being the fastest bike on course.

If you're looking for top end superbikes, I think Cervelo are also there and with the P5 they have been the benchmark that every other manufacturer compares their superbikes to.

• Like 2

Random comments

They are no longer a Canadian brand - bought out 5 years back by PON (who do Focus I think). 
3x original designers are gone I think.  Vroom White and ?

When I came back into riding after a decade out, I went to an S2 as I liked the brand and the Aero story and it was a cool looking bike.
A few months later, I was in Hawaii and a p4 was fro sale real cheap (Bike Works I think).  Guys told me they sell a few new bikes each year as people fly in with the measurements and then race... no idea if true and how much this changes things

Triathletes are sheep a bit.  Zipp wheels and Cervelo bikes ... bbaaa  (I do not exclude myself from being a sheep!  -I own 3 Cervelos.  1 Road (s3), 2 x TT P1 (Aluminium) and a P5 ).  

On 10/15/2017 at 5:28 PM, Alex Simmons said:

Kona power meter long usage term trend 2009-2017:

Balance of data in blog post:

http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com.au/2017/10/kona-power-meter-usage-trends-2009-to.html

I think this graph is what everyone wants to see.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-05_7ZXTVKGM/WeLzEm6b6VI/AAAAAAAACIk/WFlmID2z4hIKSVxkiXauOPnk97mSUBejQCLcBGAs/s1600/Kona%2BPowermeters%2B2017%2Btable.jpg

Kona Powermeters 2017 table.jpg

Edited by Peter