Naut

Melbourne Marathon

So work are funding Melb Marathon #6 for me. Underdone, but not the worst condition I will have toed the start line in.

Anyone else in?

Not real fit so only doing the half - and a pretty slow one at that.   :(

Will be awesome to enter the 'G as I suspect there may still be the cheers from the Tigers' win echoing through the stands :)

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

Cool, even without the closed roads I am sure you will smash my time!

6 hours ago, Naut said:

Cool, even without the closed roads I am sure you will smash my time!

Good luck with your run Naut

• Thanks 1

Best conditions I have ever run in. Absolutely perfect.

Ran with the 3:30 pacer and kept expecting to hit the wall and drop off. It wasn't until the downhills around the Tan at about the 37km mark that I drifted off the back. Did it hard for a couple of kms but came good in the last km. 

Finished in 3:30:58 which is a bit off my pb. But with a less than perfect prep, I am pretty happy with that.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Naut said:

Best conditions I have ever run in. Absolutely perfect.

Ran with the 3:30 pacer and kept expecting to hit the wall and drop off. It wasn't until the downhills around the Tan at about the 37km mark that I drifted off the back. Did it hard for a couple of kms but came good in the last km. 

Finished in 3:30:58 which is a bit off my pb. But with a less than perfect prep, I am pretty happy with that.

Good work Naut.  Was stellar day

• Like 1

The mrs went okay. Said amazing conditions. Great day for a sub 4 and a debut marathon. 

Officially faster than any marathon ive ever done. 

And shes letting me know it. 

17C443DE-22B3-475F-A103-110646187D9A.jpeg

• Like 3

Ripper day.  The MCG did not disappoint. A slow half for me but just the kick in the pants I need to get back some fitness for the tri season! :)

• Like 1

A bit of banter on the marathon facebook group over slow halfers not moving over for the marathoners - as this was around the 30k mark for the marathoners you can understand they are pretty upset about this (the 30k mark of marathon is not a good time to test someone's patience!).  I noted this at the time - the marshals were yelling at the group to move left but some seemed to arrogantly hold their ground and not make way.  From what I saw I think this may have been because they had earphones in and could not actually hear the marshals instructions....

• Like 1

Pete my nephew did the mara and did a 3:29 and said it was a joke. So many would just stop at drink stations like they were at a bar on a friday night 

It's a big event with high participation, so you kind of expect a few challenges.

But yeah, the merging with the half-marathoners and later the 10km bunch was a real problem. The 3:30 pacer I was with was yelling for them to move left, as the 3:30 bus was coming and it doesn't stop for anyone. Some people got the message, some were oblivious and a few got agro.

With the timing of when the half-marathon starts, it means that the pace differential is huge. We were running 5 min/km past half-marathoners doing 6+ min/km. I clipped a few of them, just trying to get around. I get that they are just running their race, but some of their awareness was appalling. Not to mention that running on our section of road meant they had to run further when their course went off to the left.

I remember this being a problem years ago and they shorted it out. Not sure whether it is the growing number of participants that has made it an issue again? Actually, the numbers are so big these days that in a few places the course was actually too narrow.

The drink stations are ok, just stay wide and swing in at the last couple of tables. Everyone else goes to the first two tables and stops and props.

1 hour ago, truck said:

Just me or does an average HR of 159bpm across the whole field seem a bit high for an endurance event?

I guess you have to look at how many wore HR monitors and the pace they were running. My HR tends to be a bit on the lower side (low max) and I averaged 153.

If i run 5min k pace my hr is on 135bpm. 

5:30k pace it sits on 125bpm. 

Its extremely annoying as trainingpeaks screws me with my run rTSS because of it. 

For a full marathon?

Mine started in the mid 140s but was consistently over 150 by the mid point. It also started to get a bit warmer by then.

Capture.JPG

1 hour ago, Pete said:

A bit of banter on the marathon facebook group over slow halfers not moving over for the marathoners - as this was around the 30k mark for the marathoners you can understand they are pretty upset about this (the 30k mark of marathon is not a good time to test someone's patience!).  I noted this at the time - the marshals were yelling at the group to move left but some seemed to arrogantly hold their ground and not make way.  From what I saw I think this may have been because they had earphones in and could not actually hear the marshals instructions....

Hence why I will not pay to run 42.2km anymore.  Same issue in 2010, 11 

As for headphones or plugs immediate DQ if you ask me.