longshot

Obesity being classified as a disease

An article today in The Australian "Obesity is a disease, not a choice, so let’s treat it, seriously".  It is an op-ed piece from president of the Australia and New Zealand Obesity Society. Behind a paywall so   just a clip from it:

Today, the Australian and New Zealand Obesity Society will release a policy that provides a different take on this, stating that obesity is in fact a “chronic relapsing disease process”.

The statement brings Australia into line with a growing body of international researchers stating that obesity is as much a consequence of biology and genetics as are cancer and arthritis.

Here's a link to the full article, but don't think it will be generally readable

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/obesity-is-a-disease-not-a-choice-so-lets-treat-it-seriously/news-story/

Over 200 comments on the article, vast majority disagreeing with the policy, including many who have been obese and lost weight, but some disagreeing and saying have tried everything and at wits end.

I cant find the same article or statement elsewhere, but here's a bit more on the ANSOS website

http://anzos.com/australian-obesity-management-algorithm

What I find worse is that apparently the Turnbull government rejected a request from 30 organisations for national strategy to tackle obesity. Surely it has to be a national health priority!

FWIW (not much) my view is that  the obesity epidemic will overwhelm the health system, and it should be a national health priority and  a national strategy. Similar to the campaigns on smoking, drinking and seat belts, in fact perhaps replacing them. It  over-rides nanny state and personal obligation arguments, although people must assume some responsibility.   I don't think it is easy for many people to lose weight. Doctors must  get pretty despondent about it.  I personally know - like most of us I guess -  people who seemingly havent been able to stop eating their way to diabetes T2, was tragic to see. I also know people who have smoked their way to lung cancer and early death, and  people who have drunk their way to decades long stupor.

Certainly a lot more to obesity than the CICO crap that all government and health professionals pedal as the answer.

Turnbull has not interest in the topic at all, which is really disappointing. 

5 hours ago, Niseko said:

Certainly a lot more to obesity than the CICO crap that all government and health professionals pedal as the answer.

Turnbull has not interest in the topic at all, which is really disappointing. 

Especially disappointing as he paid $5k to go through a Chinese herbalist doctor to lose his weight ( as did Eddie what’s his name from Chanel 9 and collingwood). 

Should also have tax incentives on exercise equipment if they are serious about reducing the cost of Medicare. 

Ill give Turnbull his dews though, he has kept the liberals together and no one thought he would with that pork chop mad monk destabilizing in the back ground at every opportunity. 

Edited by Oompa Loompa

it's just a symbol of today's society where everything is someone or something else's fault 

blaming obeisty on genetics or as a disease  is flipping ridiculous , if that was the case why did it not excist 50 years ago 

genetics haven't evolved since then but our lazy , all scoffing  , meme lifestyle has 

I will totally agree that some  people are genetically predisposed to putting on more weight than others , I am one and we have a granddaughter who is one also 

(but this also hasn't just appeared in the last 50 years)

she is a twin and one is thin and the other is solid , but we as a family work continually to keep her weight at bay , and thus will continue for everyday of her life 

she knows she is a bigger girl and accepts that she has to work hard (and it is hard) to keep her at a healthy weight 

every person has the ability to control their own weight by what they put in their mouth . It's that bloody simple

• Like 2

Governments and society have to get rid of the PC crap and start calling these people who are overweight a burden on society (as they are obesity and type 2 diabetics are the biggest drainer on the western health system and will completely ruin it if something isn't done now) 

they have to be told to stop eating , start loosing weight or they will loose benifits of our health care and welfare etc ( and their kids if they are overweight, childhood obesity is out of control and their arnt too many obese kids with skinny parents) f a child was underweight and malnourished then the child would be removed but absolutely nothing is done or even said if the child (and parent) is overweight 

whats the difference?

the difference is that being overweight in our society today  is totally acceptable because it's becoming the norm and in a way a joke or a badge of honour to say or well I could loose a few pounds , or too many hotdog ect 

very few people come back to a healthy weight after being FAT so it's best to have policies to try and prevent this looming crisis not dilly dally around it by saying 

it's OK it's your genes doing this to you

its freaking not , it's you that's in control,  you are fat , you are a burden on society , the health care systems  and your family etc  , only you can do anything about it

People have to start (told or directed too) loosing weight when they are a max of 10 kegs over or 5 for a kid 

not 100 kegs overweight 

as 99.9% of people will never loose weight and keep it off they just keep getting bigger so the attitude has to kick in early 

thats never gunna happen while it's totally acceptable to be fat (overweight) 

this change attitude across the board is the ONLY thing that will halt the obesity generation(s)

rant over 

no more from me

Genetics must certainly have changed in the past 35 years.

We had 1 fat kid in our grade at Primary school. Just 1. I hate to say it, but yes, they were made fun of.

My son gets called names at school sometimes. Bet you can't guess why.

He's the skinny one.

Mine gets picked on at times too, for the opposite reason. You've met him Ex. He also hasn't had his growth spurt yet where many of the boys in his class stand a head or more taller now. But it has always been a fight to get him active. I'd hoped he'd take after me, but he's like my wife. My daughter is a different story, her shadow disappears into cracks in the sidewalk.

My wife pretty much started gaining weight from when we started dating (so it's my fault). Over the years she's had/got multiple conditions that can affect weight and her ability to be mobile. She's on disability now, and has been paid out on two tpd claims, and insurance companies really like giving out money easily. While she was still working but had gained a lot of weight and was (unbeknownst to us getting sicker) it got to the point that the only way I could get her to do something about it was to threaten to leave (which torments me to this day as we know it wasn't really her fault, but we didn't know). Rather than the usual things, I could do the Wesley Hospital had a weight loss clinic with a base in Toowoomba, so we contracted her to that. Included was regular visits with nutritionist, psychologist, and exercise physiologist. She struggled with the exercise, and even with their help she continued to gain. Once her first diagnosis' cam through they released her from her contract as they knew it wouldn't help.

She's never been into softdrink or biscuits. She drinks water or coffee, and eats only really one meal a day with a little bit for breakfast. I do all the shopping and she doesn't have much around in snack foods. I've pretty much given up hope things will change be for her. What worries me most is that our son sees her doing nothing and is following her lead rather than mine.  But I have no clue what we can do for her anymore.

• Like 1

The government dietary guidelines are what changed and why obesity has become rampant.  Pure and simple. 

944AAFAA-F4C5-4EE3-B70D-A4283CEDB89D.jpeg

EA848796-3DC5-416F-884A-0D4A68024AD8.jpeg

35 minutes ago, goughy said:

Mine gets picked on at times too, for the opposite reason. You've met him Ex. He also hasn't had his growth spurt yet where many of the boys in his class stand a head or more taller now.

Don't worry too much yet Goughy. Not sure if Heath was around when you dropped over, but he was always a "little chubby" up until about 2 years ago. A few of my family used to have light hearted digs at me about him (I didn't want anyone hassling him due to his other issues). Then he suddenly shot up and the tummy disappeared. He's not as skinny as any of my family were at that age, but still heaps skinnier than most these days.

And his idea of activity is walking 400m down the road to play X-Box at his mates place, although a couple of them have just started going to the gym twice a week, so I'm pleased about that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, longshot said:

FWIW (not much) my view is that  the obesity epidemic will overwhelm the health system, and it should be a national health priority and  a national strategy. Similar to the campaigns on smoking, drinking and seat belts, in fact perhaps replacing them.

They are doing it. There's ads on every night about "that fat around your organs" and "your results don't look normal". There's also the anti-smoking ads. The problem is that these are token gestures - highly visible but unlikely to make any great difference.

The entire system for health recommendations needs to be re-assessed by independent bodies with no vested interests. It's pointless having Kellogs sponsor surveys into what constitutes a healthy breakfast. It's been apparent for the last 40 years we have done something seriously wrong with our health recommendations and the government - and more importantly the medical community - need to take up the baton, admit they got it wrong, and rewrite the guidlines.

My guess is that health costs will continue to be the greatest burden on both society and the treasury and someone needs to have the balls to make changes that will fix it.

• Like 1

I still think the Medicare Levy should be indexed to (preventable) health status.

Obesity, smoking, type 2 diabetes  all preventable diseases that will increase your reliance on the health system should increase your premium. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Niseko said:

The government dietary guidelines are what changed and why obesity has become rampant.  Pure and simple. 

944AAFAA-F4C5-4EE3-B70D-A4283CEDB89D.jpeg

EA848796-3DC5-416F-884A-0D4A68024AD8.jpeg

Correlation is not causation.

chart.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

22 minutes ago, roxii said:

I still think the Medicare Levy should be indexed to (preventable) health status.

Obesity, smoking, type 2 diabetes  all preventable diseases that will increase your reliance on the health system should increase your premium. 

Love the idea, but taxing the product is a much better way for those first 2. 

If your Medicare levy went up because of obesity, I could just see the difficulty getting in to the gym in the month leading up to "Medicare weigh-in time", and you can imagine the outcry if weigh-in is just after Xmas. :)

34 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

Correlation is not causation.

What evidence do you have that it's not the case of our health decline?

It doesn't require the brain of Einstein to believe if the population is told to adopt a particular diet and there's an immediate, prominent and consistent increase in obesity and obesity related diseases, that those phenomena are related. Sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees...

58 minutes ago, roxii said:

Yep. You would hope the same could apply to Private Health Cover as well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, trinube said:

It doesn't require the brain of Einstein to believe if the population is told to adopt a particular diet and there's an immediate, prominent and consistent increase in obesity and obesity related diseases, that those phenomena are related. Sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees...

I would hazard a guess that those graphs would also correlate with the increase in mechanization, the uptake in TVs and cars, increase in office style work, and generally  greater sedentary lifestyles. 

Not saying either is wrong or right, but probably a little from column A and a little from column B 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, roxii said:

I would hazard a guess that those graphs would also correlate with the increase in mechanization, the uptake in TVs and cars, increase in office style work, and generally  greater sedentary lifestyles. 

Not saying either is wrong or right, but probably a little from column A and a little from column B 

Possibly, but the most direct effect on our waistline comes from what we put in our mouths.

• Like 1

Just now, trinube said:

Possibly, but the most direct effect on our waistline comes from what we put in our mouths.

No doubt, I also meant to put in with my earlier post that it probably also correlates to the availability and affordability of processed foods/ junk foods/ takeaway foods and other calorie dense foods, of every type.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, trinube said:

What evidence do you have that it is the cause of our health decline?

I think that it is a multi factor problem - diet, exercise, TV, reduced manual work, fast food, reduced manual labour around the home, etc.

David "Avocado" Wolfe uses a similar graph showing autism rates and the start of vaccinations to imply causation. Statistics can be manipulated to support your argument. 

8 minutes ago, trinube said:

The problem being that the 'government recommendations' are not being followed. Apparently the guidelines are followed by around 5% of the population (not what we 'think' we are doing- whar we actually eat!). So, to cite the change in guidelines as the reason is just nonsensical.

Selective use of data is no help. For example, in the US the rate of sugar consumption has been dropping since the early 2000s, but the rate of obesity has continued to rise. The anti-sugar campaigners like to stop their graphs at year 2000 because including more recent data doesn't support their narrative

Calorie in/calorie out actually does work, but it's not that simple. Psychology, perception, marketing, set-point, etc., are all confounding factors on the basic physics.

15 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

What evidence do you have that it is the cause of our health decline?

Even mainstream medical science is beginning to come to the conclusion we got it wrong. I notice you didn't offer any evidence to the contrary. It's all very good to flippantly post a Nicholas Cage meme to support your case but I think the evidence as posted by Niseko is probably more valuable.

7 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Should also have tax incentives on exercise equipment if they are serious about reducing the cost of Medicare. 

Not sure if ebay can handle that many second hand treadmills hitting the market at once 12 months after this was initiated or not

Government is probably hanging out for the war on ice use to offset the war on obesity - it will all even out