Peter

Ironman Spain now Draft Legal

I'd like to say that is a bit hard to judge with them slowing down to cross a roundabout....... I'd like to say that, but the size of that bunch...... I won't say it.....

They're all on the hoods, it's just a slow section where everyone's bunched up.  Not sure how much benefit you get drafting at 18km/hr.

Had a mate racing so was looking at the results the other day. Looks quicker than IM Mel!  I think 15 people sub 10 in 50-54 with one of them riding a 4.30....  Seen some suggestion that the bike was ~4K short and it’s flat and hot melt road but does make you wonder. 

Bunch of keyboard warriors. How many have you have won Kona or even qualified for Kona.

In other news, does anyone have accommodation recommendations in Spain.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zed said:

They're all on the hoods, it's just a slow section where everyone's bunched up.  Not sure how much benefit you get drafting at 18km/hr.

Yeah, I get that. And I've been "generous" to people when they've gotten a bit closer on uphill sections and coming into corners. You can expect a bit of bunching then. But that's not bunching, that's a bunch!

13 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Bunch of keyboard warriors. How many have you have won Kona or even qualified for Kona.

In other news, does anyone have accommodation recommendations in Spain.

Based on the referendum results it might not be in Spain next year. 

• Like 1

Zed, why stop there. Busso, Port, Cairns and yes let's hear it, MELBOURNE. All draft fests like Spain, lol.

14 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Ah the memories - 2004 Forster. Where are the Grangers?

We can't say anything about PJ or you label us a keyboard warrior who have never won Kona.

But you are happy to insinuate the Grangers drafted at IM Foster 2004.

3 hours ago, Bored@work said:

We can't say anything about PJ or you label us a keyboard warrior who have never won Kona.

I never called anyone a keyboard warrior. Nor was I denying your right to yeah talk PJ - just pointing out  that what PJ posted on social media made sense, given where he’s at in the taper period. ... but hey, ‘facts’ ...

As for the Granger’s I’m not the first one to make the observation. It was a fact that in successive Ironman races Belinda rode behind Justin’s wheel for 180km. Everybody saw it. Personally, it think it was a drafting avoidance strategy - she could trust him to keep a constant tempo so she didn’t fall inside the (then) 7 metre zone. ...

20 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

As for the Granger’s I’m not the first one to make the observation. It was a fact that in successive Ironman races Belinda rode behind Justin’s wheel for 180km. Everybody saw it. Personally, it think it was a drafting avoidance strategy - she could trust him to keep a constant tempo so she didn’t fall inside the (then) 7 metre zone. ...

Just ask blew (PETER) what he thinks on the matter 

your right it was a drafting strategy (of some type) and done at multiple events over a long period of time 

So have you booked your flights yet B@W

this race has your name written all over it ( except it's not in the US) but I'm sure u will travel further afield to chase that super fast course 

Flights are not booked, but we will be going to Spain next year.  I think this will be my best chance at getting a spot for Kona.

AP's comments have inspired me.  

How common is drafting amongst the pros? Seems to be a few that get pinged. Was it Pat Lange that got pinged twice at Kona last year? 

5 hours ago, ironpo said:

Just ask blew (PETER) what he thinks on the matter 

your right it was a drafting strategy (of some type) and done at multiple events over a long period of time 

Belinda and I are great mates now.  Seriously.

I move on pretty fast and don't hold grudges except in exception circumstances. 

Even with AP.  I like him most of the time.  Just some of his BS comments shit me.

On 05/10/2017 at 7:14 AM, Bored@work said:

Justin never drafted.... Belinda only ever paced....She was a smart racer!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Justin never drafted.... Belinda only ever paced....She was a smart racer!

Justin never drafted , he was ALLWAYS ahead of Belinda 

• Haha 1