Jump to content
Peter

Jacobs will win kona apparently

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Rog said:

As I said in my original post the shoulder is ok but It’s still a freeway shoulder, same as you have on the F1, M5 etc here with cars and trucks flying past you, constant flow, not exactly a place I’d choose to ride. 

Right again

i never ride on the queen K , the shoulder is great but full of glass and volcanic  rocks the cut your tyres pretty quick and the traffic is full on 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rog said:

Poor bastard.  All the prep and to end like that really sucks.

Truth is, Kona is a shit place to go for a bike ride.

You go North and it’s the QueenK with B doubles and massive SUV trucks going by you at 80mph every 2 seconds every day of the week (no exaggeration). The shoulder is ok for the most part but still I’d never choose to ride there, just not a pleasant experience imo.

If you choose to go South, it’s a hilly busy road with zero shoulder. 

You go inland and it’s the same, if not more dangerous, until you are really out of town. 

 

Not right here 

if you head south the riding is arwsome , can get a little busy if your coming back into town from 7am to 8-30 but further out u go it's amazing 

 

head east up a crazy hill the road and riding is insane , best u with get anywhere 

head north along the Hawaii belt Rd and again best riding anywhere  , but will get busy coming back in or out at peak times but still nothing like cities in OZ and 95% of the drivers and very happy , carefull  and courteous 

 

if ride over over and around Hilo , best riding u will find anywhere , but all these rides have some hills and some nice steep bits but the road surface is fantastic hot mix so unless u are a beach road rider then all is fine everywhere  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Customer said:

 

This is just shouldn't be happening race week.

Problem is 95% of everyone in Kona  at the moment is riding or running or driving or walking on alli drive  

it's freaking madness 

cyclist behaving like lunatics, walkers and runners going all directions and if Hawaiians drove like Aussies on the way to work then no body would make it to race day alive 

get out early if u have to do you TT efforts on the bars flat out pre race  and don't expect to do them through traffic , cars , runner , dogs  hitchhickers etc on alli drive  at 8am 

plain stupid 

dont ride 2 or 3 or 4 abreast down the road and hold up traffic  not giving a flying F where there is a perfectly good bike lane 

idiots

its just madness

 

 

Edited by ironpo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mate Hilo is on the other side of the island, that’s not Kona.

So you are basically saying get in your car drive out of town for 20-30mins and you’ll be sweet, and I agree with that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Queen K is the most beautiful piece of TTing stretch I have ever seen. Shoulder is a lane in its own right ... incredible that they would lay so much bitumen for a breakdown lane. And beatifully smooth. No traffic lights, well once past the airport, only 1 or 2 maybe. Not really any debris like glass about and also once past the airport hardly any trucks.

kona is a ripping little quaint town and the swim is without peer. Husky is nice but Kona is the the warmer version with more fish. 

And I'll add, Hawaiian drivers are chilled, cautious and considerate. Brilliant place to ride in my opinion.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ironpo said:

If ride over over and around Hilo , best riding u will find anywhere , but all these rides have some hills and some nice steep bits but the road surface is fantastic hot mix so unless u are a beach road rider then all is fine everywhere  

Hilo is on another planet as far as weather goes compared to Kona side. Hilo gets heavy rain nearly every day of the year and don't even mention the banjo playin' hicks driving around with rifles on the back of their trucks.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rog said:

Mate Hilo is on the other side of the island, that’s not Kona.

So you are basically saying get in your car drive out of town for 20-30mins and you’ll be sweet, and I agree with that.

This is the problem with all the experts (keyboard capatian they may be called ) when they start knocking evything kona 

there is a hell of a lot  more to the big island than Kona and it doesn't take much out the box thinking to enjoy it

do you your swim ride or run early and eliminate 90% of the problems you all are complaining about

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Charlesn said:

 

 

And I'll add, Hawaiian drivers are chilled, cautious and considerate. Brilliant place to ride in my opinion.

Totally agree with this 

46 minutes ago, Charlesn said:

. Not really any debris like glass about and also once past the airport hardly any trucks.

 

This is not really the case , trucks everywhere , but at least they are only going 80kph 

but if you are gunna ride the queen K start the ride after the airport , mayhem before that  with the road works going on even worse that ever 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, The Customer said:

Hilo is on another planet as far as weather goes compared to Kona side. Hilo gets heavy rain nearly every day of the year and don't even mention the banjo playin' hicks driving around with rifles on the back of their trucks.

Yes but at least you know they are coming with their AK47s by hearing all the banjo music lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rog said:

 

So you are basically saying get in your car drive out of town for 20-30mins and you’ll be sweet, and I agree with that.

Don’t have to go too far to get away from the madness

15 mins ride from Kona this morning 

quiet , huge shoulder , safe as and no triacathaltes as it’s a little bit hilly :-)

and its not “Kona” 

39B57E19-8BBB-42E2-9747-AFF59BBF0CEA.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Nath. said:

You need to change the date on it if you want to use it for evidence one day....says 25/09/17?

I can't Nath. It won't hold the date/time (internal battery must be dodgy, but for $25, you can't expect much).  But I reckon it'd still be good enough evidence in a bad prang.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ironpo said:

Don’t have to go too far to get away from the madness

15 mins ride from Kona this morning 

quiet , huge shoulder , safe as and no triacathaltes as it’s a little bit hilly :-)

and its not “Kona” 

39B57E19-8BBB-42E2-9747-AFF59BBF0CEA.jpeg

Where is that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2017 at 3:40 PM, Supamau said:

PJ shares his story

 

 I watched that interview on the trainer last night. Forget the ‘debate’ about whether 3hr trainer/15 minute bricks are a good work out 2 weeks out. I just cant see PJ doing anything other than a DNF. Sad, and love to be wrong but if his biggest workouts in the 4 months leading into his taper are 4hr bike rides at a HR of 115 then and his hardest efforts are an occasion 7 second burst then ... well ... It’s sad.

Edited by Andrew #1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I'm confused. I thought you were a huge PJ fan.

I think most people are fans of PJ, but we're just looking realistically at his state of mind and his training.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ironpo said:

Right again

i never ride on the queen K , the shoulder is great but full of glass and volcanic  rocks the cut your tyres pretty quick and the traffic is full on 

There’s also those speed bump thingies on the side of the road on Queen K - I accidentally rode over one of them in a moment of weakness and nearly came off.

Swimming in Hawaii is amazing though, water is so clear.

[Disclosure - I’ve only ever done the 70.3].

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be great to see Pete competitive within himself. Top 10 - yes please.

FM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Flanman said:

Would be great to see Pete competitive within himself. Top 10 - yes please.

FM

Ive got my fingers crossed ... but ... every year PJ poses some ‘reboot’ strategy that then turns to custard. I’m not persuaded that his latest reboot offers anything better. 

Edited by Andrew #1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still waiting for his spiritual leader the great AP to come out in support of Pete Jacobs

maybe even AP has no faith in him finishing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter said:

I'm still waiting for his spiritual leader the great AP to come out in support of Pete Jacobs

maybe even AP has no faith in him finishing. 

Just waiting for AP to beat PJ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope he goes OK, although I'm not overly optimistic.

He seems to be in a decent head space so if he's happy doing what he's doing then good luck to him. He's climbed a mountain none of us are likely to scale so he at least deserves respect for his past abilities.

Yes, he seems a little on the zen, hippie, eccentric side right now, but if he's at peace with himself then all power to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Peter said:

I'm still waiting for his spiritual leader the great AP to come out in support of Pete Jacobs

maybe even AP has no faith in him finishing. 

You were a $/)? 5yrs ago and your still a $&:? now

 

Give the bloke a break. Never once have I heard arrogance from Petes mouth. He has achieved more in the sport than most. As "Aussies" we should be getting behind him, not sitting behind a keyboard ragging on the bloke.

i for one wish Pete all the best. He's been there and knows what it takes. On the day who knows......

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Scott Murray said:

You were a $/)? 5yrs ago and your still a $&:? now

 

Give the bloke a break. Never once have I heard arrogance from Petes mouth. He has achieved more in the sport than most. As "Aussies" we should be getting behind him, not sitting behind a keyboard ragging on the bloke.

i for one wish Pete all the best. He's been there and knows what it takes. On the day who knows......

Haha. Gold. 

Welcome back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Peter said:

I'm still waiting for his spiritual leader the great AP to come out in support of Pete Jacobs

maybe even AP has no faith in him finishing. 

Regardless of what the keyboard captains say - I have spoken to him a couple of times over the last fortnight - he will go top ten - he'll do it on the run 

Also I agree with everything Charlesn said - I'd rather be cycling on the Queen K highway than typing on my keyboard trying to appear informed B)

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×