Peter

Jacobs will win kona apparently

8 hours ago, Charlesn said:

"Trainer worth double" though isn't it.

more resistance on a trainer than the lovely surface of the Queen K.

3 hrs on a trainer appears like an eternity for everyone apart from probably Sanders. The fact it seems a stroll in the park for PJ means his big sessions have dwarfed it. He's not revealing all his cards but indicating this is an easy hit out.

go Pete, you legend. We need all the classy Aussies we can get these days

This. Also It's a session 2+ weeks out. Only dickheads are doing 200km/30km bricks wearing a woolly jumper in the last month before the big dance

3 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

This. Also It's a session 2+ weeks out. Only dickheads are doing 200km/30km bricks wearing a woolly jumper in the last month before the big dance

Jan rode 170k today with a run off. Distance off unconfirmed 

you just hear what you want to hear. Seems like there may be a belief that this is his long session. I hear that a 3 hour trainer short runs feels easy. nothing more, nothing less. Doesn't mean that he can't or hasn't done 409km bike 48km run bricks. I imagine he would have said they feel hard. 

Edited by Mike Honcho
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, -H- said:

Best sort that out before I get there! 

Sorted , not sure there will be any left though by the time u arrive with the grandkids here 

image.jpg

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Peter said:

Jan rode 170k today with a run off. Distance off unconfirmed 

The best one can say about that is, given his awesome fitness it may not have done him any harm, but seriously, what physiological gain is there to be had from THAT session two weeks out. ... Just absurd

21 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

The best one can say about that is, given his awesome fitness it may not have done him any harm, but seriously, what physiological gain is there to be had from THAT session two weeks out. ... Just absurd

Maybe just getting familiar with the QueenK again.  

48 minutes ago, Peter said:

Maybe just getting familiar with the QueenK again.  

Cause like, he's never ridden it before ...

12 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Cause like, he's never ridden it before ...

What would you keyboard captains know? Have any of you won Kona twice?  Or have a gold medal in your pool room?  Etc.. 

I just wish Pete hasn't had that round of golf with Ian Baker Finch after he won! Something rubbed off.

I sincerely hope he has a great time there, and a great time there.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Have you ever raced an Ironman?

5 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Yeah I can't imagine it's doing much. Perhaps psychologically it helps?  Perhaps 170km at at average pace isn't too taxing on them and helps keep their mind at rest. I hate taper week, it feels like the fitness I've built up over 3 months is all lost in 7 days....

Ryf does an OD training session the day before the race, would it really make any difference? I reckon she does that to calm her nerves, get her ready mentally, which perhaps is what some of these guys are doing with their big rides. Sorting their heads out. And if Pete is just happy to be there, racing maybe he's not under the same pressure as the other peeps?

Edited by zed

13 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Have you ever raced an Ironman?

Raced being the optimal word too. Too many assumptions made that the ride is just for fitness. 

Fimiliarity with the course, confidence, tactics & execution. All things that have meant many a time the fittest athlete has not been the winner.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Ruley said:

Raced being the optimal word too. Too many assumptions made that the ride is just for fitness. 

Fimiliarity with the course, confidence, tactics & execution. All things that have meant many a time the fittest athlete has not been the winner.

Bike sponsor probably requires him to be seen and photographed too.

• Like 1

I think he will DNF and blame it on onions.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AA7 said:

I think he will DNF and blame it on onions.

Who ?

PJ or Jan

6 hours ago, Ruley said:

Exactly 

gone are the days of doing stuff all , in the last two weeks of IM prep

all modern coaches have you doing plenty and keep the body in the long (ish) mode

discalmer

ive never won kona

im real fat 

I haven't riden my bike on the road for months 

I have cake in my fridge 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, ironpo said:

Exactly 

gone are the days of doing stuff all , in the last two weeks of IM prep

all modern coaches have you doing plenty and keep the body in the long (ish) mode

discalmer

ive never won kona

im real fat 

I haven't riden my bike on the road for months 

I have cake in my fridge 

That might be all week and good - but it's just a justification for doing long stuff that isn't by - by any objective measure - going to have any physiological benefit. Also 'course familiarisation' can be done more effectively by breaking the course down into smaller segments than just riding virtually the whole bike course two weeks out.

Anyway, None of this in any way justifies people ripping into PJ for doing a 3hr ergo bike/15 minute run brick with just over 2 weeks to go. None of that 'rebuts' my observation that physiologically that session seems right on the button in terms of duration and intensity, even for 'the big boys'. Not to mention that picky criticism that 4km run at the end is light on. Well it isn't if PJs main session the next day was a 75-90 minute run at target race pace (back to back 6 minute miles). We don't know without looking at his whole program for that week, but to my mind it IS suspiciously like the kind of sessions that I know from first hand observation that world class coaches have set world class ironman athletes ~ 2 weeks out from their 'A' race - including at least one who went on to win Hawaii that year ... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I don't.

I ate it all. :)

I don't either anymore 

grandkids ate it , bad luck for H

• Sad 1

On 9/30/2017 at 4:19 PM, Andrew #1 said:

Really? What good could that possibly achieve with two weeks to go. If the big miles are not in the bank with 5 weeks to go all you are doing is risking over cooking yourself. I'd put $100 on the doyen - Mark Allen - NOT doing anything longer than that type of session with less than 3 weeks to go back when he finally worked out how to nail an ironman ...

Well it appears you are incorrect going on Dave Scotts advice

From 9 days out.  So obviously he thinks 14 days out it is of benefit.  And definitely of value 5 weeks out. 

Nine Days and Counting to Race Day

1. Keep to your schedule. Maintain the same regimen and order of your training, both in terms of days per week and disciplines per day.

2. Reduce your “long” distances. Your longest run should fall on day nine or day 8 before the race, and it should be 35 to 50 percent shorter than the last long run at the start of your taper.

For example if you entered the taper with runs at 17 miles, then this long run should now be reduced to 8.5 to 11 miles.

Your long bike should be similarly reduced, and your long swim workout reduced by 15 percent.

Then again.  What would he know.  It's not like he's had success over the Ironman distance or in Kona

Article here https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/dave-scotts-perfect-ironman-world-championship-taper/

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Well it appears you are incorrect going on Dave Scotts advice

From 9 days out.  So obviously he thinks 14 days out it is of benefit.  And definitely of value 5 weeks out. 

Then again.  What would he know.  It's not like he's had success over the Ironman distance or in Kona

Article here https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/dave-scotts-perfect-ironman-world-championship-taper/

Maybe your brain broke. I don’t read any different from the fundamentals I suggested. I was talking about PJs social media post that a 3hr bike/15 minute run brick just over 2 weeks (ie 15 to 17 day’s out) seemed right. I speculated that a typical session the next day (ie. still 2+ weeks out) May be 75 to 90 minutes at expected race pace (ie 6 minutes mile pace). That’s a long run of between 12.5 and 15 miles.

Now Dave is talking about the long run 9 days out from race day - ie. another week later than what I was talking about and a week closer to race day than when PJ posted. 

Dave says that the long run should be around 35% shorter than at the beginning of the taper. He gave an estimated range of 8.5 to 11 miles. Is it just me, or is that a seemingly neat fit with what I said? I’m thinking PJ may likely started his taper period with a 22 to 27 mile run 4.5 to 5 weeks out. The following week that would be 17 to 20 mile run. That would leave PJ punching out the 12.5 to 15 mile run I was talking about 2+ weeks out and Dave’s 8.5 to 11 mile run about a week and a half out. 

And, getting back to PJ’s social media post you can easily extrapolate using the same rule of thumb. A 3hr ergo session two and a half weeks out, probably was 4hrs plus the week before and maybe as much as 6 hours at the beginning of the taper. A week later, he’s probably doing no more that 90 minutes in the sweet spot on the ergo bike for that session. 

FFS!

Edited by Andrew #1

On 03/10/2017 at 6:08 PM, Andrew #1 said:

That might be all week and good - but it's just a justification for doing long stuff that isn't by - by any objective measure - going to have any physiological benefit. Also 'course familiarisation' can be done more effectively by breaking the course down into smaller segments than just riding virtually the whole bike course two weeks out.

Anyway, None of this in any way justifies people ripping into PJ for doing a 3hr ergo bike/15 minute run brick with just over 2 weeks to go. None of that 'rebuts' my observation that physiologically that session seems right on the button in terms of duration and intensity, even for 'the big boys'. Not to mention that picky criticism that 4km run at the end is light on. Well it isn't if PJs main session the next day was a 75-90 minute run at target race pace (back to back 6 minute miles). We don't know without looking at his whole program for that week, but to my mind it IS suspiciously like the kind of sessions that I know from first hand observation that world class coaches have set world class ironman athletes ~ 2 weeks out from their 'A' race - including at least one who went on to win Hawaii that year ... 

'Coach, with respect this is a very big workout so close to race day!' Coach (with no respect) 'It's called Ironman not Softman...'

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Niseko said:

'Coach, with respect this is a very big workout so close to race day!' Coach (with no respect) 'It's called Ironman not Softman...'

And what was the context of that comment? What was the session? How far out? What did the rest of the athlete’s program look like?

I’ve no idea. But you’ve no idea about Jan Frodeno’s 170km session either. From a physiological point of view I just don’t understand how you can say a training  session very similar to the race will have no physiological benefit because it is somewhat close to the race. 

• Like 3