Peter

Jacobs will win kona apparently

Top 12 would be good. I hope he has a good race. And I hope he hasn't set himself unrealistic goals.

2 hours ago, BJ7 said:

Sure he's probably not gonna win the thing but is keyboard bashing a guy who has won an Ironman World Championships really the level of respect he's come to deserve?  At least he's won the thing and still giving himself a crack and even if he never gets back to 2012 PJ he'll still go down as an IM World Champ which very few people can say!

I wasn't really have a dig at him regarding his tweet about his brick. I seemed surprised he's only running 4km bricks. I would have thought even mop AGers would have been doing more. But like I said I hope he has a great race. 

4 hours ago, roxii said:

Yep, true.

people who comment on PJ though are often disappointed in what “could have been” and despite PJs best efforts, intentions and hopes just hasn’t delivered. 

My 2c (which is actually worth less) is that I think he just needs a hard arse coach like a Matt Koorey. That however is totally dependant in whether  he is fit and well, and I’m sure he would argue that if he was 100% fit and well he could coach himself. 

Either way it has been as frustrating for PJ. As it has been for him s followers, probably more so really as it’s not our livelihood on the line.

whatever happens, good luck PJ. 

Spot on

2 hours ago, Peter said:

So bj7. 

What is a success for PJ?

making Hawi?

top 12?

The way PJ is going just getting his foot onto the big island 🌴 will be a positive 

12 hours ago, ironpo said:

I think the big boys will be doing a bit more than that

Really? What good could that possibly achieve with two weeks to go. If the big miles are not in the bank with 5 weeks to go all you are doing is risking over cooking yourself. I'd put $100 on the doyen - Mark Allen - NOT doing anything longer than that type of session with less than 3 weeks to go back when he finally worked out how to nail an ironman ...

Edited by Andrew #1

2 hours ago, ironpo said:

The way PJ is going just getting his foot onto the big island 🌴 will be a positive 

At IM Arizona a couple of the other pros were mocking him.

5 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

At IM Arizona a couple of the other pros were mocking him.

How many of them had won Kona? Or placed top 3? Or even top 10?

20 minutes ago, Peter said:

Id love him to top 3 and prove us all wrong. 

I don't think he 'went to the well' back in 2012 such that he was never going to come back. That said, there has been a recurrence of some physiological and/or psychological issues. If those are solved then there is absolutely zero reason why he could not simply 'snap back'. Even Dave Scott had 5 years in the wilderness after the Ironwar before he came good at 40 and placed 2nd.  

11 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Really? What good could that possibly achieve with two weeks to go. If the big miles are not in the bank with 5 weeks to go all you are doing is risking over cooking yourself. I'd put $100 on the doyen - Mark Allen - NOT doing anything longer than that type of session with less than 3 weeks to go back when he finally worked out how to nail an ironman ...

If you have followed any pros for any

legnth of time you would find they would

be running a lot further than 4 ks off the bike at 3

weeks out  

5 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

PJ - show us your best and come home with the fastest run of the day.....just like a few years back!

Is there a huge bonus for the fastest run split  of the day? 

1 hour ago, ironpo said:

weeks out  

I have noticed the big hitters are all ready on the island. Age groupers have already started arriving. 

Pj is in walloon today doing a 100km tt and meat pie combo with the Cycos.

Just hopping back in my Delorean now.  

14 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

You need to see what the pros are doing on Strava or be in Kona   

Im sure Jan and seb are doing way more. 

One things for sure 

if Pete has a great race, AP will come out claiming he helped. 

If pete has a shocker as expected, we won't here from AP until xmas. 

Like the last 4 years.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ironpo said:

weeks out  

Two and a bit weeks out, actually. He may week have brought forward the typical weekend bricks  few days to account for the travelling required to the big island in the next few days.

That suspiciously looks like a session that Mark Newton set Norman Stadler two weeks out from Kona in 2004 - you know the yer he put 22 minutes into the peloton on the Queen K (except the bike portion was nearly 4 hours - but on the road).

It really depends on what the indoor trainer session comprised and what the next day's session was.

For example (making some assumptions here) If the session went something like this:

20 minute warm up in 4minute steps from 50% FTP to 100%, followed by 5 minutes easy at 60%, then 75-80 minutes at between 89 and 96% FTP, 10-15 minutes at 40-50% then 60minutes at 90-95% FTP/15 minutes run at race target pace (3.45min/km).

Next day - up to a 2hr bike (last 30-40 minutes at target intensity - probably 90% FTP for 'the big boys') followed by 75-90 run minutes at target race pace. 

The reason this sounds like 'normal for a pro'  is just by applying the maxim that in the last 5 weeks before an IM there should be a focus on intensity (just below, at, or just above target race speed) by with an approximate one third to 40% drop off in volume week to week.  Therefore assume a 40% increase in the volume of PJ's session the week before, and another third the week before that etc. Extrapolating like THAT then you the 'starting' or biggest of that type of session would be close to 6hrs on the (with over 4 hours at that 90% FTP sweet spot) and maybe an hour run 5 week out from the big dance (with a long - approx 40km run the following day). Therefore PJ's post sounds about right to me as a typical pro 'one intensive ride/short intense run' brick session to me with 2+ weeks to go...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peter said:

Correct 

Seb and jan  (add in any other top pro) have ridden the whole course in the last week , maybe twice and will do it again in the next week 

the thing is that 180k for the top pros (male and female) is just a walk in the park and is serious drop off in distance from thier big sessions 

unfortunately PJ just hasn't been able to (or hasn't wanted too) get in any serious distance so to him a 3 hr session is his drop off in distance 

big difference Ne things like this show up when it comes to  IM racing no matter who you Are 

1 minute ago, ironpo said:

Seb and jan  (add in any other top pro) have ridden the whole course in the last week , maybe twice and will do it again in the next week 

I'm sure I saw Frodo is still in Japan on his way to Kona........

5 hours ago, Peter said:

Yeah I've got no idea what a pro should be doing. I kind of think that your race result is pre-determined in the last few months of training and there's little that will change the outcome in the 2 weeks leading up to the race. But rightly or wrongly the other pros will be running a lot more than 4km bricks. I know Rhy does an OD session the day before race day. 

1 hour ago, zed said:

Yeah I've got no idea what a pro should be doing. 

Don't worry too much. You are from Perth. 

2 hours ago, Tyno said:

yeh so

didn't u know hes riding to kona !!!!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Don't worry too much. You are from Perth. 

Cowie's the same age as me and is still a pro, so there's still hope... watch this space.

A lot of keyboard captain comments as usual.

The guy’s a world champ not some chump who follows people on Strava and thinks they know what they are doing. 

With all the physio and psychological issues Pete’s had the last few years you would’ve thought he might as well give up but he just keeps plugging away trying to find his groove again.

That’s easy to do when you’re a nobody but would be a very humbling experience for a world champion. 

Whatever happens to Pete moving forward , I know he’s not a quitter and he will work something out somehow. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Tyno said:

Nope. Left last Tuesday. 

IMG_0735.PNG

• Like 1