Peter

Jacobs will win kona apparently

15 minutes ago, trinube said:

Oops, wrong one. The right one is there now.

1 hour ago, trinube said:

Found it on FB - 

Yes spot on the mark from Lionel.  Unless you are at risk of dying or serious injury.  Those that throw in towel when cause it got hard are pretty weak. 

26 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Yes spot on the mark from Lionel.  Unless you are at risk of dying or serious injury.  Those that throw in towel when cause it got hard are pretty weak. 

At Kona, or another WC, I agree. But when they are at most other races, they are there to earn a living.

If I have to quote on a job this week that I know I'm not going to win, why would I bother doing it if I know doing so will take away from my ability to quote on a job next week that I have a good chance of getting.

Of course for up & coming pro's, or those that have been given appearance money etc, that all changes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

At Kona, or another WC, I agree. But when they are at most other races, they are there to earn a living.

Last I looked this was the world championships. 

Some pros finished with shit time. But they finished 

respect 

• Like 2

What is clear watching the race yesterday is the level of pain both mentally and physically the top pros are willing and able to endure to do what they do. And they do this session after session in training and I am in awe of them for it. I know I will never KQ and be more than a MOP athlete because I am happy to train in the comfort zone and don't push the boundaries of physical and mental endurance that the pros and top AGers do. 

To win the race in 2012 PJ had the desire to push his mind and body beyond its limits and achieve what to many will only ever be a dream. We took that journey with him because he was living our dream too and for those who have ever met him know PJ is a great guy and someone who you hope the best for.

In my opinion once he had won the race PJ lost the drive to keep going to those dark places that other athletes continued to go. Suddenly he felt the mental and physical pain during and after training that previously he had been able to ignore. He is trying to blame onions but I feel the answer is so much simpler and he just doesn't have enough desire to win a second time. If he came to terms with that he can preserve his legacy as the last five years have raised unnecessary question marks. This is why Maffetone has been his method of choice this year as he had the justification to himself to train at lower intensity. This put him in a better personal physical and mental space which was great to see but means he cannot compete at an elite level as shown yesterday.

PJ will always be a world champ but the time has come to end the mental and physical torment he is causing himself and retire from the sport at pro level

• Like 6

Pretty good summary.

I just wish he finished like Frodo did.  Clearly never going to win it, but have some respect and finish it.  

It's not like it was Busso that doesn't matter.  It's the World Championships.

If someone feels like shit and still wants to finish, fine with me. 

If someone feels like shit and decides to pull out, fine with me.

The winner doesnt win any less becuse someone behind them pulled out cos they couldnt hack it. 

I dont agree with the uproar. 

He better not have a moment of weakness and have 1 beer tonight?, otherwise it will take him to Ironman Cairns to recover...:D

Does he even enjoy training/racing? He hasn't raced since Arizona IM last year I think.  I would have thought if he still loved the sport he could have slotted in a couple of low key 70.3s for shits and giggles. Maybe time to hang up his pro boots, race as an amatuer and rediscover his love for the sport. 

3 hours ago, Peter said:

Pretty good summary.

I just wish he finished like Frodo did.  Clearly never going to win it, but have some respect and finish it.  

It's not like it was Busso that doesn't matter.  It's the World Championships.

Geez lucky the guy didn't have a cable malfunction on the bike course

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Parkside said:

Geez lucky the guy didn't have a cable malfunction on the bike course

Sorry?  So PJ had a mechanical? Good info if it is true just havent seen it anywhere else...

5 minutes ago, pieman said:

Sorry?  So PJ had a mechanical? Good info if it is true just havent seen it anywhere else...

I think that’s a cryptic reference to Macca pulling out of the 2008 Ironman at Havi 

On 10/15/2017 at 4:46 PM, Peter said:

As i said on twitter. Farking softcock and joke of ironman professionals. 

And i would say it to his face. 

Pros fight for the chance to do kona and for the last 3 years he has treated it like a joke. 

He will never qualify as a pro for kona again. 

Had to dig a little but I knew it would be worth it. Oh the hypocrisy :) 

Did PJ not return your fan mail in 2012?

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 5.17.01 PM.png

Bj7. You miss my point. 

Id love pj to win again. He is a great guy. Family awesome too. 

He is lost. 

But the weekend proved he is done. Can't even ride the last 6k to finish the bike?

and you need to review others comments. 

Im not the only one but you just comment on my text?  

Edited by Peter

1 hour ago, pieman said:

You hear a lot of pros quitting because of mechanicals, I'd love to know exactly what mechanical issues they have had. Years of BMX training, racing etc I've managed to ride some pretty mangled bikes home, you'd really have to have a major F**k up on a TT bike for it to be unrideable. 

Peter I must have gotten confused about your opinion of him when you said he was a "Farking softcock and joke of ironman professionals". 

I completely agree that unless something drastic changes he won't be qualifying for Kona again but thats a mighty odd way talk about someone you consider a great guy. 

For that Kona I stand by the comments.  Not that PJ would give a shit.  

Anyway, PJ will figure things out or will become a past Ironman winner.  It's his life.

he has won kona and it must be hard still in your prime and not be able to compete anymore. christ, i see local blokes attention seeking that suffer from not having the ability any more and they havent achieved anything like what pj did. 

there is a 75 page thread on mental health. to be brutally honest, its a sad thread.  leave him alone.

• Like 3

Things PJ has done: - 

1. Won Kona;

2. Divided opinion on Trannies

Things PJ hasn't done: -

1. Probably given a toss as to what's said here.

Seems like a nice bloke, albeit a little "lost" at the moment. May not return to the form he had, but he's still won Kona. 

Probably time to lock this down as it's getting a little bit personal. Thoughts?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Merv said:

PJ should compare notes with Jared Hayne.

And they could also invite Nick Kyrgios.

3 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Things PJ has done: - 

1. Won Kona;

2. Divided opinion on Trannies

Things PJ hasn't done: -

1. Probably given a toss as to what's said here.

Seems like a nice bloke, albeit a little "lost" at the moment. May not return to the form he had, but he's still won Kona. 

Probably time to lock this down as it's getting a little bit personal. Thoughts?

Agreed

• Like 1