Sign in to follow this  
wombattri

2017 Sunshine Coast 70.3

I've been with my coach Matty White for about a year now, and the goal that I set with him when we first spoke was to become a better runner, and a better racer at OD and 70.3. No more full IM's now, so after 10 years of triathlon the aim now is just try to place better amongst my age group.

The focus race, or at least the first real measure of progress with Matty, was going to be this year's Sunny Coast 70.3. I did the Hawaii 70.3 back in June, however there was less pressure for that one as it was part of a family holiday, I hired a bike and acknowledging upfront it was a tough course. But the big lesson learned from Hawaii was keeping heart rate under control. [I did a race report back in June if you're interested].

In terms of training it had been going really well, up until about 6 weeks ago when some things blew up at work. Not ideal, but couldn't be helped and would just have to trust the training already banked - and its better to be underdone than overdone. I got my weight down to about 72-73kg, and managed to keep it at that level leading up to the race. I also had home ground advantage having grown up on the Sunny Coast and done the Mooloolaba tri many times, so I knew the course very well.

Johan joined me for a catch up with Matty and his crew on the Saturday, and we went for a practice ride with Steve McKenna (his pro triathlete who finished 10th - really nice fella). 

Swim - 27min
I'm always pretty relaxed at the start of a race as I can swim ok, but given the lack of training (particularly swimming) I was actually a little nervous. Mine was the third wave of male 40-44 AG - jumped in, pulled away from the other guys and surprisingly found my groove quickly, and actually felt pretty good. First time I pulled on the wetty since Port Mac IM last year, but it was fine. Finished bang on 27min, which turned out to be 4th in my category.

T1 - 3:13
Agree with the other guys race reports, very cramped transition.

Bike - 2hrs 32min
So this was the first proper race on the P5. Wife bought it for me for my 40th, and I first used it for Mooloolaba tri (except I made a rookie error and didn't charge the di2 battery), so I made sure I didn't make that mistake again.

Out of transition, over the hills and onto the highway. Averaged about 38km/h for the motorway section, and then obviously slowed around the hilly Rosemount Rd part. Instructions were to keep average HR at 160bpm, and NP at 260W, so even though I felt I could go faster I held back and kept to my numbers (despite wanting a sub 2:30 time). Finished with average HR of 159bpm, NP of 267W and average speed of 35.5km/h.

T2 - 2:22

Run - 1hr 42min
Starting the run knowing that I kept the bike under control was great for the confidence. Plan was to get over the first hill, settle the HR back down to 160, and then keep it below 170 for at least for the first lap. Managed to do just that - was averaging about 4:45min/km which was on target. Second lap the HR went over 170, and had slowed the pace but not by much. Matty gave me a kick in the ass just before the final hill which did me good.

Overall time of 4hr 46min, placed 19th in category, and a PB on a harder course - so I was very pleased with that.  The most satisfying part however was the feeling of being in control for almost the entire race (probably last 2-3km things got wobbly), so I think I'm starting to understand how to do this now (finally!).

I don't know if this always rings true for everyone, but my run pace in a HIM almost always reflects my most recent standalone marathon time. I did the Brisbane marathon in August as a rough guide to pace for the 70.3, and again it was almost the same. So I'll keep using the marathon as a measure for setting pace for the 70.3.

As always, thanks to my wife and kids for continuing to put up with me and this weird sport. And to Matty the coach, who I'm learning so much from.

What's next? It's always pleasing to come away from a race when things go right (despite the adversities in the lead up). More importantly I'm getting better at understanding how to race better. I think a sub 2:30 bike and 1:40 run is becoming more possible, so will work towards that at Port Mac next year. Noosa tri is next up, which should be fun.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, wombattri said:

The most satisfying part however was the feeling of being in control for almost the entire race (probably last 2-3km things got wobbly), so I think I'm starting to understand how to do this now (finally!).

I think this is probably exactly what you'd want.

Pushing home after a well controlled race.

Top stuff.

I was in your wave. You beat me out of the water by 18 minutes :D

12 hours ago, Tyno said:

Top stuff.

Gotta love those pink caps! Thanks Tyno, hope you had an enjoyable day too.

10 hours ago, FatPom said:

Nice work mate, that's some solid numbers there. That's a universe away from me !

Cheers mate, still not a scratch compared to others on this forum!

3 hours ago, Buggeracup said:

Great race mate.

Were you happy with the P5, comfy?

Yes, very comfy. I previously had an Argon E-114, which was good but its nothing on the P5. It's just so smooth and fits like a glove. I can pretty much stay aero the whole time. Absolutely love it.

13 hours ago, Tyno said:

Top stuff.

Yeah but he had a wetsuit... that has to be it right..?

• Haha 1