goughy

Seat height, TT to Roadie?

Do you guys have a variance between your TT and Roadie seat heights?  I know there's more than often a difference in it's lateral position front to back.  But what about height itself?  I know my roadie saddle needs to go up, but just wondering how far I'll take it?

I run the same saddle on both, and have the same meaurement if centre of the bottom bracket to the same point on the saddle. 

So when you say actual height, do you mean off the horizontal, not taking into account angle or distance behind bb? 

For some reason I could have sworn I'd read before that some have their TT seat a touch higher due to where they're sitting on it (on the nose rather than centrally).  I've got a fair bit of adjusting to do to my roadie to match it up, so might go half way then nudge it bit by bit.  

Funny enough I had a look at my old results from when I did the online competitive cyclist fit calculator.  My TT fit calculations from that had my seat height exactly the same as the fitter has it, to the mm.  My old seat heights did fit in with their more relaxed French fit recommendations...... but I'll match it to the TT I think.  Thanks guys.

Unless tithe saddle is in exactly the same place in regards to the BB then the saddle high has to be different because if the saddle is further back on the roadie which is generally the case then the distance from top of saddle to bottom of crank is longer even if the saddle is the same hieght 

2 minutes ago, roxii said:

But you should measure both to where you sit on the saddle. 

But where is that ?

rear where ur bum sits or front where knackers are

16 minutes ago, ironpo said:

But where is that ?

rear where ur bum sits or front where knackers are

Where the sore, red, chaffed spot is :lol: 

• Like 1

That's something I've read.  Measure TT saddle from the front where you're perched.  On roadie saddle I measure from ctr of bb straight up the seatpost.  On TT I've measure from ctr bb straight up through the ctr of where the seat mounts, I guess as thought straight up the 'effective' seat post...... kinda.   Crank lengths are both the same.  I can also measure to pedal with crank 90* to ground, and with pedal parallel to seatpost...........   Or should I just ride the bastards and it is what it is.

Only really asking cause fitter said I am going to have to change my roadie saddle height based on where I had it.

And yes, I am over-thinking this (who'd have thought!)

I would have thought that a bit backwards... wouldn't less inbetween you and your seat mean you should go a tad higher?

14 hours ago, goughy said:

I would have thought that a bit backwards... wouldn't less inbetween you and your seat mean you should go a tad higher?

If you are further back in the saddle then u are further away from the cc of the BB so you saddle should be lower 

And once I've followed his directions for the next month and have it back on the road I'll certainly be riding it a lot! The compacts and 26 cassette my mate has on it mean I can handle a lot of the hills with it. And the other cycling group I ride with has some triathletes (most are ex now though) and don't care if I ride it with them (have once already). But they are also very fond of hills, and don't necessarily suit the TT, especially until I get stronger. Heck I can't even do one of their routes on my roadie yet.  Plus my roadie has a lot of sentimental value to me. So I'll be riding both most weeks.

3 hours ago, goughy said:

And once I've followed his directions for the next month and have it back on the road I'll certainly be riding it a lot! The compacts and 26 cassette my mate has on it mean I can handle a lot of the hills with it. And the other cycling group I ride with has some triathletes (most are ex now though) and don't care if I ride it with them (have once already). But they are also very fond of hills, and don't necessarily suit the TT, especially until I get stronger. Heck I can't even do one of their routes on my roadie yet.  Plus my roadie has a lot of sentimental value to me. So I'll be riding both most weeks.

Lol

just remember you are an Aussie tricathalete. So anything that's bigger than a speed hump is classed as a serious hill