Sign in to follow this  
zed

Buying off Facebook/gumtree - protecting yourself?

I've bought and sold a lot of bike/triathlon stuff through the net, mostly Facebook groups like Triathlon marketplace and gumtree. Recently I sold my P2 to someone from QLD for $2k, she was very nervous as I suppose there's a lot of trust involved. I've just bought some Zipp 808s from someone over East off gumtree, waiting for them to be shipped. My wife was quite shocked at how trusting  people are, including myself. Which got me thinking, if this guy wanted to rip me off and not send the wheels, there's nothing much I can do is there? I've transferred the money via bank transfer and all I know is his name and number. I'm asking because he's a little bit slow getting his shit together, sending the wheels and it seems like a too good to be true deal, and we all know how they normally work out :). I don't think I'm being ripped off, but I'm interested to know if it did happen is there anything I can do?

COD an option?

In other scenarios in the past, i have had a mate buy a boat in Mackay while he lived in Darwin, he transferred the 25k to my bank acct, i then drove down to Mackay and picked his boat up for him and payed the money.

On another forum im on a few years ago i asked if anyone on there would mind having something at their place for me until i could travel to collect it, someone contacted me and had no problem doing that for me, once it was delivered I payed the money immediately before he left the house where he had delivered it to.  I guess I was then very trusting of the people who had offered to look after it for me.  It was a tight knit small forum so i had no concerns.

An easy one is to ask for a photo of their license. That way if it all goes to crap you have a real person to chase. 

• Like 2

Zed, give us a location and someone here may be able to pick them up for you if need be

PayPal might be worth investigating. Obviously you get good buyer protection when buying from a business, but they also offer  private transactions, but not sure if they offer the same level of protection for this, if any at all.

46 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

Zed, give us a location and someone here may be able to pick them up for you if need be

Cheers mate, I'll see how I go. Hopefully it will all be OK!

I do th Facebook stalk. Look for mutual friends etc.  I purchased a power meter off a guy on Facebook.  Looked at his profile, list of friends etc.  Googled race results, LinkedIn etc 

seemed like an honest guy shifting parts he was no longer using. So I took the risk & sent the coin. 

• Like 1

Facebook / LinkedIn / Strava stalk him.

Hopefully it is not like GST where the federal government steals the money from hard working west aussies and gives us nothing in return. :whip:

I've done all the above - copy of licence / cash on delivery ( that was for a bike ) / check them out on Facebook etc

I have had a couple of people contact me about stuff Hiltz was selling.  First thing I did was check out what he was selling:wink1: decided I didn't want it & then gave him a good review :lol::lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I use those groups but don't make big purchases unless I can actually meet the person/inspect the goods.

For other purchases, I use paypal/ebay to take advantage of the protections they offer. 

On 18/09/2017 at 7:27 PM, Ironnerd said:

Facebook / LinkedIn / Strava stalk him.

Hopefully it is not like GST where the federal government steals the money from hard working west aussies and gives us nothing in return. :whip:

You get to be Western Australia instead Southern Indonesia :)