Sign in to follow this  
Ex-Hasbeen

UCI Worlds start tomorrow

Tomorrow, Sunday marks the first day of the 2017 UCI Worlds in Norway. The last time these championships were in Norway, a young American named Lance Armstrong walked away with the coveted Rainbow Jersey.

The event kicks off with the Trade Teams TT's. Both men & women are competing over the same 42.5km course. This year's course has little flat, and with a 1500m long climb, with a section at 12% gradient, about 12km from the end, will add a bit of spice to the race this year.

transparent-pixel.png

transparent-pixel.pngThis should be the last week of "cycling induced insomnia" for the year. I hope it's a great week.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Tony Martin is fuming over the course for the ITT this Wednesday. In what looks like an attempt to get the GT riders such as Froome competing, they've added a 3.4km, 9% climb to the finish of the ITT, and are allowing riders to change bikes at the foot. He has already referred to himself as the "outgoing World Champion".

Elite Mens is the only group finishing with the climb up Mt Floyen.

worlds_men_time_trial.jpg

Personally, I think an ITT should be flat to rolling, and if they want something like this, then introduce another event that is simply a Individual Hill Climb of around 10km.

48 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Tony Martin is fuming over the course for the ITT this Wednesday. In what looks like an attempt to get the GT riders such as Froome competing, they've added a 3.4km, 9% climb to the finish of the ITT, and are allowing riders to change bikes at the foot. He has already referred to himself as the "outgoing World Champion".

Personally, I think an ITT should be flat to rolling, and if they want something like this, then introduce another event that is simply a Individual Hill Climb of around 10km.

Seriously though that's not much more than going up Coottha at the end and the gradient is less. Just odd about the bike change though in the absence of a mechanical (which I guess they'd just pretend they'd had if you didn't offer it up). You'd think that would cost them 30secs inc slow down and speed up time - a fair bit to make up over 3k. 

1 hour ago, truck said:

Seriously though that's not much more than going up Coottha at the end and the gradient is less. Just odd about the bike change though in the absence of a mechanical (which I guess they'd just pretend they'd had if you didn't offer it up). You'd think that would cost them 30secs inc slow down and speed up time - a fair bit to make up over 3k. 

Apparently the team bosses are saying it will be about a 10sec changeover cost, and they'll gain up to 20sec.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

9 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yeah because Froome is completely shit at a flat TT :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, FatPom said:

Yeah because Froome is completely shit at a flat TT :rolleyes:

Yet he has never competed in the World Championships before. 

41 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yet he has never competed in the World Championships before. 

That's irrelevant.   He's good at flat TTs so you could have picked any other GC rider to pin the blame on.  I'm no fan of Froome (or Sky) but don'y have an in built bias against him (like the rest of the world it seems).

22 minutes ago, FatPom said:

That's irrelevant.   He's good at flat TTs so you could have picked any other GC rider to pin the blame on.  I'm no fan of Froome (or Sky) but don'y have an in built bias against him (like the rest of the world it seems).

I don't have any more bias against him than many others, but he hasn't ridden a World's before, and has come here as a co-favourite. It fits the bill well, and off the top of my head I can't think of any other GC rider that the media have been splashing around as a favourite, that doesn't normally ride this type of event. Note, he did get a medal in Rio, but I remember a lot of comments then about it being an ITT made for climbers too.

And how does "an attempt to get the GT riders such as Froome competing" show any bias against him? If I'd said Roglic, most people would have said "who"?

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I don't have any more bias against him than many others, but he hasn't ridden a World's before, and has come here as a co-favourite. It fits the bill well, and off the top of my head I can't think of any other GC rider that the media have been splashing around as a favourite, that doesn't normally ride this type of event. Note, he did get a medal in Rio, but I remember a lot of comments then about it being an ITT made for climbers too.

And how does "an attempt to get the GT riders such as Froome competing" show any bias against him? If I'd said Roglic, most people would have said "who"?

Because as much as I don't warm to him at all, it seems every TdF he gets a load accusations about courses being tailored to either his TTing or his climbing.  You could have just said 'GC riders' and those that follow more than one RR a yer would have know who you meant but point taken. :)

Watching the Junior TT replay.  Tom Pidcock on fire, I was only reading an interview with him on the weekend. Not bad for a CX rider.

Edited by FatPom

On 9/19/2017 at 10:15 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Apparently the team bosses are saying it will be about a 10sec changeover cost, and they'll gain up to 20sec.

I'm watching the early starters now, and very few are changing that quickly. There are also a lot not bothering with the change at all either.

Ladies race last night was a good one. Katrin Garfoot took 2nd.

My only gripe with the coverage was that my recording finished with 2.5km to go.