Sign in to follow this  
Limited

Hydration setup

I know this question has been asked a few times but I'm after what everyone is currently using.

Looking to set up my TT bike for the upcoming tri season, So far have an Olympic and a half distance tri is on the card, plus some club races.

Current thinking is a normal cage cable tied between the arms for water, with nutrition in an aero water bottle on the down tube. My question is what is the best aero bottle? I'm thinking either the torhans or elite crono cx. And does anyone know what is the difference between the Carbon and fibreglass Crono cx, I can't find the difference in weight but surely it isn't that much

Difference in weight would be negligible.

I used to use drink bottle's with straws between the aero bars like the Torpedo 400, but I found it a bit of a PITA to refill, so am switching to standard water bottle and cage between bars. 

Have a think about what you'll do with your water bottle once you have finished its contents.

----> Discard it and grab another from the aid-station. You won't get your aero bottle back. <-----

Perhaps the best approach is to have less bottle cages strapped to your bike and use bottles you can discard. Go for a BTA cage and a tube cage and rotate bottles as you need them

I spent $80 and tried the between the bars bottle with 'straw'. Persisted for a few weeks and ended up replacing it with a standard bottle.

For me, drinking while in the aero position caused burps  discomfort. As old older bloke, it seems better to sit up and drink rather than hold position on the bars. I'd usually stretch at the same time. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rough Rider said:

Have a think about what you'll do with your water bottle once you have finished its contents.

----> Discard it and grab another from the aid-station. You won't get your aero bottle back. <-----

Perhaps the best approach is to have less bottle cages strapped to your bike and use bottles you can discard. Go for a BTA cage and a tube cage and rotate bottles as you need them

This

On 15/09/2017 at 3:12 AM, Rough Rider said:

Why would he be discarding his aero bottle?

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

Why would he be discarding his aero bottle?

Yeah he mentioned that was his nutrition bottle so assume he is keeping that from go to whoa. 

And a standard bottle and cage between the bars means that can be swapped out easily at aid stations. 

I have the Xlab Torpedo bottle with straw between the aero bars. With the straw right there I find that I am regularly drinking and can stay in the aero position. I have two normal bottle mounted on the back of my seat which I swap out at aid stations. I practice refilling the aero bottle during training and don't have any problems with a small amount of spillage.

Is one bottle enough between aid stations? I guess I could always put another behind the seat but I struggle to reach that far behind 

Depends on the race. 

Ironman used to be 10k between aid stations. 

I would often grab a bottle have a big mouthful and then ditch it and travel light between the stations knowing I was only 10 k away from my next drink. 

I don't know if things have changed, as this was a few years ago. But when I TO'ed at the last GCHIM we had to check that peeps were carrying two bottles on the bike. We sent a few down to the expo to get second cages etc. 

3 hours ago, Limited said:

Is one bottle enough between aid stations? I guess I could always put another behind the seat but I struggle to reach that far behind 

For LC, particularly in hot weather one bottle is not enough.Reaching behind to grab a water bottle takes practice but do it enough in training and you will get the hang of it.

On 9/17/2017 at 12:05 PM, goughy said:

I don't know if things have changed, as this was a few years ago. But when I TO'ed at the last GCHIM we had to check that peeps were carrying two bottles on the bike. We sent a few down to the expo to get second cages etc. 

To clarify Goughy, this only happens at check in and not out on the course during the race.  You needed to have the ability to hold 2 bottles but not have them present as such when I TO'd which is getting on a few years now

On 17/09/2017 at 12:05 PM, goughy said:

But when I TO'ed at the last GCHIM we had to check that peeps were carrying two bottles on the bike. We sent a few down to the expo to get second cages etc. 

Haha. The last thing we needed that day was more water. It was torrential rain from start to finish. 

20101003_005.JPG

Yes, I fondly remember. I spent the day on the back of a motorbike with no protective clothing and an open face helmet!

2 hours ago, goughy said:

Yes, I fondly remember. I spent the day on the back of a motorbike with no protective clothing and an open face helmet!

Bloody hell

imsgine your hair after that lol

• Like 1

The do was a little shorter in those days........ and less grey!

• Like 1

The difference between the two aero versions is that the 200 is aluminium and the 500 is carbon fiber. I have the older version of the 200 on my bike.

The other two take a standard bottle.

Monkie,  I can't speak for the 500 but I have this one:

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/XLab/Torpedo-Kompact-100-Hydration-System/C3ZD

It's a little heavy but very solid and comes with a bottle.  The biggest let down on it was the cage, it's heavy and very smooth and just not very good on rough roads.  I've swapped mine for a Specialized Rib Cage (£11) and that holds bottles tight but easy to get out.  Also worth considering that I find the X-Lab cages a bight tight for some bottles.

Only other thing on the 100 is the Garmin mount.  I don't use it because I don't have a computer but it would have been in the way and awkward to get the bottle in and out.  Ditching the mount also meant I could ditch the support structure.

If the 500 was available when I bought mine, I definitely would have spent the extra.

Just to piggy-back onto this thread, I'm lookin for an aero hydration system for my new Canyon. Does anyone have any experience and comments on this product from Profile? Looks like it has a soft straw system, which I prefer, and also a small space for storage of gels, bars etc.

http://www.profile-design.com/product/hydration/fc-hydration-system/

Edited by Buggeracup

Stupid question alert.

Torpedo 400 arrived today and is installed. Understand that with the supplied bottle I drink straight from the straw. If I put a normal bottle in there am I meant to "suck the teat" or grab it out and drink?

Cheers,

Monkie

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, monkie said:

Stupid question alert.

Torpedo 400 arrived today and is installed. Understand that with the supplied bottle I drink straight from the straw. If I put a normal bottle in there am I meant to "suck the teat" or grab it out and drink?

Cheers,

Monkie

lol grab it out. 

• Like 1

I so badly wanna see you try and "suck the teat" though!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, monkie said:

Stupid question alert.

Cheers,

Monkie

You just need to be real flexible and has a -45 deg stem:lol:

serous answer, the way I do is to grab the bottle near the top and at the same time push the valve open with my thumb and forefinger, take a swig and bang it into my shoulder and put it back in.

sounds more complicated than it is.

Edited by FatPom

On 16 September 2017 at 8:17 PM, Ironnerd said:

I have the Xlab Torpedo bottle with straw between the aero bars. With the straw right there I find that I am regularly drinking and can stay in the aero position. I have two normal bottle mounted on the back of my seat which I swap out at aid stations. I practice refilling the aero bottle during training and don't have any problems with a small amount of spillage.

Been doing the same for a long time with a profile bottle in long races. If it's right there in front of you and easy to access, you will take sips regularly. Works well.

Is there any way to make a BTA cage more stable than just using zip ties, without buying one of the xlab mounts?  Mine's pretty wobbly as.