Ex-Hasbeen

Presumed Liability E-Petition

Forwarded to my cycling group who I am sure will all sign.

Discovered from my recent trip to Penticton that Canada also has a road law that puts the responsibility on the motorist for any accident involving a cyclist/pedestrian.  Boy, does it make a difference in the attitude of motorists there.  You just have to think about crossing a road anywhere and cars, trucks and buses come to a grinding halt.

Edited by Jon
  • Like 2

Wow this would bring out even more hated though! Would be one hell of a fight against it. And the abuse and comments about cyclists would get even worse, if that's possible.

Over time it would fix a lot of poor attitudes towards pedestrians and cyclists alike. Which is what we need escoecislly given what traffic etc is starting to become. 

I was in London when they started building the bike highway things. Best change to a city I've seen in a while and noticeably increased people riding to work. So much so they had to install more racks/showers where I worked. 

Not sure of the numbers, but I think close to 3 times as many people now commute by bike since 2010. They're roads and climate are pretty shitty also. 

• Like 1

In Amsterdam they have a saying - If a bike fell out of the sky and fell onto a car, it would probably still be the car's fault

6 hours ago, Jon said:

Discovered from my recent trip to Penticton that Canada also has a road law that puts the responsibility on the motorist for any accident involving a cyclist/pedestrian.  Boy, does it make a difference in the attitude of motorists there.  You just have to think about crossing a road anywhere and cars, trucks and buses come to a grinding halt.

This is the same in Europe, apart from Britain where it is starting to gain traction. The attitudinal change is amazing when there is that automatic presumption.

There are still d1ckheads out there, but it seems that there are less of them.

Im in Amsterdam at the moment and its incredible. Bikes and pedestrians have right of way. Cars, busses  trucks, trams all give way. 

Hardly any traffic control. And very civilised! 

2 hours ago, willie said:

Over time it would fix a lot of poor attitudes towards pedestrians and cyclists alike. Which is what we need escoecislly given what traffic etc is starting to become. 

I was in London when they started building the bike highway things. Best change to a city I've seen in a while and noticeably increased people riding to work. So much so they had to install more racks/showers where I worked. 

Not sure of the numbers, but I think close to 3 times as many people now commute by bike since 2010. They're roads and climate are pretty shitty also. 

London is an interesting case study as it is, quite literally, full. There is no more space and the infrastructure is creaking at the seams. The bike lanes are great and I use them, but it doesn't account for some people who use them to race, or rickshaw riders who occupy the whole lane and cause major crashes.

The other teething problem was the paint that they used to mark the lanes became like ice in the wet. When there was some oil and water on top of them, they were lethal. Of course they didn't consult cyclists for their attitudes - Transport for London were more interested in making the paint colour match the Barclays Bank logo as they were the major sponsor!

That said, anything is better than nothing!

1 minute ago, Turts said:

Im in Amsterdam at the moment and its incredible. Bikes and pedestrians have right of way. Cars, busses  trucks, trams all give way. 

Hardly any traffic control. And very civilised! 

Very easy to do when the building and infrastructure is, courtesy of the Luftwaffe and the RAF, levelled and they start again. Harder to retrofit, but you do feel safer on the pedals!

29 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Very easy to do when the building and infrastructure is, courtesy of the Luftwaffe and the RAF, levelled and they start again. Harder to retrofit, but you do feel safer on the pedals!

Amsterdam city was not levelled in the war, although it is pretty level!

• Like 1

I know Holland has good bike infrastructure but I thought that's because it was illegal to ride on the road there?

On 14/09/2017 at 10:03 AM, Mishca said:

Amsterdam city was not levelled in the war, although it is pretty level!

Sorry, should have been more clear ... was referring to cities like Berlin where they had a blank canvas to start with. Compared to London where they had the blank canvas and decided to rebuild exactly as it was!

On 15/09/2017 at 12:53 AM, FatPom said:

I know Holland has good bike infrastructure but I thought that's because it was illegal to ride on the road there?

It's not illegal. There are some parts like Oz The UK and everywhere that your not allowed to ride. They also have some compulsory bike paths next to roads and their the roads you definitely do not want to ride on.