Sign in to follow this  
dazmuzza

Sunny Coast 70.3 2017 Race report

good read Daz!  Congrats on beating your target time.  That ankle doesn't look all that nice!

• Like 1

Thanks Ronny. It's settled down today so only a minor sprain I think. With any luck it'll be good enough to ride on this weekend. Looking forward to doing something other than triathlon for a bit!

Nice report! BTW - what were you aiming to average for NP and what did you end up averaging?

• Like 1

Hey Zed. Thanks for reading.

By my rough calculations I had hoped to finished with a NP of about 220. This was based off an FTP I did back in July before I got injured, where I had an FTP of about 290. Calculations I made were based off the formulas in the book 'Training with a Power Meter'

Ended up with NP of 254.

This likely meant I went slightly too hard but possibly my FTP had risen a bit (though I doubt this) or there was an issue with my PM. It was a bit of a dark art here. I did however not feel too smashed off the bike - so I'm theorising its a bit of everything - FTP had gone up, I was well rested, and ate well and thus my power numbers were good. 

300w FTP your 250-260 wattage is about right. 220 should be your Ironman wattage way too low for a half. 

Edited by Rog

11 minutes ago, pieman said:

where was that burger from? 

The Good Bar on First Avenue, next to the athlete check-in area. Mostly American style but that burger was really good!

22 hours ago, KieranR said:

Nice work, what did you think of the Caden wheels?  Looking very closely at a set for my bike.

This was my first time racing on them and I have zero complaints. Felt light, smooth and rolled well. Think they're excellent bang for buck.

20 hours ago, k3vski said:

Great report and well done! Here's my report and coincidentally, I too ride with Caden wheels! So they must be doing something right!

http://just-tri-hard.blogspot.com.au/2017/09/sunshine-coast-703-2017.html

Excellent report. Well done! I too mistook lifeguards for buoys and many others I know complained of the same thing. 

This defines my swims usually.  Zig zagging from paddleboard to paddle board.. surely could use different colors

On 12/09/2017 at 1:56 AM, dazmuzza said:

hey all, for those who like the race report thing, I've done mine up over here on my medium page. 

https://medium.com/@dbmurray/race-report-sunshine-coast-70-3-half-ironman-2273ec9b2730

Would love to hear other reports from those who raced. 

Nice one mate - that ankle injury looked nasty. See you at Noosa!

Great report Diaz, sorry for the late response. I keep forgetting this forum!

Im a bit confused about your power and Rog's response. How can you have a NP that much higher than your expectation. Did you train with power and race on feel? I have a very limited understanding of PMs but there shouldn't be much of a surprise on race day, should there?

On 9/20/2017 at 12:26 PM, wombattri said:

That's an amazing run split, very envious. Great job, and good luck for the IM.

Thanks Wombattri! What I lack in my bike, I try to make up in my run. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

On 9/20/2017 at 10:18 PM, FatPom said:

Great report Diaz, sorry for the late response. I keep forgetting this forum!

Im a bit confused about your power and Rog's response. How can you have a NP that much higher than your expectation. Did you train with power and race on feel? I have a very limited understanding of PMs but there shouldn't be much of a surprise on race day, should there?

Sorry for my late reply!

I trained with power. I had done an FTP test in early July which I got 287-290 watts. I had calculated racing at a NP of about 75% which would had meant holding about ~220. But I kept naturally drifting up to 250. 

So, I kept an eye on the numbers but really ended up racing on feel. It's likely the training I did between July and August before sunny coast increased my FTP but I also was really well rested. I didn't retest my FTP near the race. 

In the end, I did a good time (for me) so I can't really fault what happened on the bike.