BogFrog

Balance

10 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Balance is a bloody hard thing for me.  In everything I do in life. 

I either have 20 beers or nothing.  (been sober almost 3 years now) 

Same with training.  I'm either on a program and training for IM or sitting on the couch eating donuts.  

I've seen your Strava. You aren't wrong. 

12 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I either have 20 beers or nothing.  (been sober almost 3 years now) 

What is "sober". My understanding was you didn't drink alcohol, but my mate drinks 2 - 3 beers a week, no more and refers to himself as being sober for 10 years.Which kind of makes sense, because you're not drunk on 2 beers so you're sober..

On 27/08/2017 at 6:45 PM, Hoffy86 said:

I'm currently doing some long and hard thinking about where to go from here. Do I continue to chase the KQ and have another crack next year? Or do I put the sport on ice for 5 - 10 years and live a bit more freely, do all the other things I love doing and then have another crack at KQ way down the track when/if I get the urge? This is what I need to decide.

How close are you to KQ?

1 hour ago, zed said:

What is "sober". My understanding was you didn't drink alcohol, but my mate drinks 2 - 3 beers a week, no more and refers to himself as being sober for 10 years.Which kind of makes sense, because you're not drunk on 2 beers so you're sober..

My name is bored@work & I'm an alcoholic. It's been three years since my last drink.

• Like 2

My thoughts on balance these days as a reformed work-aholic.  If you can't name 3 things that you enjoy doing (outside of work - or triathlon for that matter) than you have a problem.  I brought in 3 guidelines to get to the balance I have now

1 has to be for my creative side

1 that I involve my family in

1 that involves improves me (I take exercise as being part of this).

For me these days with a young family triathlon at present is not a viable option, which is why I pick single sport events and aim for them - either trail running or cycling events.

Looking at next year including my son in smaller triathlons with a local club so might be picking up the shorter version of the sport again

On 8/27/2017 at 7:52 PM, BogFrog said:

Does anyone else have trouble finding balance in this sport without becoming obsessed?  

EVERYONE in this sport has trouble finding balance without getting obsessed.  LOL

There is a trajectory spanning 2 - 3 years that tends to start out at Corporate Triathlon, Sprint distance, Olly Distance, Half IM, and IM-1 and IM -2 or 3.  It is about this point when family and friend start to write you off as a completely self obsessed asshole and a good time to reflect on what's important in life. :) 

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

My name is bored@work & I'm an alcoholic. It's been three years since my last drink.

Serious comment - well done on the 3 yrs. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, surfer101 said:

Serious comment - well done on the 3 yrs. 

He can't say the same thing about donuts

1 hour ago, Peter said:

He can't say the same thing about donuts

There is a term for it.  It's called "cross addiction"

• Haha 1

On 29/08/2017 at 8:36 AM, zed said:

How close are you to KQ?

Well, I blew a great opportunity at IMSA last year and missed out by a few minutes. I had by far my most complete race at Port this year and still missed out. The KQ journey can be cruel.

Considering the depth and quality of the field that always seems to rock up at Port, as well as only having 40 Kona slots allocated, it probably wasn't the most strategic race choice considering how desperate I was to KQ. I came 25th overall including pros but only 7th in my AG (30-34)!!!!!! My time probably would have been enough in previous years, but that point is moot.

If I was going to have another crack next year, it would be at Cairns purely for the 80 slots on offer.

Edited by Hoffy86
  • Like 1

When I first saw the thread I thought it was going to be about the right 'balance' of swim ride run sessions in the typical training week 

• Like 2

Too many get the "WORK TO REST' balance wrong 

There's a group of driven athletes who leave one coach because they think they know more and start writing their own programs only to never equal the results they got while being "held back" :huh:

Then there's the typical Transitions poster who in the name of WORK LIFE BALANCE, justifies doing less and less but still expecting a good outcome :huh:

Over all the years of running a predominately Ironman squad, I have found that the people attracted to Ironman are over achievers, they're people who simply fit more into a life than the people who watch TV too much :huh:

One of the girls in my squad is a family law practitioner with her own  busy practice, she tells me the divorce figures for triathletes is no higher than for the general public. Triathletes, particular Ironman triathletes don't waste time like others do. They probably don't watch "The Block" or "The Bachelor" or any of that other shit like biggest loser or survivor, they use that time balancing their lives.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AP said:

There's a group of driven athletes who leave one coach because they think they know more and start writing their own programs only to never equal the results they got while being "held back" :huh:

Then there's the typical Transitions poster who in the name of WORK LIFE BALANCE, justifies doing less and less but still expecting a good outcome :huh:

Over all the years of running a predominately Ironman squad, I have found that the people attracted to Ironman are over achievers, they're people who simply fit more into a life than the people who watch TV too much :huh:

One of the girls in my squad is a family law practitioner with her own  busy practice, she tells me the divorce figures for triathletes is no higher than for the general public. Triathletes, particular Ironman triathletes don't waste time like others do. They probably don't watch "The Block" or "The Bachelor" or any of that other shit like biggest loser or survivor, they use that time balancing their lives.  

or they are already asleep at 7.30 so they can leave again at 4am to get trained before work....

Some of us do use the work life family balance thing as an excuse, but then aren't remotely surprised when we do crap. Maybe we're rare....

When my kids were younger - I would leave early in the morning to do my training - so I was home when they woke up (my hubby was still asleep) --- now my hubby joins me and most mornings we get up between 4am and 4.30am to train.(he starts work at 7am)

We now go to bed earlier than our youngest.

I prepare most of our meals on a Sunday and freeze them for the week ahead - as sometimes we also train in the afternoons or I have school stuff on.

I have this thing called Fetch TV that records your TV shows and you can watch on any device later -- so often I'm watching the IPad in the kitchen while I'm getting lunches/meals ready -- I'm always planning ahead and have my time organised so everything gets done.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AP said:

This is a great post.

My earlier post is based on a 25yr study of hundreds of Ironman athletes - the overwhelming majority of them are leaders in their field of work - most of them are genius time managers - they make every hour count in their day

They have BALANCE sorted out B) not only are they achievers in their work - their sport - they're fully involved in their families activities - and the family id fully involved in the parents sporting lives B)

39 minutes ago, AP said:

My earlier post is based on a 25yr study of hundreds of Ironman athletes - the overwhelming majority of them are leaders in their field of work - most of them are genius time managers - they make every hour count in their day

They have BALANCE sorted out B) not only are they achievers in their work - their sport - they're fully involved in their families activities - and the family id fully involved in the parents sporting lives B)

I don't know many high achievers that are leaving the office at 4.30pm... most of them have done or are doing crazy hours. 

Edited by zed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zed said:

I don't know many high achievers that are leaving the office at 4.30pm... most of them have done or are doing crazy hours. 

Yeah, but they're Ironman Triathletes so they'll tell you that they are high achievers!! :lol:

Surely you believe them... :whistling:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

Yeah, but they're Ironman Triathletes so they'll tell you that they are high achievers!! :lol:

Surely you believe them... :whistling:

When would they have time to tell you they are high achievers? They would be too busy telling you they are Ironmen.

• Haha 1

I had a lot of hours that didn't really count in my youth.....I miss them, a lot more roses got smelled.  And I remember them fondly.....I'm trying to get back there in a small way.