Peter

Jack Bobridge charged with drug dealing

8 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Jack got busted with 146 & got jail time.  Mark Thompson got busted with 33 grams of methamphetamine, 481 MDA pills, an LSD tab, four smoking pipes and scales in his home and no jail time.

7 hours ago, pieman said:

he was just going through a bad patch...

Mark also had way better lawyers. 

16 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

wasn't thompson they guy Essendon brought in to clean up the drug culture after Hird?

No.

He obviously misheard and thought they said “can you clean up all the drugs” 

• Haha 1

On 12/07/2019 at 3:29 PM, BarryBevan said:

wasn't thompson they guy Essendon brought in to clean up the drug culture after Hird?

I don’t really follow the sport much, but from what I recall after Thompson stepped down from Geelong after their Premiership run he was at something of a loose end and Hird hired him as an assistant before the peptides scandal (which I believe predated Thompson’s arrival as an assistant at Essendon) broke. Ultimately Hird was stood down and the club turned to Thompson as an interim coach. 

But I could be wrong about all of that ... 😂 

Actually Thompson was at Essendon and up to his neck in the supplements scandal as an assistant coach. From Wikipedia:

Following months of rumours and investigations, on 13 August 2013, Thompson, along with the Essendon Football Club, senior coach James Hird, football manager Danny Corcoran and club doctor Bruce Reid, were charged by the AFL with bringing the game into disrepute in relation to the supplements program at the club in 2011 and 2012. The club was given 14 days to consider the charges and faced an AFL Commission hearing on 26 August 2013.[11][12] On 27 August 2013, Thompson was fined $30,000 for his role in the supplements saga.[13]

12 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Actually Thompson was at Essendon and up to his neck in the supplements scandal as an assistant coach. From Wikipedia:

Following months of rumours and investigations, on 13 August 2013, Thompson, along with the Essendon Football Club, senior coach James Hird, football manager Danny Corcoran and club doctor Bruce Reid, were charged by the AFL with bringing the game into disrepute in relation to the supplements program at the club in 2011 and 2012. The club was given 14 days to consider the charges and faced an AFL Commission hearing on 26 August 2013.[11][12] On 27 August 2013, Thompson was fined $30,000 for his role in the supplements saga.[13]

Bruce Reid was the only one who decided to take the AFL to court, and they backed down.

The good doc was probably the only one with any merit to take it on.

9 minutes ago, Tyno said:

But wasn't the doc also the one doing the jabs? Geez if there was anyone who was guilty u would think it was the doc? 

59 minutes ago, more said:

But wasn't the doc also the one doing the jabs? Geez if there was anyone who was guilty u would think it was the doc? 

No.

10 hours ago, Nick777 said:

No.

So who was it?

Those poor innocent football players. Was it all a big which hunt from the nasty media/

1 minute ago, Bored@work said:

So who was it?

Those poor innocent football players. Was it all a big which hunt from the nasty media/

Not sure who the doctor was, but they weren't using the club doctor. That fact alone should have triggered a few alarm bells with those "poor innocent football players", unless of course they really are as dumb as some people say.

6 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Not sure who the doctor was, but they weren't using the club doctor. That fact alone should have triggered a few alarm bells with those "poor innocent football players", unless of course they really are as dumb as some people say.

I thought it was peptide boy himself who administered the shots.

14 hours ago, Nick777 said:

Bruce Reid was the only one who decided to take the AFL to court, and they backed down.

He was the one that leaked it.

13 hours ago, Tyno said:

13 hours ago, more said:

nope. 

He was the only one to keep his job at the end of it too. 

However has cancer and no longer is there.

Didn't deserve 4 years.. my mate was glassed in the face and almost died. 110 stitches and it nicked his carotid artery. The culprit got 2 months less than Jack. And he got 4 years for dealing a drug that should have been legalised or decriminalised long ago. 

9 hours ago, Peter said:

He was the one that leaked it.

nope. 

He was the only one to keep his job at the end of it too. 

However has cancer and no longer is there.

Yeah you pretty much summed it up.

Bruce wrote an official letter to all significant parties expressing his dismay at where the club was heading. 

What a mess.

On 25/08/2017 at 10:37 AM, zed said:

Sure it's a drug, it's harmful, but the damage it causes is incomparable to alcohol and nicotine. In the USA last year there were over 100'000 alcohol related deaths, over 500'000 for nicotine, ecstasy - 55.... Plus it's not addictive unlike the other two. I'm not saying it's good, but the world would be a happier, healthier and less violent place if the first two drugs didn't exist.

Doesn't sound all that great to me...

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/news/teenage-girls-incoherent-text-messages-before-festival-death/news-story/2a0d74911307fb8b49d26cad71baedc5

14 hours ago, more said:

That's the problem with "mdma" capsules. they can have anything in them. Pull it apart, put some crap in it and sell it as MDMA. Drugs aren't great, but when it comes to health issues, deaths, social issues etc nicotene and alcohol are at a completely different level to ecstasy. Why does this make the news, but a teenager that dies from alcohol doesn't? 1 in 8 deaths of Australian teenagers is attributable to alcohol. Public perception needs to change. Drugs are bad, drinking for 12 hours and vomiting your guts up is fine and dandy.

Edited by zed
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, zed said:

That's the problem with "mdma" capsules. they can have anything in them. Pull it apart, put some crap in it and sell it as MDMA. Drugs aren't great, but when it comes to health issues, deaths, social issues etc nicotene and alcohol are at a completely different level to ecstasy. Why does this make the news, but a teenager that dies from alcohol doesn't? 1 in 8 deaths of Australian teenagers is attributable to alcohol. Public perception needs to change. Drugs are bad, drinking for 12 hours and vomiting your guts up is fine and dandy.

To be fair the signs and symptoms described in that article do sound exactly like an MDMA overdose, been there, seen that, saved most of them. 

But more than 90% of the jobs directly involving substance I've been to as ambulance crew are booze related. Whether that's people drinking themselves silly, getting tanked up and having a fight or at the even more harrowing end of the spectrum the people that horribly addicted to alcohol (in the UK at least it's far more of a problem than heroin).

Drugs are bad, unmonitored drugs of indeterminate strength are far, far worse. Legalise, quality control, tax. 

Unfortunately it will never happen. The blinkered view that these things are the scourge of society will continue to hold sway, it was years ago (2009) that the UK Government fired their most senior science advisor for making the scientifically accurate statement that the per capita risk of death from horse riding pretty much the same as for taking E. The data backed him up, what he said was totally true but it went against the political message of the government of the day.

Edit: Corrected the comparison, he didn't say horse riding was more dangerous, he said the danger was equivalent. Here's an interesting write up with some other examples of how bad we are at assessing risk: https://www.motleyhealth.com/health-news/how-dangerous-is-horse-riding

Edited by monkie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, monkie said:

Drugs are bad, unmonitored drugs of indeterminate strength are far, far worse. Legalise, quality control, tax. 

Couldn't agree more. I do think some recreational drugs will eventually be legalised, but we are still 10years+ from that happening. I don't believe nasty drugs like meth should be legalised, but then that keeps the price high which means more crime as well as questionable quality. Many healthy, happy, intelligent people will dabble in recreational drugs, I'd imagine most would steer well clear of drugs like meth though, so perhaps legalizing it wouldn't be as catastrophic as it sounds.

2 hours ago, zed said:

Absolutely agree. And the societal affects of alcohol are crazy. Alcohol is such a big problem in the NT. Huge!! But no one is concerned about it. 

Just now, emski said:

Absolutely agree. And the societal affects of alcohol are crazy. Alcohol is such a big problem in the NT. Huge!! But no one is concerned about it. 

Yeah it was when I went to school there back in the 90s. I went to school with Ben Hoffmann, the guy that shot 4 people dead recently. I suppose it's big news up there?

2 minutes ago, zed said:

Yeah it was when I went to school there back in the 90s. I went to school with Ben Hoffmann, the guy that shot 4 people dead recently. I suppose it's big news up there?

Yikes!! Yes that was huge. My sister lives in one of the suburbs he was in and heard the shots. Scary stuff! 

Yeah he was high on ice at the time. Was a bit of a nutter back in school, on the roids. A big unit. This was his best mate in school, Jason Truchet who I went to school with too. 

imagev135e6982cd4749e901b8b4793fd160e19-

Edited by zed

1 hour ago, zed said:

Couldn't agree more. I do think some recreational drugs will eventually be legalised, but we are still 10years+ from that happening. I don't believe nasty drugs like meth should be legalised, but then that keeps the price high which means more crime as well as questionable quality. Many healthy, happy, intelligent people will dabble in recreational drugs, I'd imagine most would steer well clear of drugs like meth though, so perhaps legalizing it wouldn't be as catastrophic as it sounds.

Exactly. All the front line folk I've worked alongside in the UK think that heroine being illegal is mad. They want heroine addiction seen as a medical condition (which is increasingly is in a practical sense). Nobody aged 10 decides to be a heroine addict when they grow up. I imagine it's the same with meth (not a drug we really have in the UK so not something I'm aware of). 

By keeping heroine illegal all you do is drive people to a career in petty crime to pay for the habit, they get arrested, fined (which they can't afford to pay) and the cycle repeats. If you send them to prison they just get drugs in prison and it costs a shed load. 

I don't think heroine / crack / meth etc. should be available to purchase but they should be able to be prescribed as part of approved programmes. You then cut off all the financial clout of the very nasty people that push that stuff, save a huge amount of police money fighting it an associated petty crime (as well as the organised crime that goes alongside with the same gangs).

Sensible people still won't take it because let's face it, if they wanted to at the moment they could do, I could arrive into any town in the UK (I only say there because I know the "vibe" more than Aus) and have my hands on heroine or crack within 15 minutes but I don't because I don't want to. Its legal status has nothing to do with it.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bored@work said:

They just announced they are renaming the Gawler bike path that’s named after him.

"Ecstasy Way"

On 18/07/2019 at 8:22 PM, Oompa Loompa said:

Just imagine if he did Triathlon...... lol

My club runs an OD and duathlon every year, he did the duathlon last year.

On 23/07/2019 at 11:45 AM, Peter said:

I'm sure he's hoping he never gets out of Jail...$200million worth

Imagine going to all the trouble of getting it into the country, dodging customs and bribing who knows how many people, finally getting all 273kg of it out of the container and into the Van and all the guy crashes into a parked car. 

• Like 1