Peter

Jack Bobridge charged with drug dealing

No worries 

he will only get a slap on the wrist anyways

i wonder what happened to the steroids ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

a cyclist with a drug issue, well I'll be stuffed

Classic

This is really sad. Jack was done with cycling because of his chronic arthritis, so I think his talent had already been shelved. From what I've heard, he was in agony during his final years on the bike. Maybe his partying nature left his predisposed to something like this after his athletic career, but I can't help but lump this somewhat into the massive void elite athletes feel after retiring from sports. He's definitely not the only athlete to fall into this situation, it harks back to Nathan Baggaley. But also think of guys like Grant Hackett that are still battling forward with endless affliction. 

This year's episode of Four Corners, 'After the Game' is as pertinent as ever when considering Jack's downward spiral. My sister is a 2x Olympian too, and it wasn't easy for her transitioning to normal life. Ironically, she's at the other end of the handcuffs now as a Fed, but she's hard many dark days, for sure. 

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2017/05/01/4659870.htm

• Like 8

Sad, he seemed to be doing pretty well with his gym. I met him in Busso and he's a pretty humble guy. Never once mentioned his cycling history and half the people at the party we were at just thought he was some local hobo as they droned on about their great bike splits :)  Anyway looks like he's going to be doing some time inside.. a few triathletes might be caught up in this mess too. Hopefully he'll come out of this and get his life back on track. F**ks me off that ecstasy is even illegal. The harm smoking and alcohol cause vs ecstasy.... 

Edited by zed

Pastoral care is non-existent or fails badly for many athletes, especially in cycling where riders (with some notable exceptions) are largely treated like commodities, used up like tampons and discarded.

It's not an excuse but I suspect this was a long time problem coming and issues were kicked down the road instead of being corrected along the way.

• Like 1

While there is no doubt alcohol and smoking are major public health problems (and societal for alcohol), that doesn't mean other drugs with a smaller abuse footprint should be legal/unregulated. MDMA is not exactly all sweetness and light...

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/mdma-ecstasy-abuse/what-are-effects-mdma

• Like 1

Just now, Alex Simmons said:

While there is no doubt alcohol and smoking are major public health problems (and societal for alcohol), that doesn't mean other drugs with a smaller abuse footprint should be legal/unregulated. MDMA is not exactly all sweetness and light...

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/mdma-ecstasy-abuse/what-are-effects-mdma

Sure it's a drug, it's harmful, but the damage it causes is incomparable to alcohol and nicotine. In the USA last year there were over 100'000 alcohol related deaths, over 500'000 for nicotine, ecstasy - 55.... Plus it's not addictive unlike the other two. I'm not saying it's good, but the world would be a happier, healthier and less violent place if the first two drugs didn't exist.

3 minutes ago, noknees said:

MDMA not addictive???

No. It's not physically addictive.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sme1414 said:

Such a waste of talent. 

12 hours ago, The Customer said:

This is very sad. Such talent and potential.

2 hours ago, hey_burgs said:

This is really sad. Jack was done with cycling because of his chronic arthritis, so I think his talent had already been shelved. From what I've heard, he was in agony during his final years on the bike. Maybe his partying nature left his predisposed to something like this after his athletic career, but I can't help but lump this somewhat into the massive void elite athletes feel after retiring from sports. He's definitely not the only athlete to fall into this situation, it harks back to Nathan Baggaley. But also think of guys like Grant Hackett that are still battling forward with endless affliction. 

This year's episode of Four Corners, 'After the Game' is as pertinent as ever when considering Jack's downward spiral. My sister is a 2x Olympian too, and it wasn't easy for her transitioning to normal life. Ironically, she's at the other end of the handcuffs now as a Fed, but she's hard many dark days, for sure. 

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2017/05/01/4659870.htm

Yes I don't think he wasted any of his talent, probably extracted as much of it as he could before the inevitable loss of it.

Rheumatoid arthritis is not fun at all. So this guy is not only facing the post career blues but also looking forward to a future of more pain and likely increasing disability and the reduced mobility that comes with it. That's not a future so bright you have to wear shades! I can understand how faced with those prospects you might want to live it up as much as you can while you can. Of course that is not a justification to be a drug dealer. Should have stuck with his gym and just used and partied, at least the only one he is harming is himself. Though I still think there might be an argument for MDMA (ecstasy) over alcohol and tobacco along lines of harm minimisation, that's another battleground altogether. Until then the law is what it is.

Edited by Slowman
  • Like 1

He's still riding and training not competing though.

Edited by zed

MDMA increases the release of neurotransmitters serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain. 

One can easily see why ex athletes, particularly those who may be overwhelmed by 'the end' of their career (especially if they had to retire early without fulfilling all of their potential) would want to use it.

It's addictive for addictive personalities. 

Of course, these charges seem a little more serious than being busted with a few pills at a music festival. 

Really sad, because I thought Jake to be a special to win multiple Olympic gold, world titles and maybe even Grand Tours just a few years ago, ...

What annoys me is the support network for these guys gets turned off almost the minute they retire and they stare into the abyss. They know not what it's like to compete for fun, for a few beers or for the sake of it - things that would actually be quite beneficial for them.

As an elite level athlete, he should have the respect for himself not to do these things, but a lot of these athletes have everything handed to them and expect everything to be laid on for them. I think Jack is going to get a wake-up call in the big house.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zed said:

No. It's not physically addictive.

But it is psychologically addictive! And long-term harmful.

2 hours ago, Rimmer said:

But it is psychologically addictive! And long-term harmful.

I agree with that.

12 hours ago, Rimmer said:

What annoys me is the support network for these guys gets turned off almost the minute they retire and they stare into the abyss. They know not what it's like to compete for fun, for a few beers or for the sake of it - things that would actually be quite beneficial for them.

Drapac had a program in place to prepare their riders for life after cycling.  It was part of their contract, they had to study etc so they would be ready for life after cycling.

There are so many more avenues than drugs and alcohol.  Mix with wrong people generally leads to these issues.   

I would easily give up friends if meant trying drugs or drinking.  Have disassociated myself with so called friends when they wanted me to do stuff which was illegal and dangerous like drugs. Takes way more guts to walk away then join the click. 

Football is rife with drug addicts.  

Sick of tired of seeing drug addicts and alcohol people destroying others lives.  They clog up A & E at hospitals.  

No sympathy at all for any drug users.  PEDS or recreational

• Like 1

On 8/25/2017 at 10:54 AM, noknees said:

MDMA not addictive???

Yeah, that raised an eyebrow. It's not as addictive as say cocaine but it still exhibits strong indications of addiction based on the available scientific research:

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/mdma-ecstasy-abuse/mdma-addictive

The argument that there are worse things is not a valid argument IMO. It still creates a lot of collateral damage in many ways, especially as an unregulated stimulant and psychedelic.

23 hours ago, Rimmer said:

As an elite level athlete, he should have the respect for himself not to do these things, but a lot of these athletes have everything handed to them and expect everything to be laid on for them. I think Jack is going to get a wake-up call in the big house.

This may have been true in the past but perusing many Sports Med conference programs now they all seem to have a stream for transition to retirement issues. 

Bobridge hasn't exactly been all sweetness and light and that's part of the reason for him being kicked along from team to team every year (nearly), but therein lies part of the issue. It's easier to move someone along than invest in effort to help them address their problems. Riders are mostly commodities.

4.5 years in the clink 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7215633/Australian-Olympic-cyclist-Jack-Bobridge-jailed-four-years-dealing-ecstasy.html

Champion cyclist Jack Bobridge has been jailed in Western Australia for four years and six months for drug supply offences, with the judge saying the former Olympian's dramatic fall from grace was an 'absolute tragedy'.

The Adelaide-born father-of-one and dual Olympic silver medallist maintained his innocence before a WA District Court jury found him guilty of supplying hundreds of ecstasy tablets in 2017 to former professional cyclist Alex McGregor.

Defence counsel Sam Vandongen said his client had indulged in alcohol and drugs while enjoying celebrity status in Europe and it was remarkable he had been able to train.

On 25/08/2017 at 10:37 AM, zed said:

Sure it's a drug, it's harmful, but the damage it causes is incomparable to alcohol and nicotine. In the USA last year there were over 100'000 alcohol related deaths, over 500'000 for nicotine, ecstasy - 55.... Plus it's not addictive unlike the other two. I'm not saying it's good, but the world would be a happier, healthier and less violent place if the first two drugs didn't exist.

Apple versus cactuses... How many millions of people smoke and drink in the US versus take ectasy! 

It's like saying how many people died from LSD therefore LSD is safer.. 

I hope he's let his leg hair grow out before he goes inside. Otherwise he could be very popular.

Gonna just have to jump in for clarification on ecstasy vs MDMA. MDMA is the active ingredient in Ecstasy but to equate the two misses a very important point which is the way in which they are taken. When people take pure MDMA the most common way is to "bomb" it which involves wrapping an amount of it in a rizla and swallowing it. Because strength can vary widely people can end up massively overdosing on it very easily. 

The usual way that ecstasy is taken is somebody will take either a single pill or even a half, see the effect it has and then take more according to how they feel. The chances of overdosing on ecstasy are significantly lower than when taking MDMA in a purer powder form.

In my 14 years of ambulancing and running dance music events I've dealt with 10s of people who have OD'd by bombing MDMA and only once somebody who had overdosed on pills and that was because he had swallowed 10 of them when he saw our drugs dog!

Edited by monkie

21 minutes ago, monkie said:

Gonna just have to jump in for clarification on ecstasy vs MDMA. MDMA is the active ingredient in Ecstasy but to equate the two misses a very important point which is the way in which they are taken. When people take pure MDMA the most common way is to "bomb" it which involves wrapping an amount of it in a rizla and swallowing it. Because strength can vary widely people can end up massively overdosing on it very easily. 

The usual way that ecstasy is taken is somebody will take either a single pill or even a half, see the effect it has and then take more according to how they feel. The chances of overdosing on ecstasy are significantly lower than when taking MDMA in a purer powder form.

In my 14 years of ambulancing and running dance music events I've dealt with 10s of people who have OD'd by bombing MDMA and only once somebody who had overdosed on pills and that was because he had swallowed 10 of them when he saw our drugs dog!

Fascinating!!! I always though they were the same thing. Things you learn on a tri forum 😂😂😂

Did you know this song by The Shamen is about ecstasy?

E's are good,  E's are good. 

9 hours ago, Chuckie M said:

Tell him to transfer to my way. I will look after him😋

You're at Stuart Creek? 

23 minutes ago, A2K said:

I had no idea. But I also had no idea what Seether by Varulca Salt was about & that’s one of my fav songs 

On 06/07/2019 at 3:35 PM, trickle said:

You're at Stuart Creek? 

yes .I am but still same fun😋

On 06/07/2019 at 6:18 AM, A2K said:

Didn't the whole world and their dog and their dog's pet goldfish know that? :blink:

• Haha 1

On 06/07/2019 at 12:37 PM, Lost in transition said:

Fascinating!!! I always though they were the same thing. Things you learn on a tri forum 😂😂😂

God knows what's in them. I doubt there's much(any) MDMA in the majority of ecstacy tablets now. And with "MDMA" powder, well that can be cut with who knows what and as MDMA is hard to get hold of, little motivation for dealers to actually source MDMA. 

Jack got busted with 146 & got jail time.  Mark Thompson got busted with 33 grams of methamphetamine, 481 MDA pills, an LSD tab, four smoking pipes and scales in his home and no jail time.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Jack got busted with 146 & got jail time.  Mark Thompson got busted with 33 grams of methamphetamine, 481 MDA pills, an LSD tab, four smoking pipes and scales in his home and no jail time.

he was just going through a bad patch...

34 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

As much as it smacks of an AFL celebrity getting off lightly, Bobridge got caught selling them. Thompson's room-mate pleaded guilty to trafficking, and there was no evidence that Mark was anything more than a user.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

As much as it smacks of an AFL celebrity getting off lightly, Bobridge got caught selling them. Thompson's room-mate pleaded guilty to trafficking, and there was no evidence that Mark was anything more than a user.

Thanks. I had no idea 

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

wasn't thompson they guy Essendon brought in to clean up the drug culture after Hird?

12 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

wasn't thompson they guy Essendon brought in to clean up the drug culture after Hird?

Bingo