Sign in to follow this  
Bored@work

Uber v Cabbies

Bored@work    1,438

Cabbies are screaming blue murder about Uber now being allowed at Adelaide Airport.  

WTF do cabbies think they have a right to the airport.  Sure they paid $300k for number plates.  Guess what it was a bad investment.  It's called risk v reward.  

I much prefer Uber over cabs.  I only use cabs for work (need an invoice) & hate it every time.  

Merv    119

The value of a taxi licence as a investment has depreciated so much since the introduction of uber, many of them are now worthless. I consider the whole industry as creditable as tow truck drivers.

• Like 1

Bored@work    1,438

I like the ease of use with Uber & the fact you rate the driver immediately after the ride has ended. 

I still haven't had a bad uber experience. 

Wronggenes    129
33 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I much prefer Uber over cabs.  I only use cabs for work (need an invoice) & hate it every time.  

You get an invoice emailed to you with Uber.

Prince    255

we have had uber at brissy airport for a while.   I save at least $15 to $20 each time.   I am sure uber will put up their prices one day, and thus open the door to another competitor,   I love capitalism.   

The taxi game is fooked - had a monopoly and acted like it with too much shit service. Half of em acted like Gods in Sydney, not a service provider.  Melb cabbies seemed to be better though.  Still remember a ride from Syd airport to city with this scruffy-arsed Fijian cabbie who drove like a tool, and every 5 mins blew his nose on a rag wrapped around his neck.  Real sorry to see the likes ofhim go.  My girls only get Ubers in Sydney these days and rate the experience very highly, and much cheaper.

Ex-Hasbeen    3,792

I've always used cabs for my trip to the airport. I figure it would be about $20 cheaper with Uber, but at this point I haven't had a bad experience. About 4 years ago I lucked on a good kiwi owner driver and ever since then have used him. Always on time at my place at 5is in the morning, never late, and always there when I land on the way home.

If he calls it quits I suppose I may try Uber, but for now, I'll take the comfort and confidence he'll be there when I want him.

FatPom    2,216

Story over here about Uber drivers getting together to 'game' the system by logging off at the same time to push demand/price up.

Peter    1,561
10 hours ago, Rocket Salad said:

Cabs have failed me many times over the years. They can eat shit. 

Agree. Uber is heaps cheaper too 

cab to airport. $70

uber $42. 

Cabs always stink. 

Drivers spend most of the ride on the phone to mates. 

Fark cabs. 

monkie    141

I don't like the way Uber operate as a company all the time but they did the thing that makes a successful business. They took a painful experience (smelly cabs, dangerous drivers, not knowing when it will arrive) and made it better so people use them. I remember when we were first exploring expanding the business to Aus they didn't have Uber in Sydney and it was a NIGHTMARE. We were based in Mosman and you would phone and they would say "next available cab" and you would then wait for up to two hours for somebody to maybe turn up. The world is now different. 

The best thing for me is that I get sent to Singapore, Hong Kong, NZ, Bangalore and London by work. Uber means I can use the same app and it just works!

Bored@work    1,438
1 hour ago, monkie said:

The best thing for me is that I get sent to Singapore, Hong Kong, NZ, Bangalore and London by work. Uber means I can use the same app and it just works!

We love uber when we travel.  Especially in Vegas, the Airport is close the strip & not worth getting a hire car.  Most of the ubers had cold water.  It was actually cheaper to catch an uber & have a free water then buying a waters & walking.  (lazy I know but it was post Ironman & stinking hot) 

Cottoneyes    746

For the actual cabbies, no problems with what happens to them, serves them right for rejecting short cab fares etc.  Their jobs are going sooner or later and they needed to be upskilling for this along time ago.

For the owners who forked out the massive licences to the governments, time for the govts to either pay back the balance of the licence or crack down on uber.  Govts can't have it both ways and if they were stupid enough to spend the money as soon as they got it, they can figure out how to get it back in other ways, like surcharges on uber

Uber is only the thin edge for govt revenue, once self driving cars come in state governments will be forgoing the revenue from speeding fines and councils for parking fines.

Yet to take an uber, has been around 3 years since I last used a cab.  Public transport or motorbike usually beats both

zed    751
23 hours ago, Rocket Salad said:

Cabs have failed me many times over the years. They can eat shit. 

This.

Swan Taxis had a monopoly in Perth for years and the service was 3rd world. Abysmal. And as a result, Perth public has very little sympathy for Swan taxis. 

• Like 2

goughy    1,993

I reckon I've only been in a cab once in the last decade. Needed to get from one place in town to home, then straight back. I remember it costing me over $50. Just did an uber estimate, one way only, and got $12 to $16. So say $32 at the worst.... That's a big difference.

FatPom    2,216

I've never used Uber as I hardly need a cab these days. I do have a regular driver in town when I do need one but haven't had the need for ages.  I used to hate getting cabs in Sydney, lazy bastards never help with bags. I've found other cities in Oz better.

Black cabs in London get a bad rap but I've mostly had good experiences, although the cycle hating Alison Lee Co can go f**k themselves.

Edited by FatPom

Tyno    1,329
On 8/13/2017 at 0:50 PM, Bored@work said:

I only use cabs for work (need an invoice) & hate it every time. 

One of the other sections at my work has a company Uber account.

All the team have it linked to their Uber app on the work phones.

Much better/easier to manage than the old cab charge system.

Rimmer    322
19 hours ago, FatPom said:

Story over here about Uber drivers getting together to 'game' the system by logging off at the same time to push demand/price up.

That's not the half of it - 148 cases in London of sexual assaults by Uber drivers in the last 12 months. Many of them live in their cabs and can be seen pi$$ing and $hitting in the streets around airports and train stations as they make only 8-10% of the fare value, so need to keep the cars going at all times. Many of them have been in the country only 10 minutes and drive like idiots and don't know the way to get to major landmarks. The cars (mainly Toyota Pruises) are in shocking condition and only insured to prove validity for the license to operate as cabs.

I hate Uber in London.

Then you compare it to the Black Cab drivers who spend - on average - 3 1/2 years to pass the knowledge and it's a no brainer. Okay, they are more expensive, but you get what you pay for.. 

Good thing Uber's license to operate is up for renewal.

skel    224

Use taxis through work.  Arrived in BNE on Monday, three of us, two locations (within half block of each other)......driver had absolutely no idea where Albert street, or any other street was in the CBD.   Not real good.....

monkie    141
36 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Then you compare it to the Black Cab drivers who spend - on average - 3 1/2 years to pass the knowledge and it's a no brainer. Okay, they are more expensive, but you get what you pay for.. 

Good thing Uber's license to operate is up for renewal.

But the comparison is not Uber vs Black Cab it's Uber vs Minicab.