Sign in to follow this  
Brad#88

ALTITUDE TRAINING ADVICE

Brad#88    0

I am thinking of doing altitude training on my bike in a altitude room twice a week for 3 weeks leading up to Sunshine Coast 70.3.  They would be recovery type sessions, one on Monday after doing my long brick session on Saturday and long run on Sunday. The other session would be on Friday. This would usually be my rest day. 

Any thoughts as to weather this would have any benefit being only 3 weeks?

Edited by Brad#88

AA7    989

I'm no expert, but I don't think you will gain much in 3 weeks. Especially as you say they are only recovery sessions.

• Like 2

ironpo    2,762
24 minutes ago, AA7 said:

I'm no expert, but I don't think you will gain much in 3 weeks. Especially as you say they are only recovery sessions.

Agree

• Like 1

Aidan    145

There is negligible benefit from 1-2 hours of hypoxia (low oxygen) exposure 2/week.

Best options for altitude training to get improvement:

1. Go live somewhere high (1800m +) for 2-5 weeks.  Ideally you go down to a lower altitude to do the very hard sessions (live high train low)

2. Altitude tent - ideally it's 18+ hrs/day which isn't really practical but there is some benefit from 8-10 hours/day.

3. Do hypoxic 'intervals' (not while exercising) with low oxygen concentrations (you need a machine of some sort to change the oxygen percentage). John Hellemans has published on this, it's quite interesting

4 (a very distant 4th). Doing 1-2 hrs in a mildly hypoxic environment as you've suggested. Some of the research actually suggests it decreases performance! As mentioned above there are probably better uses of your time/$

• Like 1

Alex Simmons    518
4 hours ago, Brad#88 said:

I am thinking of doing altitude training on my bike in a altitude room twice a week for 3 weeks leading up to Sunshine Coast 70.3.  They would be recovery type sessions, one on Monday after doing my long brick session on Saturday and long run on Sunday. The other session would be on Friday. This would usually be my rest day. 

Any thoughts as to weather this would have any benefit being only 3 weeks?

The benefit is to the 3 week cash flow of the altitude room operator.

Use the money for something worthwhile, like a surprise for your significant other.

• Like 5

lawman    259

With what those places charge you could have a 6 week holiday at altitude in the European Alps!  That might actually work.  Save your money.