roxii

Quadruple channel crossing

The last update shows a subtle change in direction to a more easterly direction: straight at St Margaret’s Bay. I suspect high tide and nighttime means that the pilot won’t risk landing her under the cliffs 

This from her FB page.

Greg Jones From the Marathon Swimmers Federation FB page 34 min ago. “Sarah Thomas' crew is projecting a finish at St Margaret's Bay, northeast of Dover - approximately 7.5 km from her current location. She will get a good tide-ride and have quick access to medical services if necessary.

• Like 2

Just now, nealo said:

What's another 7.5km :o

Looks closer on the tracker and by reference to google maps, but hey I’m guessing lol 

7 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Looks closer on the tracker and by reference to google maps, but hey I’m guessing lol 

From the break wall to dover beach is about 1.5km

When I was over there, I thought about swimming it and then decided to just swim up and down the beach.  It's a bloody long way out to it.

I looked about 15mins ago, it said 5.3km to go. Right now it says 5.5km to go. Someone tell her she's going the wrong way!

Tracker has been fairly stationary for a while now (30 minutes). It'd be horrible for something to be wrong now.

Latest marker shows the boat heading back into the harbour.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Imagine trying to keep your shit together when you have been awake and swimming this long, you are this close to home and then this crap starts to happen!!

1 minute ago, Peter said:

That suggests they have pulled her out.

Yep. But if the tide changed they could have decided to make a run for the beach on the immediate southern end of the breakwater 

The boat is travelling very slow. You'd think if they had to pull her out they'd be rushing in. I think she's still going, just with a smaller boat.

This was 20 minutes ago.

Update from Outdoor Swimmer at 05:30 UK time: “Currents are pushing @Sarahswims04 toward Shakespeare Beach. Hoping to have landfall within 30-60 minutes.”

That is just south of the harbour.

Looking good.

image.thumb.png.1eff5ca53a51272e564698d557a00289.png

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

The boat is travelling very slow. You'd think if they had to pull her out they'd be rushing in. I think she's still going, just with a smaller boat.

agree.  Still has to be going

• Like 1

Obviously the pilot realised change of tide meant it was time to break left. Luckily she wasn’t too far north to be stuck in no mans land.

17 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

Looks like a nice morning for it, watching the sunrise. nice and flat water, except that I think that camera is inside the breakwall.

2 minutes ago, Cape_Horn said:

Looks like a nice morning for it, watching the sunrise. nice and flat water, except that I think that camera is inside the breakwall.

Yeh I think if that was her landing spot, there may be a few people about.

I think the boat will stop where that last dot is now. 

Come on we need a live instagram or youtube feed from the beach

1 minute ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Absolutely incredible.

Yep. Sitting on pebbles pretending to be a beach is quite incredible!

• Haha 1

She has to be the greatest long distance swimmer ever now.

That was amazing to watch. 

Sarah Thomas, Legend.

29 minutes ago, Cape_Horn said:

Faceache shows her sitting on the pebbles that the UK people call a beach. 

We have sandy beaches as well :lol:

1 hour ago, Cat Lady said:

Marathon Swimmers Federation FB page has a good video of her finishing.

Thanks for the link. ;) 

Wow... Just Wow!

Apparently she carried a small 'pebble' from her home lake the entire journey to remind her of home.

She also backed herself to succeed... “This swim is dedicated to all the Survivors out there,” she added on Facebook. “This is for those of us who have prayed for our lives, who have wondered with despair about what comes next, and have battled through pain and fear to overcome. This is for those of you just starting your cancer journey and those of you who are thriving with cancer kicked firmly into the past, and for everyone in between. This is for our family and friends who held us in their arms and provided the strength and support we needed in the hardest times. This is for those who struggled alongside us, feeling our pain as if it was their own. I’m holding you all in my heart and swimming for our health and futures. We are stronger together, each and every one of us.”

That's impressive!!

• Like 4

Catching up on this now. Wow, just wow!!! That is absolutely incredible. Tearing up reading her message. 

• Like 1