roxii

Quadruple channel crossing

They nailed the French side perfectly both times. 

Boat captain is impressive. 

Im backing her in. 

• Like 1

Just now, Peter said:

They nailed the French side perfectly both times. 

Boat captain is impressive. 

Im backing her in. 

From what I understand of Channel swimming, nailing the French side is essential. Otherwise you end up swept out into the Bay of Biscay. I’m not sure how the tides work close to shore on the English side, but she seems to have made it across already on a direct longitudinal axis. So surely once the tide runs again that should take her straight home? 

1 minute ago, Andrew #1 said:

From what I understand of Channel swimming, nailing the French side is essential. Otherwise you end up swept out into the Bay of Biscay. I’m not sure how the tides work close to shore on the English side, but she seems to have made it across already on a direct longitudinal axis. So surely once the tide runs again that should take her straight home? 

A few of the folk I know have missed the cape. It adds a lot of time to the attempt, but still quite doable. If you were doing a multiple crossing it would pretty much ruin it. 

By the last two spot signals, it appears the tide may be beginning to turn. Her track is starting to veer toward the English coast.

Excuse my ignorance, but with this sort of thing, aside from trying to set pace records, is there an "optimal" pace to achieve to make the most of the tides?

I mean would it be beneficial to slow down at times order to get the best of the prevailing tides?  

15 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Otherwise you end up swept out into the Bay of Biscay. 

Obviously not the Bay - but swept into the open part of the channel with no convenient landfall north of Dieppe. 

Just now, roxii said:

Excuse my ignorance, but with this sort of thing, aside from trying to set pace records, is there an "optimal" pace to achieve to make the most of the tides?

I mean would it be beneficial to slow down at times order to get the best of the prevailing tides?  

I reckon so - I reckon they have been aiming at around 11:50 - 12 hour crossings for that reason. However, she seemed to have slipped by about 90 minutes on her pace on the third crossing, which has had a magnifying effect re: the tide, on her last crossing. 

8 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

By the last two spot signals, it appears the tide may be beginning to turn. Her track is starting to veer toward the English coast.

The Elapsed time is now 47’05”, so using ‘the rule of 12’ (the tide turns as a rule of thumb every 12 hours - actually its about every 11:50) then at the moment the tide would probably be close to either the ebb or slack tide - which would explain why the pilot has turned the boat more westerly. I wonder what direction he’ll take her on final approach, and what part of the English coast they’’ll  aim to make landfall.

5 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

The Elapsed time is now 47’05”, so using ‘the rule of 12’ (the tide turns as a rule of thumb every 12 hours - actually its about every 11:50) then at the moment the tide would probably be close to either the ebb or slack tide - which would explain why the pilot has turned the boat more westerly. I wonder what direction he’ll take her on final approach, and what part of the English coast they’’ll  aim to make landfall.

Pilot seems to be aiming straight for Folkestone, but she effectively due south of Dover, so with the turn of the tide, I wonder whether she’ll end up going straight at Dover Harbour, and landing at the beach just to the south - where she started..

Edited by Andrew #1

12 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Pilot seems to be aiming straight for Folkestone, but she effectively due south of Dover, so with the turn of the tide, I wonder whether she’ll end up going straight at Dover Harbour, and landing at the beach just to the south - where she started..

Just because she's currently heading " straight for Folkestone", it doesn't mean that's what their aiming for.

You're right, it's hard to know what the boat captain is planning exactly. Folkestone, Dover or any suitable landfall.

Regardless, the last four dots are looking encouraging.

Edited by Paul Every

1 minute ago, Paul Every said:

Just because she's currently heading " straight for Folkestone", it doesn't mean that's what their aiming for.

You're right, it's hard to know what the boat captain is planning exactly. Folkestone, Dover or any suitable landfall.

That's right. When Susie did the double England, France, England, we landed in Devon 

2 minutes ago, Coach@triathlon said:

That's right. When Susie did the double England, France, England, we landed in Devon 

Dot watching is exciting enough. I can't imagine the emotional extremes of being an integral part of such a swim.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

A few of the folk I know have missed the cape. It adds a lot of time to the attempt, but still quite doable. If you were doing a multiple crossing it would pretty much ruin it. 

Mindovermatter from here missed it by about 300 mtrs from memory and swam an extra few hours. 

Dont quote me on that but something like that happened. 

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

Mindovermatter from here missed it by about 300 mtrs from memory and swam an extra few hours. 

Ive heard horror stories of people missing it by less than 800M and being fished out of the water several hours later - and many kilometres away from landfall.

Edited by Andrew #1

Tracker has just noted another slight turn in direction - now headed directly for that beach where she started on the Southern side of Samphire Hoe National Park, just below Dover Harbour

By the looks of the track she'll end up north of there unless this tide is a easier one, or she is still in the water when it turns again. She's slowing a bit, so the tide will impact her more.

A hell of a swim though. She's the fifth person to do a triple, and only the first to turn & start the fourth. 

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

12 minutes ago, Peter said:

When a friend of mine swam Cook Strait, he had perfect conditions. Then he hit a tide along the shore. The final 100 metres took him 37 minutes. He had a paddler with him by that stage who suddenly started yelling "Grab that rock! Grab that rock!"

He reckons if he missed that moment, he would have been swept out into the Pacific.

5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

By the looks of the track she'll end up north of there unless this tide is a easier one, or she is still in the water when it turns again. She's slowing a bit, so the tide will impact her more.

A hell of a swim though. She's the fifth person to do a triple, and only the first to turn & start the fourth. 

The tide wont turn again for another 9 hours. It will in fact increase in strength over the next 3 hours. This should push her towards what I suspect is the pilot’s target zone. She’s still averaging 4kmh - and with the assistance of the tide should at least maintain that. While tracker map doesn’t display distances, I’m guessing she only has about 8km to swim: so approximately two hours with an increasingly strong tide assisting her. She’s well inside the eastern bulge of the English coast landfall.

The tide turns every 6 hours, or there-abouts.

The 4km average is not straight-line. It takes the sweep into account as well. Her straight line speed is a bit under 3. The tide will turn about when she gets to the coast, which will hopefully make the approach to the beach easier.

"Never ask how far you have left to swim. The answer may be 4 km. The next time you ask, the answer may be 6. You just keep swimming. Until you get there. Or until they pull you out of the water."

• Like 1

Anyone know what is the straight line distance versus the average actual distance swum? 

4 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

The tide turns every 6 hours, or there-abouts.

The 4km average is not straight-line. It takes the sweep into account as well. Her straight line speed is a bit under 3. The tide will turn about when she gets to the coast, which will hopefully make the approach to the beach easier.

This. I’m an idiot. Need coffee to brain. Still. I think that means she still has about 4 hours before the tide turns again. And the next hour or so the tide will be at its strongest at her back

17 minutes ago, roxii said:

Anyone know what is the straight line distance versus the average actual distance swum? 

Her tracker total now says 200km. Channel is about 33km at the narrowest point.

5 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Her tracker total now says 200km. Channel is about 33km at the narrowest point.

Wow, that's a LOT extra. 

46 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

While tracker map doesn’t display distances, I’m guessing she only has about 8km to swim.

For a sense of scale, Folkestone to Dover as the crow flies is 11.13 km.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coach@triathlon said:

Devon? Isn't that the southern tip, 300km from Dover?

1 hour ago, Paul Every said:

Dot watching is exciting enough. I can't imagine the emotional extremes of being an integral part of such a swim.

only 4 experienced pilots can take you across. Roughly 20k a day they charge. fishing vessels covered in nets with rotten fish and the stench of diesel. I was dry wretching before we left Dover harbour. Spewed the whole time. Not pleasant but epic to be immersed in emotionally. Particularly when it gets real tough.

Susie got 800 metres off the coast when the tide turned and we lost 2 hours. Tide was running at 2.4 knots and she was swimming at 2.4 knots. Simple maths. She still broke the record.

The hypothermia became a real problem in the end. Because all the blood had pooled to her vital organs to keep her alive her limbs and extremities suffered. Her left leg cramped and ended up becoming gangrenous. She still cant walk properly to this day.

Edited by Coach@triathlon
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Limited said:

Does she have to touch the land on each side or just get to withing a certain distance then turn around?

Touch.  I think the rule is she can have 7 minutes stopped.

But still can't touch anyone.

Happy to be corrected

wow. So she will be in the water for over 50 hours with only a total of 21 mins break. I couldn't even stay awake for that long doing nothing. Let alone swimming non stop

The tide seems to be pushing her NNE now - nearly parallel to the coast. I’m guessing that this is about the time the tide is running at its strongest. I’m also guessing that once the strength of the tide starts to abate the pilot will take a hard left for a dash to landfall before the ride totally turns again.

31 minutes ago, Peter said:

Touch.  I think the rule is she can have 7 minutes stopped.

But still can't touch anyone.

Happy to be corrected

a handler can re-grease at each landfall. Susie used sheep's fat and landoline.

• Like 1

Just now, Coach@triathlon said:

I thought lanoline was sheep’s fat and grease-vasoline?

1 minute ago, Andrew #1 said:

I thought lanoline was sheep’s fat and grease-vasoline?

its a wool derivative but the added concentrated sheep's fat makes it stay on the skin for longer. best mix we could come up with

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Coach@triathlon said:

What a glamorous job/sport :D

This is so epic.

So if they can get her to anywhere south of Dover, once she stands up they can get her back on the boat and straight to shore where appropriate?

13 minutes ago, nealo said:

Is Dover around to Deal all cliff face?

There seems to be a lovely sandbar & beach in between that she is heading right at now. I’m still expecting a hard left as soon as the tide begins to ebb

edit to update - she’s swimming right past the mouth to Port Dover - seems to be about 1km offshore. Still aiming for that sandbank and beach to the north (satellite image shows a public car park there, so I’d say quite accessible).

Edited by Andrew #1

3 minutes ago, nealo said:

Between Langdon Bay and CrabBay?

Dunno. Let me check. The area I was talking about starts right at the end of the built up residential zone north of the port - there are a series of groins extending out from the beach (a bit like Sliver beach at Kurnell) ending in a shallow sandy bay with a prominent sand bar from a bit of a point before the land shifts due north towards Deal. She seems to be about a mile away with a still following tide.

St Margaret’s Bay according to google. Maybe 2.5km away from Sarah’s tracker

Edited by Andrew #1

Oh I don't think she'll go that far.

I think she'll end up at the base of the White cliffs.

Someone get a nasa satellite overhead

or live fb or insta.