Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Movie Icarus 9/10

It was OK.

TBH I was more interested in the first part where the weekend warrior (cyclist) was on a doping program designed by the Russian guy and how that went, than when it moved onto the Russian Olympics doping scandal....though the way the KGB were involved was interesting.

I had a look on my Netflix and couldn't find it - am I doing something wrong?  On a positive note,  I did find the Pantani documentary - not a complete waste of time!! 

I started watching it last night (on Netflix) and the first 30 minutes were good, then it started to become hard work to watch, so I called it for the night. May watch some more tonight.

7 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I watched an hour of it.  Then was over it.

You're not making me want to go back.

SPOILER ALERT

I found it fascinating. It was originally about an amateur wanting to test out the effects of testosterone on performance and it ended up with a guy in the witness protection program because there was a chance the KGB wanted to assassinate him! Plus the Russians getting kicked out of the Olympics and the revelation that doping was state sponsored. 

Edited by zed

I watched it the other night and really enjoyed. Agree with above as wanted to see the doping angle, but still found the intrigue of the govt sponsored doping program very interesting...and the IOC decision disgusting (all over again)...men in blazers...grrr

On 10/08/2017 at 6:32 PM, Bored@work said:

After an hr it got. Bit boring but the last 40 mins is great so worth hanging on through the middle boring bit 

You need to change the title "Oscar winning documentary Icarus 9/10"

ALSO SPOILER:

I found it compelling. Watching the director stumble on the king pin of a massive state supported doping program midway through was incredible. Catlin knew all along by recommending the Russian initially, which makes me suspicious about similar operations in the US

On 10/08/2017 at 6:32 PM, Bored@work said:

Watch the rest 

He only had an hour of spare time, he was bored at work...

Interesting flick and a real eye opener in so many ways - funny how Bryan Fogel started a movie about himself but through a strange twist of fate turned it into much, much more -  ultimately netting him the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature. Very timely too in the wake of the attempted murder of Sergei Skripal in Salisbury as you would think Dr. Grigory Rodchenkov would be high on Putin's hit list.

Listen to the interview that Lance Armstrong does with Brian.  It's an excellent 2 part podcast.

more is told.  And Lance goes into his drug taking.  First time I've heard that from him in all of his podcasts.  ( I haven't listened to all of them but still, interesting)

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Listen to the interview that Lance Armstrong does with Brian.  It's an excellent 2 part podcast.

more is told.  And Lance goes into his drug taking.  First time I've heard that from him in all of his podcasts.  ( I haven't listened to all of them but still, interesting)

Waiiittt? Lance Armstrong took drugs?? 

Did it all blow over? 

50 minutes ago, pieman said:

Waiiittt? Lance Armstrong took drugs?? 

Did it all blow over? 

8 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

Spoiler alert please Pieman

In 500 tests he never tested positive.

On 20/03/2018 at 3:33 PM, Peter said:

In 500 tests he never tested positive.

He actually says that in the interview with Fogel as well. I listened to the podcast yesterday. Will be watching the doco tomorrow.