Niseko

Meat and Water Diet Study

I know how it feels! 

Had a typical big breakfast plate two days ago from my local cafe and ate the hash brown and mini salad. 

Today asked for special and they ditched the superfluous and toxic stuff and gave me an extra sausage and three extra rashers of bacon. Score!

8 hours ago, Niseko said:

Today asked for special and they ditched the superfluous and toxic stuff and gave me an extra sausage and three extra rashers of bacon. Score!

At the cafe downstairs from work they do B&E rolls, but don't do plate meals. I've now got one of the girls doing a special for me of a B&E roll, without the roll & add on an extra couple of rashers and an extra egg. It just has to be a modified B&E roll, cause the boss won't let them sell plain B&E.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How does my roast beef taco rate, Niseko?  My go to work snack is a slice of roast beef curled around a handful of grated tasty cheese, repeat 5 times.  Gormett!!!   

This is really fascinating - Can someone explain, in simple terms, why on one hand we need carbohydrates yet it appears we don't need them all?  So on a meat only diet then 100% of our glycogen stores come from - proteins and fats?  What is the role of insulin in a a carbo/sugar free diet?  Do we need another complete overhaul of nutrition theories (as we always seem to do every 10 years or so anyway!)

2 hours ago, Pete said:

This is really fascinating - Can someone explain, in simple terms, why on one hand we need carbohydrates yet it appears we don't need them all?  So on a meat only diet then 100% of our glycogen stores come from - proteins and fats?  What is the role of insulin in a a carbo/sugar free diet?  Do we need another complete overhaul of nutrition theories (as we always seem to do every 10 years or so anyway!)

The new food pyramid is just all meat - just a pile of meat 

QS222_c1LQKtEqK_hhbLC6Q05nI4RMJRrz1h8qRBR0LK-aK4TZKglz-j_ZkgtOpZy9l1yS_RrNnxDjqhOCpWTSRsvMugSUYHB7h-WmF4Dhk0fRLuOuIZdc-AN8rd6WfE47e5_WrDtdTud_XwAvN6umApWItEu9qigBisjALvKX3155UQKjvu0XwQZc35PfpRrutJkcF9fdy0coPHHEtivyr_z8esvOX8nn_5_0j38K9UIKS8hZQ4LNa9oENaaoMcZOt1IRvaybhAxamLorltKPtzSjgtqvTyvzRAdJ5uxx8wH6Ob4VLD5NHQ4Uvgr7ecSAYM--MiUhP3zxUkVSXDHjTlEFS-EHHLtU-FYO84lzdZ7W9vryfoMVebAmoo3VyB6bZB_tLiYgshXhRZ3kiOeKvQpcoyP90xNPhcca1IjuBYa70692n2YklLGnPorHqGbIBzDHJJI2Qm5v7hFEXTUjyqsUcnfHgwemPV-MGefxjZjADo85FO_pdlBIuqlSSTLRiNJ7s0ypStcjzqcW2uHo5ODqzr8HxafD0Ej5lgYEsgayHzNzhQd8Mqyty0SM3Or7d2WHTF9dS4jxh3KrMO072bdEjj96J8lunVoWGs-g=w1132-h637-no

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, AP said:

The new food pyramid is just all meat - just a pile of meat 

So what do I have with my roast lamb tonight instead of the baked pumpkin & sweet potatoes, and steamed broccoli beans & cauliflower? 

Bacon?

3 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

So what do I have with my roast lamb tonight instead of the baked pumpkin & sweet potatoes, and steamed broccoli beans & cauliflower? 

Bacon?

Sounds good.  

8 hours ago, Pete said:

Yes mark my words Carnivore is the next big thing. At least animal products V plant products the pendulum is about to swing back to animal based products. Imagine you were an aborigine and could take the choice between hunting a kangaroo or eating some bark or gum tree leaves! 

Humans evolved to eat animal products as first choice and plants as 'I'm about to die from starvation' food. The truth always comes out in the end, but now we have ventured so far from reality this big ship is going to take a long time to turn around.

Oh and yes we don't need carbs at all. We get some insulin from protein but it is used much more easily than the insulin release from carbs. And critically we feel full thanks to leptin, so it's impossible to overeat. No calorie counting or self control needed.

9 hours ago, Niseko said:

Imagine you were an aborigine and could take the choice between hunting a kangaroo or eating some bark or gum tree leaves! 

That is possibly the shittest analogies that I've ever witnessed 😂😂

At least compared it to something edible, not bark. Ffs.

• Haha 1

On 03/11/2017 at 6:38 PM, trinube said:

WTF is going on using a square to turn snags?

Got to make sure they are all square to the edge mate - nothing rough here :lol:

10 hours ago, alexholbrook said:

That is possibly the shittest analogies that I've ever witnessed 😂😂

At least compared it to something edible, not bark. Ffs.

It’s not an analogy but a real question. The point being that 99% of plants are inedible and almost 100% of animal products are edible, so risking a fight with a kangaroo would be the safest option. And they became very god at hunting with speees and boomerangs.

And how would they possibly know which plants were edible? They didn’t have a text book to look up like the guy from Into The Wild (who died from misreading his book and ate the wrong plant) . They would have had to do it through trial and error and I bet several tried their luck with  leaves and bark and paid the price until they worked it out. 

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:31 AM, Turts said:

Not even a multivitamin in there?

What are the risks of vitamin and mineral deficiency, such as scurvy from lack of vit c??

Isnt that what took down sailors who only had salted preserved meat to eat?

That's what I thought. Captain Cook used to issue floggings to crew members who refused to eat their pickled cabbage.

Yes the scurvy one is a very commone question on carnivory.  Answer is that in the absence of carbs we can get all out nutrient needs from meat. 

So Niseko, its been about 3 months since you started on this study. Have you been given any statistics yet ? Would be interested to hear some short term results. Also your own “feel” results and others feedback that see you regularly (can be anything from sleep, indigestion, financial, moods, constipation etc). Positive  and negative feedback is essential. 

When you get a chance - ta  

FM

• Like 1

Respect for being able to stick with it for 3 months.  I have had bacon & eggs for breakfast four days in a row, I'm over it. There is no way I could stick to meat & water for 3 months.

On 09/11/2017 at 5:00 AM, Flanman said:

So Niseko, its been about 3 months since you started on this study. Have you been given any statistics yet ? Would be interested to hear some short term results. Also your own “feel” results and others feedback that see you regularly (can be anything from sleep, indigestion, financial, moods, constipation etc). Positive  and negative feedback is essential. 

When you get a chance - ta  

FM

Yes I guess the results have been pretty underwhelming. In saying that I mean I haven’t noticed any difference at alll. I sort of just look and feel the same and blood work is the same. I never really ate much sugar or grains anyway so just cut lying out fruits and vegetables has been the main change. So maybe fruits and vegetables just aren’t tht important. 

On 09/11/2017 at 7:22 AM, pieman said:

He's already said he has had beer and other slip ups so hardly a concrete study...

And therein lies the problem with nutrition science. This is not even going to be a published study but it will be more accurate than the junk-science epidemiological studies that the current guidelines are based on.  Looking at populations who are forced to eat certain foods is the best way to understand nutrition. 

Thanks for the update, although very brief and holistic. 

FM

Edited by Flanman

6 hours ago, Niseko said:

Yes I guess the results have been pretty underwhelming. In saying that I mean I haven’t noticed any difference at alll. I sort of just look and feel the same and blood work is the same. I never really ate much sugar or grains anyway so just cut lying out fruits and vegetables has been the main change. So maybe fruits and vegetables just aren’t tht important. 

Hey Niseko, how loose is the definition of 'meat'?  Are you eating any chicken or fish?

7 hours ago, Niseko said:

What no instagram ripped abs photos?  pffft why would I even bother. Don't forget to hash tag everything #vegan #oneplanet with an inspirational quote.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

What no instagram ripped abs photos?  pffft why would I even bother. Don't forget to hash tag everything #vegan #oneplanet with an inspirational quote.

Yeah I was expecting the topless picture again....

It's eye opening what some people will tattoo on themselves - we're not always planning long term when we get a tat :lol:

1 hour ago, AP said:

It's eye opening what some people will tattoo on themselves - we're not always planning long term when we get a tat :lol:

I'm guessing this bloke didn't pop over to the tattoo parlour from Mensa - 

Screenshot_2016-05-18-00-04-50-1.png

8 hours ago, trinube said:

Hey Niseko, how loose is the definition of 'meat'?  Are you eating any chicken or fish?

Yes basically any animal flesh. 

So, from what little googling I've done on this it seems that, all things being equal, meat only diets are neither better or worse - the only surprise is that there is no surprises. (based primarily on the experiment with the two arctic explorer dudes)

So, cutting to the chase, if a meat-only diet is not bad for you (and that seems to be the case) what are the claims of health benefits? ( I know they are peppered throughout the thread but I am looking for a simple answer).

FWIW IMO it seems to me to be a logical extension of a high protein/fat low carb diet - I mean it is virtually impossible to eat meat only in normal circumstances so, unless you are pretty diligent about it, you are probably going to have the majority protein with a few other plan things thrown in like a bit of fruit or salad (or the crumbs on  your schnitzel!) 

The biggest problem I see with this for me, is the main benefit is that you don't feel as hungry, therefore you don't eat as much. There may be other incidentals, but I think that is the gist of the weight loss that's happening for many of them. Niseko, you were probably already on the careful side of the norm, so the weight loss didn't happen.

Me, I often eat for reasons other than "I'm hungry", and will sometimes eat till overfull if I really enjoy what I'm eating. I don't see this changing just because I'm only eating meat, so those "boredom snacks" will just be meat instead of nuts, fruit, chips or chocolate.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

16 hours ago, Pete said:

So, from what little googling I've done on this it seems that, all things being equal, meat only diets are neither better or worse - the only surprise is that there is no surprises. (based primarily on the experiment with the two arctic explorer dudes)

So, cutting to the chase, if a meat-only diet is not bad for you (and that seems to be the case) what are the claims of health benefits? ( I know they are peppered throughout the thread but I am looking for a simple answer).

FWIW IMO it seems to me to be a logical extension of a high protein/fat low carb diet - I mean it is virtually impossible to eat meat only in normal circumstances so, unless you are pretty diligent about it, you are probably going to have the majority protein with a few other plan things thrown in like a bit of fruit or salad (or the crumbs on  your schnitzel!) 

There is evidence that meat is the most nutritious food for humans. So why are our health experts (WHO, dietitians, diabetes associations) treating it like it is toxic? 

And why is veganism treated like it is a cool and healthy choice? I get the bit wanting animals to die, but why not campaign against lions and hyenas who impart terrible torment, pain and suffering on their pray?

There are a growing number of people avoiding plant foods and getting terrific results. So it’s not impossible at all if you want to make some sacrifice for your health. 

15 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

The biggest problem I see with this for me, is the main benefit is that you don't feel as hungry, therefore you don't eat as much. There may be other incidentals, but I think that is the gist of the weight loss that's happening for many of them. Niseko, you were probably already on the careful side of the norm, so the weight loss didn't happen.

Me, I often eat for reasons other than "I'm hungry", and will sometimes eat till overfull if I really enjoy what I'm eating. I don't see this changing just because I'm only eating meat, so those "boredom snacks" will just be meat instead of nuts, fruit, chips or chocolate.

What other animal counts calories or obsesses over portion control, getting enough exercise or any of the other measures of weight control we are supposed to follow to prevent obesity?

Eating animals only,  it’s impossible to become obese as you don’t need self control or exercise to maintain a healthy weight. Eat as much as you like! 

Edited by Niseko

2 minutes ago, Niseko said:

don’t need self control

Yes you do. You need self control to only eat meat, and not eat and drink all those other things that you remember taste soooooooo good.

As ex said, a lot of people eat things and at times not at all because they are hungry, but because they taste good

Right that’s true but self control over what to eat is easier than self control over how much to eat if you are eating grains and sugar. People can eat a box of biscuits and a tray of donuts but very difficult to over eat animal products. 

I don't care what they say I won't live in a world without roasted and ever-so-lightly-salted macadamia nuts!

• Like 1