Niseko

Meat and Water Diet Study

So I've been following this guy on Twitter, Shawn Baker who is the world record holder for over 50's in Concept 2 Rowing for several events, mostly short distance. He is an orthopedic surgeon who has, for the last 10 months only eaten meat and drunk water. Then I found a Facebook group (zero-ing in on Health) which has about 12,000 members who are following a similar way of eating (WOE in the lingo) and they are mostly all loving it. Lots of N=1 accounts of it curing Irritable bowel and other conditions.

So Shawn Baker is putting together this study of 90 days for people to just eat meat (basically any animal) and drink water. You need to document any deviations from the plan, and can use eggs and cheese occasionally but as much as possible just meat and water and nothing else.

So of course signed up. 

Starting in a week or two, and will be taking a bunch of tests before during and after. Will put some stuff on my long dormant blog too.

For people wanting to sign up of follow check out www.nequalsmany.com. 

• Like 1

will be interesting to watch. id be a little curious as to the effect on gut flora but am no expert on this.
part of me just says mmmmm meat

I think this will be fantastic for short-term health benefits, but could have some pretty bad repercussions long-term. My bet is that whomever tries this will instantly lose a ton of weight and gain lean muscle (if they work out.) Long term, as in being on this diet for more than a year, I think you'd start to see some nutritional deficiencies develop, and, depending on the meat, some cholesterol issues.

But who knows, some people eat ONLY VEGETABLES and don't die, so that defies logic to me. :) 

How do you get your carbs? Would this be a zero carb diet? If so, from my limited knowledge, doesn't the brain need a small amount of carbs to function?

I am not knocking something I have not tried, just an observation.

I will be keen to follow your progress

Cheers

NSF

35 minutes ago, Notsofast said:

How do you get your carbs? Would this be a zero carb diet? If so, from my limited knowledge, doesn't the brain need a small amount of carbs to function?

I am not knocking something I have not tried, just an observation.

I will be keen to follow your progress

Cheers

NSF

Some carbs from glycogen stores in the meat.

If nothing else it will give us something to talk about on Transitions - might need a bit of fibre to keep it moving through you :huh:

Imagine being on a long trip with a vegan and a meat and water only guy - would be interesting sitting around the campfire with them of an evening 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Pencil_Towel said:

Definitely looking forward to reading about your experience in this endeavour.

Best of luck.

Better hope he doesn't get banned from posting again !!!

• Like 1

Not even a multivitamin in there?

What are the risks of vitamin and mineral deficiency, such as scurvy from lack of vit c??

Isnt that what took down sailors who only had salted preserved meat to eat?

1 hour ago, Turts said:

What are the risks of vitamin and mineral deficiency, such as scurvy from lack of vit c??

I'm pretty sure this myth has already been busted.  

1 hour ago, Turts said:

14 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

I'm pretty sure this myth has already been busted.  

Got a link for that? Everything i have seen talks about the importance of vit c, and only available in fruits and veg ( and supps, although inconclusive that supps are as effective)

2 hours ago, AP said:

If nothing else it will give us something to talk about on Transitions - might need a bit of fibre to keep it moving through you :huh:

Imagine being on a long trip with a vegan and a meat and water only guy - would be interesting sitting around the campfire with them of an evening 

There's a reality tv show waiting to happen!

• Like 1

Interesting how Dr Baker's has taken a significantly different approach to Dr Garth Davis (albeit they would presumably both agree on not having much processed stuff)...

4 hours ago, AP said:

One would eat the other...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Niseko said:

So Shawn Baker is putting together this study of 90 days for people to just eat meat (basically any animal) and drink water. You need to document any deviations from the plan, and can use eggs and cheese occasionally but as much as possible just meat and water and nothing else.

There is zero chance I could do this. Whilst I've been predominantly LCHF for close to 4 years now, there's no way I could give up fruit and veg completely - even for 90 days. I also have moments of weakness (there's some killer Anzac biscuits sitting outside my office as I speak) and I'm happy enough to indulge now and then.

Good luck with it though, along with the others I'm interested in how it goes but even more interested to see how rigidly you can stick to it. Even just having water as the only fluid intake would kill me.

Yes bacon is fine - as much as you like. Basically any animal meat, organs, cow, fish, chicken all OK. I don't like organ meat so will be doing mostly:

- Late breakfast/lunch of hamburger patty bacon and sausages

- Hamburger patties in the afternoon for snacks

- Scotch fillet steak for dinner

I already did about 30 days as a kind of experiment on my own and found it quite enjoyable and overall had pretty good results. Meat is definitely my favorite food and that only increased as I went on throughout the month. I went off sweet things more and more and didn't miss them at all after a couple of weeks. I was drinking coffee then (black) but this study is no coffee. I think the things I'll miss the most is booze, coffee and fruits and veg. My wife makes amazing salads and baked veggies that I missed,, so that will be hard. I've picked a few 'outs' during the 90 days that I have events on that I will drink booze.

I was thinking to have a gut-biome analyses pre and post test but the field is no new, the two companies providing that service are producing widely different results with the same sample so it's not worth it as yet. So much to go in that area.

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/gory-details/here’s-poop-getting-your-gut-microbiome-analyzed

The main questions people have and I was also concerned about are:

- Don't you need carbs to think and train?

I'm not really training for tris at the moment, just H.I.IT, but when I was I could ride 125kms without any calories and still finish pretty strong. I think race day if going long I would need carbs. But in general there is no need for carbs int he human body. It actually seems to thrive more in the a

- Won't you get Scurvy?

Basically if you eat meat you get all the vitamins you need. Unless you start eating grains then the requirement for Vitamin C goes up

https://autoimmunethyroid.wordpress.com/2006/09/04/why-meat-prevents-scurvy/

- Won't you get constipation with no fibre?

Fibre is a really interesting one, basically in the absence of plats it's not needed at all. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435786/

http://www.biblelife.org/fiber.htm

The current management for Chrohns, IBS, Ulcerative Colitis tend to recommend increasing fibre. But there is a growing number of people who have cured themselves by avoiding plant food. 

Also more evidence that high fibre increases breast and colon cancer.

The fibre is an inflamant on the digestive tract, does not reduce appetite.

It's pretty interesting going down the rabbit hole.

99.9% of animal products are edible to humans. 

About 1% of plants are edible to humans.

And our stomach is based on hydrochloric acid same as carnivores. Ruminants are based on fermentation, so they can kill the grains first. We really on ruminants to kill the grains and turn it into real food (meat) for us, and then eat that!

Edited by Niseko

3 hours ago, Niseko said:

99.9% of animal products are edible to humans. 

About 1% of plants are edible to humans.

And our stomach is based on hydrochloric acid same as carnivores. Ruminants are based on fermentation, so they can kill the grains first. We really on ruminants to kill the grains and turn it into real food (meat) for us, and then eat that!

The first is a ridiculous statement without context of actual numbers.

The second.... our pre digestive sliva contains amylase to breakdown starchs. Aka fruit/veg. Its not just lube