trek52

2018 AG Worlds How Fast

So if someone was to attempt to make the AG 40-44 team for the Gold Coast Worlds thing, how fast would they need to go. Standard distance, would 2.10 be enough ?

I dont know if I can run at all but not overly enjoying cycling at the moment, should be able to get off the bike ok but the run would be a real struggle to go sub 45 I would think ?

any ideas ??

25 spots per ag so if you're doing 3 events including one as the national champ. 3 top 8's will secure you a spot, have a look at previous times on the courses and I'd prob drop 3-5 minutes depending on depth of last years field

2 hours ago, Pineapple said:

If you can have a decent swim and ride like you normally do and put a run around 45 ish you should be ok

Thanks mate. Dunno if i can run that fast anymore.

2 hours ago, Kenneth said:

If you need to ask, you're not fast enough

Not quite true. Been removed from the sport for a long time so have no idea of the depth or speed these days.

I reckon i can be off the bike in 1.25  with a few.months of swimming but havent run for many many years. Might go for a run this weekend !!!

Does it have to be GC?  Places will be harder due to being local rather than o/s.

Whats the reason for doing it at GC, to challenge yourself or get the tracksuit / have a holiday (or both)?

6 minutes ago, Wronggenes said:

Does it have to be GC?  Places will be harder due to being local rather than o/s.

Whats the reason for doing it at GC, to challenge yourself or get the tracksuit / have a holiday (or both)?

For most, it will be because it can be done for less than $10k, and the Friends & family can watch.

7 hours ago, trek52 said:

So if someone was to attempt to make the AG 40-44 team for the Gold Coast Worlds thing, how fast would they need to go. Standard distance, would 2.10 be enough ?

I dont know if I can run at all but not overly enjoying cycling at the moment, should be able to get off the bike ok but the run would be a real struggle to go sub 45 I would think ?

any ideas ??

Be in Townsville in three weeks time to get a head start on the competition, have plenty of time to recover / plot / train / adjust goals before the rest of the series rocks on :) 

• Like 1

Just to do something different to be honest. Dont need the tracksuit just something different to train for thats related to current fitness. 

• Like 1

Trek you sound like you are in a very similar mindset to me. Been bike racing the last few years and haven't raced tri, run or swum for 3 years. I am lucky that I will be 39 but racing in the 40-44. I am certainly looking at getting back to sub 40 run, bike is almost always under an hour so hopefully around 2:05 or a bit under on a flattish course I am hoping is enough. 

14 hours ago, prizna said:

25 spots per ag so if you're doing 3 events including one as the national champ. 3 top 8's will secure you a spot, have a look at previous times on the courses and I'd prob drop 3-5 minutes depending on depth of last years field

I thought there was only 20

9 hours ago, Wronggenes said:

There's a tracksuit? ! ?

2 hours ago, Cranky said:

I thought there was only 20

Under the terms of this selection policy, the TAAGC is not required to select the maximum of 25 males and 25 females to the team. Final team numbers are at the absolute discretion of the TAAGC.

Given they make money off it they'll select 25 and I wouldn't be surprised if they 'find' a way to add more when they know how many OS competitors there will be.

11 hours ago, trifun said:

Be in Townsville in three weeks time to get a head start on the competition, have plenty of time to recover / plot / train / adjust goals before the rest of the series rocks on :) 

If you feel the need to go to Townsville as it'll be the only place you will get decent points you're not quick enough.

Unlike politicians I am able to get away with dual citizenship. 

Go Team Ireland!!! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Gee you suck Roxii.  

I need to find a country I can apply to be a Citizen in outside of Australia

Suggestions?  Parents were Aussie as were Grand Parents

I need to get onto this scam

• Haha 1

Can the Mrs not get you Kiwi papers? 

Whats better is that Ireland are pretty easy on it as well. Great Britain want you to go there and do a "home race" Ireland dont care. 

Although that being said, I will need to improve a bit on my current level of fitness to even bother.

13 hours ago, trifun said:

shhh!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, roxii said:

Although that being said, I will need to improve a bit on my current level of fitness to even bother.

I'm sure you could roll around the course now & not be in the last 10%.

16 hours ago, trifun said:

Shhhh

;)

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Shhhh

;)

Pretty sure all the flights and accom are booked out now :wink1:

so who is going to Townsville?  I thought I'd go mainly because of the other qualification races - one is on 10 January - crikey, who is able to do an OD triathlon in January heat, straight after christmas holidays??!!!  the other is Moo, and I don't have a very good track record there in terms of finishing.....  Also had frequent flyer points to burn so why not :P

2 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

so who is going to Townsville?

Me

crikey, who is able to do an OD triathlon in January heat, straight after christmas holidays??!!!  

I've got one on Feb 3, but it's in Canberra which should help

the other is Moo, and I don't have a very good track record there in terms of finishing.....  Also had frequent flyer points to burn so why not 

:P

I'm making a call on Moobah after Townsville

I also thought it was nice of the NRL to have the Cowboys hosting the Sharks on 19 August :D

Edited by IronJimbo
I was hacked by the Russians

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:49 PM, prizna said:

25 spots per ag...

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 5:06 AM, Cranky said:

I thought there was only 20...

Each Nation can select 20 athletes per AG to compete, but the home Nation can select up to 25 athletes - Well that's what they've done in the past anyway.  And as Prizna has stated they will select the maximum if there's enough qualifiers because it's worth more money to TA plus it gives more athletes the chance to compete at a World Champs.

Unlike Ironman AG qualifying where you get a spot from a single race performance, the ITU events are based on points allocated for your place in qualifying races with the Oz Champs being worth double points.  Obviously the less competitive and lack of depth the qualifying event is the greater chance you have of getting more points.

• Like 1

Personally I don't think I'll bother trying to qualify for next year.  I don't think that qualifying should be that big of a problem but it would involve a heap of travelling, time and costs which I'm not so sure that I can justify at the moment.

Would fully recommend that others do it though, the World Champs are a great experience.