Sign in to follow this  
Oompa Loompa

Ironman Whistler

Was up at Whistler the other day and have some friends landing tomorrow to go do the race at the end of th month which got me thinking, 

It is is a beautiful part of the world but a full on nut job place to do an Ironman at first glance.  I then had a look at the course profiles and started to think, sure it's high to begin with and there is plenty of climbing but also some really long downhills.  Obviously the weather could be anything as well.

so what are people's thoughts on doing an M dot in the Whistler type environment.  I'm not comparing it to Norseman or the like but it also is in no way a busso or Cairns and at the end of the day you get a medal, same same but different.  

So thoughts on doing one somewhere here like Whistler ? Is it worth the effort ? Is the effort actually that much when you look at the downhills ? 

Thoughts ?  Personally I think it's nuts. 

I have been keen on doing this race for the last few years and have convinced the family that it would be a good launching point for a family holiday next year.

Unfortunately it's looking like the bike course will be changed next year, if the race is even maintained as surrounding counties have voted not to renew the agreement to use their roads. 

But back to your question, weather aside, it looks like a great course with plenty of flat TT road as well as the hills.  

its a refreshing trip back to doing something hard and cool, not just a boring flat fast course like a busso. Something that is genuinely a challenge.

I imagine Lake Tahoe would be similar to Whistler. 

If so it is worth doing.  

30 minutes ago, Ruley said:

its a refreshing trip back to doing something hard and cool, not just a boring flat fast course like a busso. Something that is genuinely a challenge.

What Ruley says.  Go do as many different events as possible. 

Bucket listers and softcock need not enter races like this. 

Stick to busso or the yank flat tracks. 

I did this race in 2013 when I was living in Canada. While the bike course is tough, it is simply gorgeous. Very honest and fair, long climbs, long descends and a long flat stretch for the time trialists, something for everybody. My bike split was about 20 minutes slower than usual. I still think the bike course is not as bad as the likes of IM UK, Wales, Lanzarote or Nice, but I've not done those races either.

Run had some climbs as well but many parts of it were shaded being in the forest and running on dirt road feels quite nice compared to harsh concrete.

I did Ironman Frog in nice way back when (ok, ok it was 2010), the downhills in no way make up for the climbs. especially having muppet triathletes that cant descend without riding the brakes the whole time. Although having a 10, 23 and 11km uphill bits in IMfrog is probably a little different to Whistler. Training for it in the middle of London probably not smart either.

On 23/07/2017 at 0:41 PM, Oompa Loompa said:

Was up at Whistler the other day and have some friends landing tomorrow to go do the race at the end of th month which got me thinking, 

It is is a beautiful part of the world but a full on nut job place to do an Ironman at first glance.  I then had a look at the course profiles and started to think, sure it's high to begin with and there is plenty of climbing but also some really long downhills.  Obviously the weather could be anything as well.

so what are people's thoughts on doing an M dot in the Whistler type environment.  I'm not comparing it to Norseman or the like but it also is in no way a busso or Cairns and at the end of the day you get a medal, same same but different.  

So thoughts on doing one somewhere here like Whistler ? Is it worth the effort ? Is the effort actually that much when you look at the downhills ? 

Thoughts ?  Personally I think it's nuts. 

I'll let you Know Sunday if it was a good Idea or not , I'm not expecting a PB on the mountains thats for sure .

Edited by TThomo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, willie said:

I did Ironman Frog in nice way back when (ok, ok it was 2010), the downhills in no way make up for the climbs. especially having muppet triathletes that cant descend without riding the brakes the whole time. Although having a 10, 23 and 11km uphill bits in IMfrog is probably a little different to Whistler. Training for it in the middle of London probably not smart either.

Ah that muppet triathlete must of been me! Oh hang on. I did in in 2012...  :blink:

Will always have special memories of this race as got my first Kona slot there in 2013. I'm sure some of my fans on here will remember that result fondly too. :lol:

For my strengths and weaknesses it was about as good as a race can get. 

Wetsuit swim in still lake, easy to navigate with long straight swim before a turn.

The bike course has the hill early on up to the Winter olympic Biathlon spot in Callahan, but the hills are not too long just enough to sort out packs, then the 25km out and back (total 50kms) past Pemberton is actually a treat. Not like Busso where you are sick of the monotony and TT position by this stage you've been cornering, climbing and descending so much it feels like 'go time' and you can just get in the aero position and go. On the way back to town near the end of the flat section I got to the front of the AG race which was a first for me and with over 2,000 starters that year was be a highlight of my career. Then there is a climb with head wind back to Whistler than can be tough when you're tired, but once again it's when you're ready to get out of the TT so it breaks it up nicely. (Ended up being 2nd Ager into T2). Still a cracker of a bike course, maybe the best of the 20 Its I've done.

Run is generally cool and on bitumen trails, winding with a few false flats and lakeside footpaths with out and backs so you can clock your opposition, finishing back in the heart of the village. I was tearing up the last km when knew it was in the bag:sorcerer:.

I've also done Tahoe and I think the course at Whistler course is better as is not at altitude and the climbs aren't as long and sustained. 

I have heard the township of Pemberton has regretted signing up for the use of their roads and that they lose tonnes of revenue due to it so the flat 50km TT will probably go which is a real shame. There's actually not a lot of good roads int he area to use so be interesting to see what they do.