AA7

Another AG race controversy

zed    771

Why do these people do it to themselves... and she's making it worse by posting as a "friend"...

ironpo    2,839

Wtf

how does someone with her "pace" get three sponsors 

• Like 2

roxii    4,113

She was "training" 8-9 hours a week, probably most of it on her social media profile!! 

Shrek    138

is this actually the Friday Funnies...

I was thinking the same....."sponsored"

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874

It says "connections to...." and "promote the brands". It doesn't actually say sponsored. She may have got trade price on something. Other than the headline, it doesn't really lead me to beleive she's "sponsored"..

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Fitness Buddy    624
2 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

I'm pretty sure the comments clarified she was an ambassador.  

Wtf

how does someone with her "pace" get ambassador roles.  What is she an ambassador for?  Cheating?

Slowman    238
2 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Wtf

how does someone with her "pace" get ambassador roles.  What is she an ambassador for?  Cheating?

For setting an example :lol:

roxii    4,113
1 minute ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Wtf

This particular case aside, brands choose ambassadors not purely on performance. A lot of times its about exposure, aspiration, motivation. 

Most people are disconnected from sponsored pros, and the latest bunfight with Dimond proves pros cant always be trusted to be honest, whereas a lot of aspirational age groupers can feel a better connection with "someone like them " doing the hard yards or living the life (along with all the "feels" :rolleyes: )

• Like 1

Fitness Buddy    624
1 minute ago, Slowman said:

For setting an example :lol:

Spose when you look at todays society taking short cuts to get somewhere is common then this girl fits the bill.  

Wise choice by who she ambassadors for. 

Cape_Horn    176
32 minutes ago, roxii said:

This particular case aside, brands choose ambassadors not purely on performance. A lot of times its about exposure, aspiration, motivation. 

And how much skin is shown on instagram...

• Like 1

Infinit Jase    55

It's gotta be a misunderstanding.  She's ducked into the Bakery for a couple of quick Pies and come out the front door and turned Left instead of Right.  Pretty bloody easy to do.  Trust me.  Bahahahahahaha

• Like 5

Slowman    238
2 hours ago, roxii said:

Most people are disconnected from sponsored pros, and the latest bunfight with Dimond proves pros cant always be trusted to be honest, whereas a lot of aspirational age groupers can feel a better connection with "someone like them " doing the hard yards or living the life (along with all the "feels" :rolleyes: )

Yeah that's half of what I meant by setting an example as well as the obvious tongue in cheek aspect.

In this girl's specific case, without anticipating cheating or drug taking, she was specifically chosen as a larger women to encourage others to get out there and get into sport. It is a sad fact many women don't do any sport or get much exercise after work, child rearing and domestic duties.

I'll go further with this, and say as a hangover from the 50s and 60s when it was ok for the man to have a hobby to occupy his spare time, after all he was out working for the family, it became acceptable for men to take up sport. If you think about it we men have always had this space. Women never had that space and so there was no precedent for it, except a much smaller space for crafty things or other things that enhanced family life. So with the recent history and without much precedent for ordinary women taking up sport women are more reluctant to take up a sport for fear of being judged inadequate as a mother, wife and so on by their friends, peers, husbands and some quarters of wider society.

There are team sports like netball and hockey but the time demands are far smaller than a sport like triathlon or any other endurance sport, so they've never really had that kind of sizeable time allocation or the activity, which I think accounts for such low women's participation rates (something that is improving). So ambassadors are a good thing in general and will help encourage more women into the sport - just in this case she has apparently been cheating. Maybe to live up to all these expectations (which are even expressed on this thread), now that she is an ambassador, to do better!

Greyman    317

She's been given the opportunity to respond to the post. Let's wait for that. 

In the mean time we can run a book on TC's blood pressure reading when she reads Slowmans post.

• Like 3

Fitness Buddy    624

How many times has this person cheated?  Seems a few races. 

An ambassador IMO is someone who represents a brand, a company, a product with pride and be a role model for the area in which they are in.

Cheating steps over the line not matter what size you are.  Just because she is a bigger girl doesn't justify her an ambassador she obviously doesnt respect the sport nor the brands she is promoting  

RunBrettRun    1,363

Of course we all agree with this FB.  I'd suggest the company will distance themselves now this has come out... 

• Like 1

roxii    4,113
17 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Of course we all agree with this FB.  I'd suggest the company will distance themselves now this has come out... 

Yep, I dare say when "hiring" ambassadors brands due diligence is probably restricted to asking how many followers you have and not forensically checking race results. 

• Like 1

Rimmer    354

Whatever happened to exercising because you actually wanted to???

I love the concept of humanity, but sometimes we get it so wrong!

• Like 1

The Customer    1,321
7 hours ago, Greyman said:

In the mean time we can run a book on TC's blood pressure reading when she reads Slowmans post.

Excuse my late reply, did a 30km ride then spent the whole afternoon posting about it on Insta. True.

Only thing I can think of in response to Slowman's ideas is that woman have always played sport. Particularly the full time Mums. Mid-week tennis, mid-week golf, all the gym classes that commence after drop-off time on school days and netball of course. Go out jogging anywhere in Aus and the majority of other runners you see are women - often in social groups, often pushing jogging prams. 

Edit to say, won't see me dead in one of those Coeur tri suits. And did she practice that finish celebration in the mirror? How can you celebrate when you know you cheated?

Edited by The Customer
  • Like 1

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874
10 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

She actually works for one of the companies.

Bored@work    1,495
8 hours ago, The Customer said:

Excuse my late reply, did a 30km ride then spent the whole afternoon posting about it on Insta. True.

& not one BS inspirational quote, ass, tits out, tippy toes pose. Plugs tri club & sponsors/suppliers etc with a simple #  

My 13 year old daughter is already talking about racing Ironman when she turns 18 (her trash talking game is already strong).  I know the type of athlete / instagram poster, I want her looking to for inspiration.  It's not some "dorky" BS instagram poster.  

• Like 3

RunBrettRun    1,363
3 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

& not one BS inspirational quote, ass, tits out, tippy toes pose. Plugs tri club & sponsors/suppliers etc with a simple #  

My 13 year old daughter is already talking about racing Ironman when she turns 18 (her trash talking game is already strong).  I know the type of athlete / instagram poster, I want her looking to for inspiration.  It's not some "dorky" BS instagram poster.  

I'm looking for followers, send her my way I'll inspire her.