KieranR

Facebook, I dont like it!

19 minutes ago, Peter said:

And I don't want any ex GF finding me. 

This is not something I have to worry about.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

The 25 year reunion for my old school is being organised on facebook.  It started out well and then descended into an all out fight into who was actually in charge of organising it, which then turned into an all out fight between the main parties including one who claims to be a lawyer and making all sorts of claims about money being owed against the other parties which clearly even if true went way too far.  My only contribution to the conversation was declaring that we should have a Bold and the Beautiful theme to celebrate the drama of the reunion organisation, to which I got kicked out of the group and appear to not be getting invited to the reunion.  Couldn't care less although the handbags at 20 paces would have been great for uploading to youtube, although it sounds like legal action was being considered to sort out who was organising the "official" reunion just before I got kicked out

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm organising the reunion of our Uni graduating year for Rural Science for March next year.

There is no argy bargy cos I'm being a benevolent dictator and doing it myself with a local mate.

13 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

The 25 year reunion for my old school is being organised on facebook.  It started out well and then descended into an all out fight into who was actually in charge of organising it, which then turned into an all out fight between the main parties including one who claims to be a lawyer and making all sorts of claims about money being owed against the other parties which clearly even if true went way too far.  My only contribution to the conversation was declaring that we should have a Bold and the Beautiful theme to celebrate the drama of the reunion organisation, to which I got kicked out of the group and appear to not be getting invited to the reunion.  Couldn't care less although the handbags at 20 paces would have been great for uploading to youtube, although it sounds like legal action was being considered to sort out who was organising the "official" reunion just before I got kicked out

The thing with facebook is for anyone of moderate intelligence or less, it really gives you a great insight into what they are really like and is a good tool for deciding who to keep in your life or not.  Keep the dramas online and in perspective, and not in your life.  

This is so true.

I haven't been to a school reunion and never would. I didn't much like the people I went to school with and they weren't mad on me either. The school was excellent and I had a small group of close friends who I occasionally keep in touch with - these are the guys I rowed with. The last 25 years hasn't made me wonder what they are up to or who they are still friends with; similarly, I don't expect they are losing sleep over me!

If they still hang out with each other, that is their own business .... my preferred version of "social networking" is going to the pub for a beer and a chat. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tyno said:

This is not something I have to worry about.

Another reason I don't like Facebook is that this was the medium through which I found out that my ex had been cheating on me for two years before she finally dumped me. Also found out she liked the disco biscuits and the Stone Roses (can't really fault her on the second part of that), that she was at music festivals instead of studying as she told me and that she was rogering a bloke called Andy!

Some people are too stupid to have access to the internet!

10 hours ago, Rimmer said:

This is so true.

I haven't been to a school reunion and never would. I didn't much like the people I went to school with and they weren't mad on me either. The school was excellent and I had a small group of close friends who I occasionally keep in touch with - these are the guys I rowed with. The last 25 years hasn't made me wonder what they are up to or who they are still friends with; similarly, I don't expect they are losing sleep over me!

If they still hang out with each other, that is their own business .... my preferred version of "social networking" is going to the pub for a beer and a chat. 

While I don't have any desire to catch-up with school friends, these days I'm more ambivalent about it rather than still resentful of the way I was treated or holding any grudges.

As I've gotten older and my own personal list of regrets has built, I hope that I'm not the same person I was when I was younger - I'd hate to meet me 30 years ago – and I'm guessing that other people are the same.

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 1:30 PM, KieranR said:

I've had Facebook since 2007 on and off, I wouldn't call it a love hate thing...

I've had it since about 2011 and I would definitely call it a love hate thing!

I don't like it or half the rubbish that's on it, but the other stuff is pretty entertaining for all the reasons that you guys have identified above.  I'm in several closed groups of things that interest me (trail running etc) so can post stuff at will without annoying any friends and family that are not into it.  It's also the only way I find out about half the stuff that goes on.  Having said that the only time I get on Facebook is on my laptop during down time at home. I don't get on it on my phone so although I miss half the stuff on it I'm also not tied to it.

I've never actually sent a friend request to anyone, so anyone who's friends me on Facebook have done it to themselves!!  If you want to be friends with me on Facebook then you'll need to send me a friend request because I'm not going to force myself on anyone - That's probably not fair but it's the way it is.  Also any friends that I do have on Facebook are people who I actually like.  There's a couple on there that I've never actually met but they either have similar interests to me or there's something about them that I like, even if they may seem weird in other ways.  I guess we're all weird in one way or another, it's just a matter of being more tolerant of people.

Facebook also just told me that at the recently held Frankfurt IM to qualify for Kona in the Male 50-54 Age Group you would need to do the race in 9:39:36.  There were 8 spots in that age group and it rolled to 11th.  In the 45-49 Age Group there were 11 spots, it rolled to 15th and a 9:45:13 would have got you there.

In the Female 50-54 Age Group you needed to do 10:25:19 to qualify for Kona, yet in the 45-49 AG a 10:42:15 would have got you there.

Who say's that qualifying for Kona gets easier as you get older...  Thanks Facebook!

So this morning I wish my black Muslim French female friend "happy birthday darrr-ling" and what's auto correct change it to?

Happy birthday dark-ling

Huge fail. I want to hide.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rocket Salad said:

So this morning I wish my black Muslim French female friend "happy birthday darrr-ling" and what's auto correct change it to?

Happy birthday dark-ling

Huge fail. I want to hide.

racist prick, lol

When I opened my accout, people I wouldn't urinate on got blocked asap.

• Like 1

Well, I've kept it, BUT like others have said, a lot of the clubs, events etc are only actively advertised on FB, so I have kept it for that reason only, The friends list has been deleted to show zero friends because I really dont care what you are doing or where you have just been or had for dinner.

Life's good!

• Like 1

Deleted it for good! gone. 

Positive ill miss out on events etc that only get advertised on there, but as my wife says, I'm an anti social prick anyway who dislikes most people and I wouldn't attend anyway.

• Like 1

I don't think you will. A colleague of mine is researching Peak-Facebook and reckons we're so saturated with information that we have descended into responding to each other in a more human, 1:1 sense. His research suggests 3-5 years before it goes the way of MySpace / Bebo etc.

There will still be people who live off this, but businesses are starting to look for other ways to promote and differentiate themselves.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rimmer said:

I don't think you will. A colleague of mine is researching Peak-Facebook and reckons we're so saturated with information that we have descended into responding to each other in a more human, 1:1 sense. His research suggests 3-5 years before it goes the way of MySpace / Bebo etc.

There will still be people who live off this, but businesses are starting to look for other ways to promote and differentiate themselves.

this is good news!

On 10/11/2017 at 10:23 AM, KieranR said:

but as my wife says, I'm an anti social prick anyway who dislikes most people

I was at a work training session y'day and was told several times I'm a 'people person'.

I could have laughed out loud!

Guess I can be when I have to be, and when guiding due to shared interest, but really never happier than when out in the middle of nowhere on a stream alone, with fly-rod in hand.

• Like 1

A guy i work with has thousands of FB friends and is one of the most narcisistic / deceptive people i know.

• Like 1

That sounds about right. 

54 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

I was at a work training session y'day and was told several times I'm a 'people person'.

I could have laughed out loud!

Guess I can be when I have to be, and when guiding due to shared interest, but really never happier than when out in the middle of nowhere on a stream alone, with fly-rod in hand.

I have never had the personality that would enable me to keep people interested or satisfied.  most of my conversations are awkward and then i piss off out of there pretty quickly.  Just last night i had an argument with my wife about how i have never attended a kids birthday party yet for either my son or daughter ages 4 & 8, she constantly asks why, as to her its a great opportunity for me to meet other Dads etc same answer every time is I'm just not interested, kids annoy me, adults annoy me, i dont like them and am not interested in conversing with them.  So shes flying solo again at a party the kids have been invited to this Saturday. 

Maybe i have a problem?

If only i had a fly rod and an isolated stream - sounds perfect to me. 

• Like 1

I feel a lot the same. I was always worried when i was made the Regional Manager at work that I had problems relating with other people. As a part of some recent training, we did a 360 review, and it appears my team (and the other managers) think that is one of the things that sets me above the rest. 

Who'd a thunk.

3 hours ago, KieranR said:

I have never had the personality that would enable me to keep people interested or satisfied.  most of my conversations are awkward and then i piss off out of there pretty quickly.  Just last night i had an argument with my wife about how i have never attended a kids birthday party yet for either my son or daughter ages 4 & 8, she constantly asks why, as to her its a great opportunity for me to meet other Dads etc same answer every time is I'm just not interested, kids annoy me, adults annoy me, i dont like them and am not interested in conversing with them.  So shes flying solo again at a party the kids have been invited to this Saturday. 

Maybe i have a problem?

If only i had a fly rod and an isolated stream - sounds perfect to me. 

To be honest yeah it does sound like you have a problem... i am a massive introvert and think along the same lines as you but still go as it's important to my kids and wife.   Often ill stand by myself watch tv or on phone but kids are rapt just to have me there..

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, pieman said:

To be honest yeah it does sound like you have a problem... i am a massive introvert and think along the same lines as you but still go as it's important to my kids and wife.   Often ill stand by myself watch tv or on phone but kids are rapt just to have me there..

My kids are going to a birthday party to play with the other kids, they are not interested in me being there, they are not interested in my wife being there also, however most times one parent is required to stay, although on some occasions the party hosts request the kids are dropped off and parents leave.  if i have no interest in socializing i dont see the need to go - I'm awkward- so the less i have to be there and not be awkward the better in my opinion.

On another note my son and I do not get along, yes he's only 4 but he doesn't want a bar of me whatsoever despite my efforts, i cant even get him a drink of water.  however in efforts to try and better understand him I have signed up to do a 6 week course about learning to understand my child.  My daughter and I get along famously and in fact we have a date tonight at the camping shop together to get some Sand pegs for our trip to Broome next weekend.

I've just an interview back in my old stomping ground of RAN deployment.  At the interview I was asked by the panel what percentage of my time was spent on my mobile and other devices using data for SM ( not meaning forums), I said 'zero' and they said 'really!?' :huh:

I really like interacting with real people but I could happily spend a month in my own company and not communicate with anyone.  I haven't been to any kids birthday parties but Flipper has only been to about three herself and they are very low key affairs (about 8 people).  Her birthday is Boxing Day, so everyone else is busy anyway but before we had her, Mrs FP knows I don't do that stuff well so she said she'd 'do all that 'B)

Probably strangely enough, I never thought of myself as extroverted.  I have very few friends around here, and see very few people.  I'd have more people on trannies that I'd call friend than I have in face to face people I see.  But it was pointed out to me recently that I am in fact extremely extroverted - but it's not about being loud, and out with people all the time etc.  But just that I crave being around people, which is funny since I spend most of my days alone.  But then my mate pointed out to me that when we'd go away to races (3 of us) the other mate would always ask where I was and my mate would reply "he's off making friends".   And that I'll talk to anyone, anywhere, anytime.

• Like 1