KieranR

Facebook, I dont like it!

I've had Facebook since 2007 on and off, I wouldn't call it a love hate thing, but it can be useful, to be honest most people have it.  But i just dont like it.  Over the years I've found myself sitting on the couch scrolling through FB, the wife at the other end of the couch doing the same thing - I hate that, so i would delete it, but then a week or so later id be back on doing the same thing - Weak as piss-

It has its good points, lots of stuff is sold on it these days, both house hold and Tri stuff, I've never actually bought anything off it, but i have sold some stuff, it reaches a far greater audience than gumtree or Ebay etc.

But its just that i would always find myself on it, and i dont like that, so clearly im lacking self discipline, possibly a screen addiction ( i doubt that but its a possibility), its more self discipline in my opinion.

I really dont need it, i have fark all friends, if i was really honest about things i would say on my FB friends list which is only 50 something there are maybe 2 friends, the rest are family who I have nothing to do with, but because they are family i accepted the request, and some other people from my triathlon club, not really friends.  Im not an outgoing person so struggle with the friends thing (I'm OK with that, its my personality).

So i currently have my FB account de activated, with the intent of closing it down, I literally dont care what others are up to and never go to their individual pages (how many really do?)

I dont really know why i wrote this, I'm just having a rant, Im having a shit week, life goes on........

• Like 6

I've done the same with FB & twitter. This site is the limit of my social media at the moment.

The only downside of not being on FB is my Tri-Club use it at their primary means of communication, ditto for my local Rugby club so I get no score updates if I'm not at the game, I don't get to see the what gigs are coming up around town etc etc..

The upside is I'm slowly becoming less of a zombie staring into the little black mirror in my palm.

Hopefully I'll maintain my exile but maybe it'll suit me to re-activate at some point.

I joined fb for the first time about a month ago. 40 friends on the list. I joined for their epic late night drunken rants.

My Father passed away when I was  young and I don't have a lot to remember him by. He was a teacher and I found there was a facebook group dedicated to past students of that school so I joined the group, advertised who I was and what i was looking for. I was greeted with many great stories about my Dad. - I could have cried I was so happy -   I can't begin to tell you what an amazing experience that was for me. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, noknees said:

The only downside of not being on FB is my Tri-Club use it at their primary means of communication, ditto for my local Rugby club so I get no score updates if I'm not at the game, I don't get to see the what gigs are coming up around town etc etc..

This is one downside to not having it, the same with my tri clubs, local events, everyone uses the social media platform these days, I'm sure ill be ok, im at that point in my life where i dont actually want it, Ill go back in and save all my photos and put them somewhere safe on a external hard drive.  I do have my instagram page but, i find it a great way of storing my pics with an inividualized hashtag i made up.

1 hour ago, noknees said:
46 minutes ago, Pete said:

My Father passed away when I was  young and I don't have a lot to remember him by. He was a teacher and I found there was a facebook group dedicated to past students of that school so I joined the group, advertised who I was and what i was looking for. I was greeted with many great stories about my Dad. - I could have cried I was so happy -   I can't begin to tell you what an amazing experience that was for me. 

This is amazing Pete, Im stoked for you that you found info about your dad, that is priceless for you, and that is one of the amazing things about our social media world these days, so many links to the past and it has made finding out info a whole lot easier.  For me i wish i had never joined FB, at this stage in my life i dont use it for anything other than wasting time scrolling though page after page of crap, im not on any group pages of any worth to me, nor do i have family members etc that i need or want to find out info about.  Im about to become very withdrawn from it all.

Im a v v later adopter to most things and would have only joined FB about 12 months or so ago I think.  Just found that more organisations are using it for comms (tri, swim, old school stuff etc).  I'd have maybe 30 friends on there and that's it - I look at my 20YO daughter who has (I think) 1500+ and just think it must be chaos.  I also stop following anyone who just swamps it with crap (but don't tell them that!).  Taking that approach it seems to work alright.

I work in IT and don't have an account with any of the big players.

I don't need it for what I do, don't have any interest in the content, and don't trust any of them further than I can spit.

Facebook is great for organizing training sessions and the late night memes.  

Its also great as we have a private family page where we put photos of grandkids. 

Now my mother and the other nanny both know what's going on with grandkids 000's of Kms away. 

As for posing, look what I ate for lunch photos. Well fark that 

there is a good article around that says that many kids are badly affected by how many likes they do or don't get, being unfriended, not hearing from friends and then there's the school rants against teachers. there is also something seriously not right about people posting certain pics of themselves to boost their egos.  just another thing we never really needed and would have been better off without it. gosh life was so good without mobile phones and social on line networks.  not all new technology has really improved our lives. 

FB is a funny thing.

I use it to stay in touch with people I don't normally see - ironically many of them trannies.

My extended family get's the sh!ts when I won't accept their friend requests but I don't see the point when I can see them anytime. I have plenty of friends at work but none are FB friends. I've had people I went to school with send me requests but I wasn't that close to them in school so don't really see the need 40 years later.

It's become so ubiquitous it's almost necessary to have an account. I can see many businesses forgoing regular web sites and just having a FB presence. 

I have no idea what I'm even trying to say about it - it is what it is and I'm certain it can be both good and evil.

• Like 1

I use it to converse with my brothers & sister, and I'm in a few Buy/Sell/Swap groups. I'm also in a community group which provides me with a bit of entertainment. 

Lately it's mainly been for following a lot of the Brisbane OW swimmers that are doing channel swims this year (1 is 2/3 the way across as we speak) through a group page we have.

I've only got about 20 friends, and have probably made 10 posts to my page in 5 years. So few that at first I couldn't get into the B/S/S groups because they thought I was a fake identity.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

40 minutes ago, Prince said:

there is also something seriously not right about people posting certain pics of themselves to boost their egos.

When I was a teenager I said and did some REALLY dumb things - OK, I probably did that last week too, but that's not the point - I'm thankful that there wasn't a FB/Google/Twitter that has all of it on record and will never forget...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XCOM! said:

When I was a teenager I said and did some REALLY dumb things - OK, I probably did that last week too, but that's not the point - I'm thankful that there wasn't a FB/Google/Twitter that has all of it on record and will never forget...

Yep same here & probably many others too.The thought of going for a job interview & they'd seen on FB my weekend antics when I was too young to know better & too arrogant to care  .. sheeesh it would be awful!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, surfer101 said:

Yep same here & probably many others too.The thought of going for a job interview & they'd seen on FB my weekend antics when I was too young to know better & too arrogant to care  .. sheeesh it would be awful!

I've told my daughter exactly this. She's actually kept me friended on FB & I can see her Instagram etc so that I can let her know if she posts anything she shouldn't. Hopefully not too late, but at least it keeps what's easily visible in a good state for any potential employer.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, surfer101 said:

I delete my account ever 2 years and start again. Just to remove all the shit.

but its also locked down well. Or so i think. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I've told my daughter exactly this. She's actually kept me friended on FB & I can see her Instagram etc so that I can let her know if she posts anything she shouldn't. Hopefully not too late, but at least it keeps what's easily visible in a good state for any potential employer.

yep, I occasionally will check out someones Facebook as part of the recruitment process. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Peter said:

but its also locked down well. Or so i think

When you change your Profile pic or cover photo, that's public.

56 minutes ago, Prince said:

yep, I occasionally will check out someones Facebook as part of the recruitment process. 

So do I. That's why I go through hers.

I've had an account since 2009. Certainly not an addict and an infrequent poster at best. In fact I'm a late adopter for most tech things and don't ever really feel that they are indispensable or significantly improve the quality of my life.

The reason I got a FB account (and an early one at that) was to keep in touch with family and close friends. We have a closed family only page where we keep them updated with what's happening, photos of the kids and tales from our travels. This has been invaluable based on my military job that has seen us move around Oz a lot, spend a couple of years living in the US and now living over here in Dubai.

Other than that, it wouldn't devastate me if I didn't have it.

I was determined to be the last person on the planet on FB, but have failed and joined up last week (as my wife got sick of me looking at stuff on her a/c).  My friends all said 'about time'....but now they are regretting it :lol:

It has been intriguing to see what old school and uni colleagues are up to but I can see how it become addictive.

Agree Prince - the days without all this communication technology were magic. I recall when our landline number was 'Delegate 7'...and the bloody thing virtually never rang. 

14 hours ago, trinube said:

FB is a funny thing.

I use it to stay in touch with people I don't normally see - ironically many of them trannies.

My extended family get's the sh!ts when I won't accept their friend requests but I don't see the point when I can see them anytime. I have plenty of friends at work but none are FB friends. I've had people I went to school with send me requests but I wasn't that close to them in school so don't really see the need 40 years later.

It's become so ubiquitous it's almost necessary to have an account. I can see many businesses forgoing regular web sites and just having a FB presence. 

I have no idea what I'm even trying to say about it - it is what it is and I'm certain it can be both good and evil.

The friend requests form people at school etc annoys me big time, I was teased & harassed big time at school, literally had no friends and spent most of my time hiding out around the special ed area's talking with those kids.  Then all of a sudden as an adult i get requests from numerous people who teased me etc, i had great pleasure in firing off a PM to them politely asking why they would have any interest in me when they were not a decent enough human being towards me as a teenager.  never got a responses from any of them.

11 hours ago, Prince said:

I think this happens a heck of a lot, it makes sense to do so, the whole recruitment process is never a cheap one (in Oil and gas anyway) so it definitely is a worthwhile thing to check.

2 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Agree Prince - the days without all this communication technology were magic. 

I want to get back to this, maybe im being silly with how everything is these days and its wishful thinking but hey why not give it a shot, im sure i will survive.  last night after i got home from my run and sat down and had dinner with the wife and kids, i put the kids to bed etc, then i came out to settle in for a couple of hours watching the the TDF and my wife was sat on the couch on her phone, she said to me, so i see you have cancelled your FB account again and rolled her eyes at me, i said yeah, dont intend on getting it back either, to which she called me old fashioned......I said maybe you should try it for a while.......rolled her eyes at me again!

The 25 year reunion for my old school is being organised on facebook.  It started out well and then descended into an all out fight into who was actually in charge of organising it, which then turned into an all out fight between the main parties including one who claims to be a lawyer and making all sorts of claims about money being owed against the other parties which clearly even if true went way too far.  My only contribution to the conversation was declaring that we should have a Bold and the Beautiful theme to celebrate the drama of the reunion organisation, to which I got kicked out of the group and appear to not be getting invited to the reunion.  Couldn't care less although the handbags at 20 paces would have been great for uploading to youtube, although it sounds like legal action was being considered to sort out who was organising the "official" reunion just before I got kicked out

The thing with facebook is for anyone of moderate intelligence or less, it really gives you a great insight into what they are really like and is a good tool for deciding who to keep in your life or not.  Keep the dramas online and in perspective, and not in your life.  

We got unfriended by my wifes cousin after she started on another one of her sorrow inducing rants about how hard it was to keep up with the mortgage and kids school fees etc when I asked her why she was flying to the Gold Coast with her girlfriends every month then for a weekend of partying and drinking - guess she didn't want Daddy with his perpetually open wallet to know about those

And yes, it's also useful for recruitment and it's been the decider in whether to progress candidates before

12 hours ago, surfer101 said:

Thankfully Facebooks nudity policy would have precluded a lot of evidence. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

My only contribution to the conversation was declaring that we should have a Bold and the Beautiful theme to celebrate the drama of the reunion organisation, to which I got kicked out of the group and appear to not be getting invited to the reunion.

Gotta be in the running for post of the year. Quality.........

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tyno said:

When you change your Profile pic or cover photo, that's public.

My photo isn't a photo of me.

And I don't want any ex GF finding me.