Sign in to follow this  
Facta

Sour Grapes or worth calling the Champ out?

Facta    11

Van Vlerken Calls out Ryf for not attending a few pro functions and getting special treatment

Worth the call out or simply sour grapes?

** Can't workout how to grab a few quotes from the article sorry**

Screen-Shot-2017-07-12-at-4.12.04-pm-102

Full article:

http://yvonnevanvlerken.eu/index_htm_files/Newsletter Yvonne van Vlerken Juli - 2 2017.pdf

Edited by Facta
Found a quote from the article

Supamau    95

I get where she is coming from, but isn't it an athlete's choice whether to attend the events around a race??? 

ironpo    2,839

What a Load of codswallop

DR is the best in the world because she ticks all the boxes

• Like 2

johan    25

Thats nothing compared to the twitter-storm thats exploded from calling the Pro panels "Men talk" and "Girls-talk"..... 

The argument which always then boils down to .......

....you are an Iron......person!!

AA7    1,001
Just now, johan said:

Thats nothing compared to the twitter-storm thats exploded from calling the Pro panels "Men talk" and "Girls-talk"..... 

Not about the gender of male v female. It's the labelling of girls rather than women. 

willie    637

Always disliked van vlerken. Something about her personality just irks me. From the drafting off hubby back in the day to the stupid video in the shower with the white tri suit. 

Sutto hit the nail on the head about some pros being in it for the lifestyle..... 

• Like 2

Peter    1,611
19 minutes ago, willie said:

Always disliked van vlerken. Something about her personality just irks me. From the stupid video in the shower with the white tri suit. . 

Okay so you are gay.  Nothing wrong with that.

Facta    11
3 hours ago, johan said:

Do you have a link to that?

AA7    1,001

Few people having a go at witsup for recognising the winner of Jonkoping 70.3, Lisa Huetthaler, known drug cheat.

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874
5 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Few people having a go at witsup for recognising the winner of Jonkoping 70.3, Lisa Huetthaler, known drug cheat.

Unfortunately, once you've served your drug ban, you're free to win any race you want, even if the effects of the previous drug taking gives you an unfair advantage long past the end of that ban.

Peter    1,611

Yeah it's not like criminals haven't done crimes again after getting out of jail

oh hang on.

Rocket Salad    1,068

I support all efforts to stop the filthy drug cheats. Get them out of the sport. It should be a life bans not 4 years.

• Like 1

Slowman    238

Sounds like pre-race sledging to me. Anything to get into the competition's head and create some doubt - any kind of doubt.

Edited by Slowman

The Customer    1,321

Seen Van Vlerken drafting her ass off with my own eyes. Zero respect for her. I guess if she can't win races on her own talent, playing the sponsor/media game is all she has. Ryf wins because she makes it happen in the choices she makes.

AA7    1,001

Ryf's response on her facebook page.

Greyman    317

While I understand Suttos desire to drive the line of long course pro triathletes being warriors and more professional at racing etc etc. there's always two sides to the situation. The race organisation has assembled sponsorship money to run the race and pay prize monies amongst other things. The sponsors put up the money looking for exposure of their product during the race and pre and post race activities. They pay the money expecting to see the pro athletes in front of their product banner or using their product.  

When a pro athlete signs a contract for the race this is part of the agreement in the contract. 

Sutto cleverly glossed over one bit. Unlike WTC races, Challenge races and Roth in particular, include in their Pro contracts a stipulation for attending and participating in pre and post race activities as required. 

If it's good enough for all the other pro's to turn up, then perhaps Ryf could have been even more "professional" as Sutto puts it, and attended at least one of the required events. 

I bet she's the first to complain when her cheque doesn't turn up in the Mail on time because sponsors and race management are going through the list of what she attended and what she missed. Sponsors don't cough up money for no shows.  They want to see a return on their sponsorship investmentand when they don't, that's when the arguing starts. 

Good on Yvonne for calling Ryf out on this one. It needed to be done. No one ever saw Chrissie Wellington dodge the pre and post race activities and she still won the race a few times. Now who was her coach??? Yeah I know........ Doesn't add up does it.

The Customer    1,321

Different personality types Greydude. I'm pretty sure Challenge aren't complaining about the publicity the Trisutto camp bring to their races. :P

And Van Vlerken? Didn't even notice she was racing.

Edited by The Customer
  • Like 1

ironpo    2,839
1 minute ago, The Customer said:

Different personality types Greydude. I'm pretty sure Challenge aren't complaining about the publicity the Trisutto camp bring to their races. :P

And Van Vlerken? Didn't even notice she was racing.

Correct

Greyman    317

TC,

personality has little to do with it. You can be a high strung hard to get a long With athlete or laid back happy go lucky, and still turn up for the required race activities. 

Your comment about training camps/ squads and relative publicity is moot. Depending on where you are located and your particular focus, will depend on where you bring publicity (good and bad) for the race. Besides Ryf, how many people could tell you that their was a trisutto squad there? Probably the same can be said for the various European squads (some of which are huge like Van Lierdes squad from Germany) and their relative publicity they bring.

Or it could be argued that a small group of 20 athletes forming the IMTalk Roth camp crew would have provided the widest level of publicity via their daily podcast from the camp and race. It also helps they had some old "hack" named Scott Molina along for the camp and Racing Roth for the first time. 

hope you didn't make the assumption I am a fan of Yvonne. Far from that, but I respect her action to call out a fellow professional when it's required. Should be a bit more of it.

Tyno    1,366
1 hour ago, Greyman said:

They want to see a return on their sponsorship investmentand when they don't, that's when the arguing starts. 

Challenge and their sponsors got plenty of return using Ryf as the main draw in the lead up to the race.

The entire focus of the lead up to the Women's Race was whether Ryf would break Chrissie's record or not.

• Like 1

The Customer    1,321

Greyman, you took the term 'camp' too literally. I wasn't referring to a training camp. I was talking about the professionalism of Sutto athletes as a whole and the way careers are managed within that group. Far better for the athlete to win Roth than to be seen at a 'party'. Ryf manages her sponsorship commitments with the utmost professionalism and I'm sure Challenge aren't complaining about her presence in the race and the media interest it generated.

The secret to Sutto's success is that athletes are treated as individuals - what worked for Chrissie may not work Ryf. The differences between extroverts and introverts has never been more obvious in this particular case and Sutto respects these differences.

Edited by The Customer

AP    1,596

personality has little to do with it. You can be a high strung hard to get a long With athlete or laid back happy go lucky, and still turn up for the required race activities. 

No-one is bigger than the sport or the rules 

The Customer    1,321

Tell that to Alister Brownlee :D

They way some of you are going on, you'd think that elite athletes never put themselves first or something.