Sign in to follow this  
truck

Ch 7 Brisbane news - cyclists targeted for speeding

truck    240

Saw this fine piece of journalism on Ch7 Brisbane news last night.  Apparently 160!!! cyclists were issued infringement notices last year for speeding and going through red lights so it's a major drama. (Although QLD wide, they didn't compare it to the 55,000 fines issued to car drivers for not having a valid rego in the same period).  One of the solutions is to have compulsory speedometers on bikes - that way at least I won't see the potholes until it's too late as I'm studying my speedometer.  Don't get me wrong, we all see cyclists doing the wrong thing but they are in a massive minority and reporting it like this just gives the rednecks more fuel for their fire.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/qld/video/watch/36342236/crackdown-on-speeding-cyclists/#page1

AA7    1,001

Absolutely ridiculous. I sent them a message.

goughy    2,146

Yeah, if call it a slow news day. And it keeps the sensationalism of the story going for them. Wonder if they have the numbers for the amount of motorists doing the same thing over the same period?

I have no problem with the cyclists getting busted. Just with them making it seem the problem is worse than it is to fuel a fire. 

• Like 2

beaten    33
On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:45 PM, Rude Beef said:

40km/h over the speed limit! I'd be framing that infringement notice, straight to the poolroom!

Was thinking the same thing, total bullshit. Most cyclists would be lucky to be sitting on 40kmh unless on a descent, more or less that amount over the speed limit.

AP    1,596

I have no problem with the cyclists getting busted. Just with them making it seem the problem is worse than it is to fuel a fire. 

I know of one of our club mates who was booked for speeding on the Mt Cootha descent - a joke really - I felt sorry for the cops who were sent out there to police such a stupid thing - they were there one day booking people for not have a bell - seriously some dickhead sent them out there to do this :huh:

And when journalism stoops to this level it must be an embarrassment to the whole profession - we see so many examples these days of journalists stooping to the level of used car salesmen or worse, politicians  :huh: there was a time when they had values

Edited by AP
spelling

dazmuzza    37
9 hours ago, AP said:

I know of one of our club mates who was booked for speeding on the Mt Cootha descent - a joke really - I felt sorry for the cops who were sent out there to police such a stupid thing - they were there one day booking people for not have a bell - seriously some dickhead sent them out there to do this :huh:

And when journalism stoops to this level it must be an embarrassment to the whole profession - we see so many examples these days of journalists stooping to the level of used car salesmen or worse, politicians  :huh: there was a time when they had values

The guy who heads up Indro police station is known for his zealous persecution of those riding bicycles, at least so I'm told. Hence why there is frequent targetting of Coot-tha

bRace    39

Let's hope Channel 7 don't discover Strava segments. There'll be media outrage.

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874

The beauty of this story is that it's self perpetuating. Police target areas where they get complaints. The TV stations complain about the cyclists speeding down Mt Coot-tha (for those interstate, that's where the TV stations are), then they can do stories about the evil cyclists speeding and endangering lives.

trifun    149

Remember it comes with a fine AND demerit point & goes on your permanent driving record (without any notation that it was on a bike).

EG:  not stopping at a stop sign

if repeated (with any vehicle car/bike etc) in two years (in Qld anyway) you might score a double penalty under the repeat offenders category as well!

Though when I "done" for speeding on a bike ( 50 in a forty zone) I was only cautioned not fined - as opposed to the stop sign where they visited me in hospital the next day (two missing teeth, broken nose, 72 stitched to face and concussion) and then got all soft and reduced it to "driving without due care" (one less point and a slightly smaller fine) apparently it does not matter if a car is speeding (coz I should have made it :) ) - you have to stop and give way to all (who'd have thought).  Never done that again though.

Merv    126

it is so simple to make a complaint, you might be the most law abiding rider on the planet, it makes little difference if someone carries a grudge.    

Cat Lady    301

I love how they think that if Cyclists had a number plate they could be reported for breaking the road rules.  Ive tried to report cars breaking the rules by ringing the police with a number plate.  Police response = :lol:.  Unless they see it, not interested.