WhiffyFuzzball

AAA 2018

So 2018 was to be the year I would finally do AAA. Turning 50, coming off an ironman year.. perfect. Except it's been moved back to March and is now the same weekend as Mooloolaba which I am committed to. Aaaarghhh!

March? 

Weather very iffy ...

I always thought that the weekend closest to the summer solstice would be ideal (i.e. The weekend before Xmas). 

Typically that is the time when my mates and I get a leave pass from our respective partners to do a multiple day motorbike tour and a few years ago our route took us through Jindy & Thredbo and it stuck me at the time how much of a ghost town both Jindy and Thredbo were. Obviously the snowies are a peak tourist destination from Xmas until the end of school holidays, but the week before Xmas was dead. In other words, lost of potential accomodation, little road traffic etc.

Also about 15hrs of sunlight at that latitude at that time of year. Whereas ... March - less than 10 hours of daylight and much risk of bad and cold weather ...

Edited by Andrew #1

Yes

the first year date was wrong due and let the weather in to play

last year they changed it due to the large feedback

now thay go back to putting the viability of the race back to the weather gods 

looking seriously at this as something outside the normal.

For an 11hr Iron distance completer is the cut-offs achievable?

Also what gearing on the bike to make the hills best?

I did the race last year. I found the cut-offs easily achievable and I didn't break 11hr at Port.

I rode 42/24 as my lowest and no one passed me on the 30km climb from Thredbo River to Charlotte Pass, whereas I picked off at least 10 riders. I wouldn't bother changing my gear ratios but others may feel otherwise.

Having said that, with what I've seen some years in Dec and Jan, if the weather turns nasty, no gear selection is going to get through. That's the nature of the mountains though.

AAA is the most exciting tri I've done in Aust in decades.

8 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

I did the race last year. I found the cut-offs easily achievable and I didn't break 11hr at Port.

I rode 42/24 as my lowest and no one passed me on the 30km climb from Thredbo River to Charlotte Pass, whereas I picked off at least 10 riders. I wouldn't bother changing my gear ratios but others may feel otherwise.

Having said that, with what I've seen some years in Dec and Jan, if the weather turns nasty, no gear selection is going to get through. That's the nature of the mountains though.

AAA is the most exciting tri I've done in Aust in decades.

Paul

thanks for that, just to convince the wife of a weekend in the Snowy Mountains and be good to go.

Were clip on aero bars on the roady useful or just dead weight?

I've raced in the NZ mountain area's so have plenty of respect for mountain area's, and the gear to go with the respect

On 7/11/2017 at 1:45 PM, Andrew #1 said:

March? 

Weather very iffy ...

I always thought that the weekend closest to the summer solstice would be ideal (i.e. The weekend before Xmas). 

Typically that is the time when my mates and I get a leave pass from our respective partners to do a multiple day motorbike tour and a few years ago our route took us through Jindy & Thredbo and it stuck me at the time how much of a ghost town both Jindy and Thredbo were. Obviously the snowies are a peak tourist destination from Xmas until the end of school holidays, but the week before Xmas was dead. In other words, lost of potential accomodation, little road traffic etc.

Also about 15hrs of sunlight at that latitude at that time of year. Whereas ... March - less than 10 hours of daylight and much risk of bad and cold weather ...

December is not an option.

Yes, the race has to be outside of school holidays for road safety reasons. School holidays start on the 16th December this year.

The weekend of 8-10 December is Coast to Kosciuszko Ultramarathon. The weekend prior is L'Tape cycling event.

There's around 12 hours of daylight in March, not 10. Not that I can see any reason why that should be an impediment. C2K has runners on the mountain for the best part of 24 hours.

2 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

Paul

thanks for that, just to convince the wife of a weekend in the Snowy Mountains and be good to go.

Were clip on aero bars on the roady useful or just dead weight?

I've raced in the NZ mountain area's so have plenty of respect for mountain area's, and the gear to go with the respect

Plenty of opportunities to get aero out there, although it isn't a course with stretches of sustained TTing.

I used my roadie with clip-ons but couldn't be arsed removing them for one race. I don't own a TT bike, so that wasn't even a consideration.

4 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

December is not an option.

Yes, the race has to be outside of school holidays for road safety reasons. School holidays start on the 16th December this year.

The weekend of 8-10 December is Coast to Kosciuszko Ultramarathon. The weekend prior is L'Tape cycling event.

There's around 12 hours of daylight in March, not 10. Not that I can see any reason why that should be an impediment. C2K has runners on the mountain for the best part of 24 hours.

Even though its technically at the start of the school holidays, I don't reckon that Jindy or Thredbo would be busy on the 17th of December. Just based on my experiences travelling through the week before Xmas on a few occasions. It's for that reason that I think its an option. As you point out - it doesnt clash with either the Coast to Kosci or the L'Tape.

One other option Paul - how about a Coast to Kosci Ultra triathlon? Swim on the south coats. Cycle to Jindy. Run to Charlotte's pass? Could be combined with your event??

1 hour ago, rory-dognz said:

looking seriously at this as something outside the normal.

For an 11hr Iron distance completer is the cut-offs achievable?

Also what gearing on the bike to make the hills best?

I go around 11 at IM and have made cut off each year. Finished in about 9:40 last year and I walked a lot of the run. 

Pretty sure I had compact cranks and a 28 on the back. Was comfortable spinning most of the way. 

Andrew, it's not a simple as saying there doesn't seem to be that much traffic. There is more traffic in school holidays (doesn't matter how much more) and Emo still has to convince the NSW Police that staging the event at a time of higher traffic volumes is safer than a lower traffic period. I wouldn't want to try to get that approval through the NSW Police's On-Road Events Dept.

Then there is increased accommodation costs, which while not critical, isn't helpful to the event's growth.

A point-to-point tri in conjunction with C2K? That's a logistical cluster****.

4 hours ago, Paul Every said:

F*** it.

Time to Bandit up a race then :D

(oh, and the week before E'Tape is Hartley, which means another ~150 cyclists riding up Charlotte's each day on that weekend)

On 20/09/2017 at 11:52 AM, Paul Every said:

Andrew, it's not a simple as saying there doesn't seem to be that much traffic. There is more traffic in school holidays (doesn't matter how much more) and Emo still has to convince the NSW Police that staging the event at a time of higher traffic volumes is safer than a lower traffic period. I wouldn't want to try to get that approval through the NSW Police's On-Road Events Dept.

Then there is increased accommodation costs, which while not critical, isn't helpful to the event's growth.

Accept your views on a C2K-triathlon combo being a clustercuss without question.

However - the week befiore xmas - I reckon that there is just about zero traffic around in the high country. On the occasions Ive been on those roads the week before festivus I reckon i saw half a dozen cars tops on the drive from Jindy to Thredbo, basically nothing on the other side of the range and very very light traffic on the Alpine Highway. It was almost 'post apocalyptic' - which is why I remembered it so much. That week really seems to be a real dead zone ... anyway,. That's my thoughts on the matter ...

from my schedule

December / January don't work due to work and family

Feb is MTB racing in Snowy mountains hopefully (events 9-11 feb and 24-25 feb)

March is great from a schedule view. 

Is the weather any more predictable/reliable in Dec to Feb over March?

Also from events in the area, there are a number of pre existing events that would clash eg 2 MTB races in Feb that i know of, March has Australian Schools MTB champs.

Addition of the two Ultra's may change the dynamic on the run slightly and hopefully provide additional income for the Elete to make it sustainable.

15 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

from my schedule

December / January don't work due to work and family

Feb is MTB racing in Snowy mountains hopefully (events 9-11 feb and 24-25 feb)

March is great from a schedule view. 

Is the weather any more predictable/reliable in Dec to Feb over March?

Also from events in the area, there are a number of pre existing events that would clash eg 2 MTB races in Feb that i know of, March has Australian Schools MTB champs.

Addition of the two Ultra's may change the dynamic on the run slightly and hopefully provide additional income for the Elete to make it sustainable.

Having the race in march is just stupid weather (safety)  wise and emo knows my thoughts on this 

las someone who lives in the hills I think I'm in a good spot to comment 

he/we got very lucky to get away with the weather on  day the first year when it was in mid march 

Early to mid feb Is perfect weather wise  and everything is quiet around then with school gone back , so seems a perfect time 

re your question of gearing there isn't any steep climbs on the whole course and as paul said plenty of spots to be aero