Rude Beef

Your 'hardest' race?

Rude Beef    36

I'm interested to hear what people think their hardest event/effort/race has been. The term is extremely subjective but I'd like to know what you think has taken your body and mind the furtherest away from your comfort zone. 

Considering that very few of my friends are involved in endurance sports it seems that a common line of thinking is that longer is harder, but even after 70.3, half maras, Olympics and sprint, I still claim that the most I've ever hurt was the first time I went sub20 at a Parkrun.  I'd like to think I've got other more impressive stats but that one really made me work.

What's yours?

Fitness Buddy    624

18 months of nerve pain from infection.  

Toughest weekend of training and playing was when training for tri and playing cricket. 

Saturday - 25km run then batting all day.

Sunday - 110km ride - then one day game, batting all 50 overs then wicket keeping 43 overs. Physically little sore.  Mentally stuffed.  

Edited by Fitness Buddy

RunBrettRun    1,363

10k bridge to brisbane.  Goal was sub 35 and ran 35.02.  Well and truly let an opportunity go that day.  The climb up the inner city bypass at 8k broke a lot of souls over the years.  That race still haunts me.

roxii    4,113

Mine was my marathon pb. 

It was the old "cities" marathon. Sydney to Blacktown straight along parramatta rd.

I ran with Big Chris to Parramatta then had to leave him to stay on 5min pace. 

About 10k to go it started raining torrentially, It was so heavy it was stinging your eyes. 

The race finished at the old athletic track. I was coming up the hill towards the track entrance gates, looked at my watch and thought I had a fair bit of time to spare to get home under the magical  3.30 and was feeling good. As I turned left into the athletics track there was a course Marshall standing there saying, "just once around the track and you are home" CRAP !!!

I still made it under 3.30 but it took me weeks to recover from that run and that's when it started to sink in that I was never gunna be a real good runner. 

• Like 6

goughy    2,146

Yeah, short hurts like hell. Probably the most I've physically hurt (when not from an injury) was at the brw, knowing how short it is and just redlining it without a break. Hurts like hell but shit was it fun. But mentally was easy knowing it wouldn't be for long.

As someone who's not fast, I have totally subscribed to the line the better the harder. Deciding to not stop at the last tour de tri was mentally and physically frying. But still the best thing I've done.

Mishca    12

Wollongong Olympic distance triathlon a few years back. Had a new bike setup which worked wonderfully for the bike, but my quads were shot when I tried to run. That was the hardest and most demoralising runs of my life. To top it off it was super hot. I walked about 3 times and basically gave up. Was disappointed in myself for that.

Greyman    317

After 30 something years of doing triathlon, running and other sporting events, it's hard to pick one. 

ashley_s    57

I would have to say Grafton to Inverell for me. To be in the hunt to podium in that race you have to get over the top of the climb. This means 50 min effort at FTP with surges above 2 hours into the race and once that is done you have 140kms to go. The difference of this type of race compared to Ironman is that you have very little control over effort. You can be hurting but if others want to push the pace you have to go with them otherwise race over and you can end up a long way behind.

• Like 2

Turts    1,966

Pulling out of the first (and so far only) race ive had to pull out of.

60 k into 100k run(TNF 16) and ross river fever and 12 weeks post knee surgery got the better of me. Was a tough decision to pull out

• Like 1

nealo    1,285

Did an Olympic distance  as a Tranny team with Heffalump, Will's wife (name escapes me) and I did the 10km.

Did it in 43.30 and have never hurt so much in my life. Km 6-10 was intense.

Unlike a Mara such as Roxii's once the race was done the pain was gone.

willie    637

My first mara. Way back when. Pissed as a fart on Thursday night (canberra used to have $1 drinks at uni pub thursday) and bet a mate I could win (edit race on sunday). leading for the first 25km (1.22 firest 21.1, 3.20ish total time). Took a wrong turn somewhere (offroad trail mara), added a few kms and ended up 3rd. The last 4km was done at just under 8min/km. 

I couldn't run or ride after. Took to swimming instead and did a couple of long ones later that year. I used to be fit :(

Edited by willie

monkie    174

Pathetically is was a 300m swim for the Corporate Triathlon Series. We were doing a relay entry and I had done a 70.3 a month before but hadn't been in the pool since, obviously thinking 300m was piddling and I would smash it. Led the pack out for the first 100m, made the turn at the buoy and cramped up. I forgot how to swim. Genuinely thought I was going to drown, had to wave at a Kayak for help and hold on and then limped through the rest of it unable to breathe. It was NASTY.

It was made especially hard as I was the "triathlete" of the team and felt I let my colleagues (who smashed the other two legs) down.

willie    637
12 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

the 2 hours I did on the bike yesterday in 49 degrees with 40% humidity. still shelled at 1pm next day. 

Farken hell. Literally. You win hardest by a mile. 

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874

I've done everything from Sprint Distance to IM at Kona, 1500m track events to Marathons, Cross Country, all distances in the pool up to 1500m, Crit racing through to multistage bike races, but absolutely nothing comes anywhere near the 100km TTT on the bike.

The original Brisbane Tri Club affiliated with CQ for a couple of years in the 80's, so we rode as a club. We entered the State TTT Champs one year and had an absolute ball. By 90km I was absolutely dying, and my legs were screaming. In any other race I could have eased slightly and come home as best as I could, but with 3 needing to finish (1 dropped off at 75km), and Fidler & Croft still riding hard, I've never hurt so much or dug so deep in my life.

• Like 3

Andrew #1    838
15 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I've done everything from Sprint Distance to IM at Kona, 1500m track events to Marathons, Cross Country, all distances in the pool up to 1500m, Crit racing through to multistage bike races, but absolutely nothing comes anywhere near the 100km TTT on the bike.

The original Brisbane Tri Club affiliated with CQ for a couple of years in the 80's, so we rode as a club. We entered the State TTT Champs one year and had an absolute ball. By 90km I was absolutely dying, and my legs were screaming. In any other race I could have eased slightly and come home as best as I could, but with 3 needing to finish (1 dropped off at 75km), and Fidler & Croft still riding hard, I've never hurt so much or dug so deep in my life.

Fidler. Croft. You poor poor fool! LOLS 

Naut    503

First marathon for me. Hadn't really trained for it and didn't know what was involved. Hit the wall at 32kms and thought it was all over. Was shocked to get my second wind and then started to lose control of my legs on St Kilda Rd.

Finished with shot legs and a scrambled brain, took 30mins + before I could even lie down without severe pain. There is video footage of me swearing never to do that again (did it the next year).

I think the hardest bit was I didn't understand that I could do it. Failure wasn't only an option but seemed the likely outcome

Edited by Naut

8 hours ago, Rude Beef said:

"....taken your body and mind the furtherest away from your comfort zone. "

1. Raising children;

2. 4.5 yrs of chronic dual knee pain & disability;

3. No race has come close - but sprints have hurt much more than longer races.

Edited by ComfortablyNumb

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874
1 hour ago, Andrew #1 said:

Fidler. Croft. You poor poor fool! LOLS 

And what really capped the day off, was as soon as we finished, they made me put running shoes on and head off at nearly race pace. We only went 500m till we were out of site, then we all sat down and moaned, but we had copped that much shit from the other cyclists before the race, we had to show them we could beat most of them at their game, then go for a run after.

• Like 4

zed    771
4 hours ago, Bored@work said:

All 4 x Busselton Ironman.  Brutal. 

Peter?

Slunnie    86
8 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

anywhere its below 10 degrees, wanaka, black mountain, orange

Lol, imagine living there/here!

IM for me when I did my pb. I was in some zone for the run that was far far away.

Edited by Slunnie
Illiterate

Bored@work    1,495
9 hours ago, zed said:

Peter?

He has only done it twice.  But nice nice try, I respect the effort. It's just as shame I won't get a chance to race Busso before it go's.  

10 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

anywhere its below 10 degrees, wanaka, black mountain, orange

You would have hated Lake Tahoe.

Cottoneyes    798

2007 Melbourne marathon, was tracking for a cracking time until I fell in a heap around the 34km mark.  Ended up limping home from there.  Race was on Sunday, Monday broke out in my first case of chicken pox at 32 years of age, found out later others that had attended a training course with me a week earlier all broke out around the same time (those of us who hadn't had it before)

Haven't done it since, am seriously considering going back to do it this year though