Sign in to follow this  
riceburner

dropper seatpost on a budget

looking for a dropper seatpost- no more than $200

seen brandx with internal cable $199

dnm external cable $149

even seen speed up lever (underseat) post for $120

-any recommendations, i usually only drop the seatpost  for long/technical downhills

Edited by riceburner

If you monitor the Facebook mtb buy and sell pages you will get something for that price rangr.

I picked up an internal routed 125mm giant dropper for $140 a few months back for the young fellas bike. I run the same post already.  

The brandx seems to get good reviews for a budget post. For an externally cabled post or one with a lever under the seat, you can't do better than the KS dropzone, or KS Eten.

2 hours ago, ptc said:

DNM seems to get very good reviews - a common comment is that you need to put a spring at the end of the cable and that mounting the release lever can be tricky if you are not running 1x. I'm thinking about putting one on my Anthem.

https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/dnm-mountain-bike-dropper-seatpost-remote-lockout/HQS-R

I run a dropper on the Felt Cross country bike, and it is great mine. is similar to the one shown

went and bought an RSP plummet post from the UK- $203 inc express post- external cable so i was able to set my bike up in 5 minutes- absolutely awesome - up/down works like magic.

So, following advice from the stack thread and from my lesson today, I'm looking into dropper post options.

Any updates here?

I've only just begun looking, $200 still seems entry level.

Edited by Tyno

Get a Brand x from Chain Reaction or Wiggle. Best bang for your buck and they rate really well. Don’t buy a Rockdhox reverb... they arr plagued with issues!

Any idea on the Giant droppers? ~$200 locally.

Also, say one comment on Wiggle about rider weight possibly being an issue? (110 kg + at the moment)

Not sure about the Giant dropper. The KS Dropzone are good if you want a lever under your seat.The KS Eten are questionable. My wife has a 27.2 ks post which has the same cartridge as the eten and we are on to the 3rd replacement cartridge and it's still not great!

17 hours ago, Tyno said:

Any idea on the Giant droppers? ~$200 locally.

Also, say one comment on Wiggle about rider weight possibly being an issue? (110 kg + at the moment)

they are good, my son has been using one for about 4 years

He even swapped out the one on his new bike 2 years ago for the giant one, that was how i got introduced to dropper as i got the removed one

There is a 200 buck and ~400 buck Giant one. My young bloke has intermittent issues with the cheaper one. I have nil with the more expensive one.

Giant dropper going in today - doing the more expensive one for ~250 fitted.

The cheaper one apparently only does internal routing, the more expensive has external, so that's what I had to go.

Giant bloke did say a few people have managed to bend the shaft on the cheaper one.

8 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Giant dropper going in today - doing the more expensive one for ~250 fitted.

The cheaper one apparently only does internal routing, the more expensive has external, so that's what I had to go.

Giant bloke did say a few people have managed to bend the shaft on the cheaper one.

Thanks, my son's was an external routed one, which he converted to internal when he moved it to the new bike from memory.

Now if you are running a 1 x set-up (no front derailleur), and you want to be fancy then the dropper leaver sits styled where the left hand shifter was.

$290 fitted in the end.

External routing with handlebar mounted switch.

Now to learn how to use it properly :)