FatPom

Tenby Long Course Weekend is here....

Andrew #1    838
3 hours ago, FatPom said:

Just tried 2 sets of 8min 'run'  2min walk. Went ok but I reckon I'm about 7min/km pace when I am running. If by some miracle I made it round, I'd likely miss the cut off for the 4th LCW Athlete medal ( would need to go sub 6hr).

and it's raining and I wish I'd brought some thinner socks.

this is a pre brekkie post, hopefully I will better about after filling my face :whistling:

Well done on what looks to be a brutal bike course. Best wishes for today.

cant believe this is a 'Normal' M-dot IM course and not some epic challenge course for crazies and old school tough nuts

FatPom    2,323

Finished! Don't ask me how or even if it was wise ( I've already had those convos with myself) but I got it done in 5.15.

I hadn't seen a profile of this course as it's different to IM Wales. if I had I wouldn't started,  it's very hilly. My 8/2 off strategy went out of the window almost straight away as there are so many people and the first 2 miles are around the narrow streets of Tenby, you can't walk even if you want to.

i listened to various people and the strategy of walking the hills seemed to popular. This is not an out and back course and the local wisdom was to save a lot for the second half it's it was heaps hillier than the first.

i found a running buddy taking things easy after about 4 miles and we ran/walked the rest together except for the last mile. He got the 'home stretch' energy and I let him go. We met at the finish. It was great to run with him, apparently we were approx 10.30min per mile but that must have blown out.

Body generally held together. Calf was fine in the end but I knew any faster would be trouble. Thought I had a blister at mile 6 but it didn't seem to get worse. Just had to keep a lid on everything. Weather was hot and humid. 

Crowds again were amazing and coming back into Tenby really lifted the spirits of a completely spent man!

i think over 1000 people entered as LCW Athletes and only 550 finished. I came 385th.

more later. Hopefully meeting Emo and the crew for a drink, then it's bed and drive home.

Start

IMG_0337.JPG

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 2

FatPom    2,323

Finish and medals. Sister has more of finish but I haven't got them yet.

IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 2

truck    240

Congrats on the finish. From crawling around on the floor to doing a marathon in 3 weeks is pretty good going!

FatPom    2,323
33 minutes ago, truck said:

Congrats on the finish. From crawling around on the floor to doing a marathon in 3 weeks is pretty good going!

Thanks mate. Felt like I was crawling around at the marathon as well :lol: this is after the 4th medal preso. Everyone was clanging around like a herd of Swiss cows! The finish chute gets lined with all LCW 4th medal winners and the overal top 3 male and female run all the way through us. It's pretty special.

Emo and his team got a walk through also as the newest members of the LCW family.

IMG_0354.JPG

• Like 3

Andrew #1    838

This is so bloody awesome. 

I don't usually going in for the 'inspirational' rah rah, but you have certainly got me fired up for Jervis Bay Long Course WE later this year!!

Congrats!

• Like 3

FatPom    2,323
3 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

I don't usually going in for the 'inspirational' rah rah, but you have certainly got me fired up for Jervis Bay Long Course WE later this year!!

Congrats!

Do it, you'll have a ball. Was talking to Emo last night and they're raring to go :)

• Like 1

Cape_Horn    176
3 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Congrats!

Yep - Same

I have been on and off about Jervis Bay LCW - But after reading through this over the last few days, I am thinking I am going to have to drive down to the coast... (Still not sure about 42km on the Sunday)

• Like 1

surfer101    194
5 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Congrats!

Same & same !

Emo    122

So our venture to the home of Long Course Weekend was above and beyond what we could imagine. Having raced in most of the iconic events in the world, TLC Wales was above them all. Very hard to replicate the culture and the volunteer support of this event with over 8000 athletes. 3 days of the toughest hills I have raced in with amazing weather and the town of Tenby is like a postcard. Lots of great new ideas to bring the Jervis Bay LCW to life in October 2018, and great to finally meet Fat Pom on the other side of the world. 

13627251_1186029581430749_8128907675875927187_n.jpg

• Like 4

monkie    174
18 hours ago, Cape_Horn said:

Yep - Same

I have been on and off about Jervis Bay LCW - But after reading through this over the last few days, I am thinking I am going to have to drive down to the coast... (Still not sure about 42km on the Sunday)

Ditto... want to do the swim and the bike as a confidence boost for target IM next year. I know I can run marathons though... BUT I really want the full medal! So probably gonna use it as a long Z2 training run!

• Like 1

Andrew #1    838
2 hours ago, monkie said:

Ditto... want to do the swim and the bike as a confidence boost for target IM next year. I know I can run marathons though... BUT I really want the full medal! So probably gonna use it as a long Z2 training run!

Yeah.

Im keen to get my swim back down below 1hr and really test myself on the bike.

I'm not sure what my strategy will be for the run. Given my day before decision to not start Cairns 70.3 this year I'm very keen on laying down a sub 6hr HIM this year & Callala Beach Ultimate is my target race. That's six weeks after Jervis Bay Long Course. At this stage I'm thinking of running the first two laps (28km) and then walking most of the last to get the medal (and still leaving the legs fresh enough to get away with 10 days recovery, before laying down about 3 weeks of specific HIM focused training and then having a 10 day taper leading into my target race.

Edited by Andrew #1

Emo    122
10 hours ago, Cape_Horn said:

Question for Emo - What is the run cutoff time for the mara at Jervis Bay?

How long will you need, I live local and they have great breakfast on Monday mornings at Husky ??

• Like 1

Emo    122
8 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Yeah.

Im keen to get my swim back down below 1hr and really test myself on the bike.

I'm not sure what my strategy will be for the run. Given my day before decision to not start Cairns 70.3 this year I'm very keen on laying down a sub 6hr HIM this year & Callala Beach Ultimate is my target race. That's six weeks after Jervis Bay Long Course. At this stage I'm thinking of running the first two laps (28km) and then walking most of the last to get the medal (and still leaving the legs fresh enough to get away with 10 days recovery, before laying down about 3 weeks of specific HIM focused training and then having a 10 day taper leading into my target race.

That last medal is amazing and ALL athletes will be called down the RED carpet and awarded this individually. 

• Like 1

FatPom    2,323
11 hours ago, monkie said:

:D That's the hook that really stings!

Go Easy    1,216
14 hours ago, Emo said:

So our venture to the home of Long Course Weekend was above and beyond what we could imagine. Having raced in most of the iconic events in the world, TLC Wales was above them all. Very hard to replicate the culture and the volunteer support of this event with over 8000 athletes. 3 days of the toughest hills I have raced in with amazing weather and the town of Tenby is like a postcard. Lots of great new ideas to bring the Jervis Bay LCW to life...

Righto, righto, knock it off Emo... I was just about retired!  The last thing I need is some bloody race director telling me about another event that I'm going to need to do before I pull the pin forever.

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:52 AM, Andrew #1 said:

Congrats!

Same, Same, Same!

When's the Jervis Bay LCW again?  And is there going to be a Trannie House there???

PS - Well done FP, that's exactly why love this sport so much. 

Cape_Horn    176
14 hours ago, Emo said:

How long will you need, I live local and they have great breakfast on Monday mornings at Husky ??

Current mara pb is 5h55m... (off the bike)

Aim would be ~5hours

• Like 1

Cape_Horn    176
13 hours ago, Go Easy said:

When's the Jervis Bay LCW again?  And is there going to be a Trannie House there???

PS - Well done FP, that's exactly why love this sport so much. 

27th-29th October

(And maybe?)

surfer101    194

Ive  checked the LCW details, seems the swim & run start in the same spot but the bike is a different location. Anyone have suggestions on the most convenient location for accomodation.

Andrew #1    838

Looks like I might be a non starter!!!

Have the opportunity to join my mates for a trip to Ethiopia in October. Depends on the dates. ...