superboy

Sagan at Fault?

ashley_s    57

Did Sagan hold his line? No.

Did the elbowing cause the crash? No he was already going down when Sagan threw out the elbow to give himself space.

Should he have been DQ? No, relegated yes but it was a racing incident.

• Like 2

Parkside    733

Sagan had no reason to change his line did he, apart from putting Cavendish into the barricade, he wasn't following a wheel from memory. The elbow was secondary to changing his line and made it look a lot worse.

• Like 1

RunBrettRun    1,363

I'm yet to see footage of him throwing out his elbow?  His arm clearly got hooked on cavs bars.

Parkside    733

Aerial shot looks worse for Sagan. He looks to veer right further than necessary to follow the french blokes wheel. I remember the full speed aeial looked the dodgiest, agree elbow is probably inconsequential

Aerial

Demare is lucky he didn't cause a fall, he was all over the shop worse than Sagan

Red jersey with brown chamois lucky to be upright

• Like 1

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874

Greipel going into the other guy in red probably has a lot to do with Cav's fall as well. That made Demare go so far right, which put them all on to the barrier.

And Griepel had the cheek to have a go at Sagan after the race.

PaperMan    338

He really went very far to the right though didn't he. Left Cav with nowhere to go but down. Elbow of no consequence. 

I don't really know the rules but it does look like a dangerous swerve to  lose the door that went badly wrong. 

Will miss Sagan on the tour anyway, just because he is funny. And Cav deserves total respect for being a gentleman about the whole thing. 

• Like 2

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874
9 hours ago, Parkside said:

Demare is lucky he didn't cause a fall, he was all over the shop worse than Sagan

How could they possibly DQ the French National Champion?

Greyman    317

Interesting close up footage posted on FB today by a few cycling clubs (Melb Uni cycle club was one of them). Footage shows Cav pushing up under Sagan going for a gap that wasn't there and in the process, Cav's drop hooks Sagans arm  and pulls his elbow out. 

No IP, I can't find a link to that one right now.

• Like 1

ironpo    2,839
8 hours ago, Greyman said:

No IP, I can't find a link to that one right now.

Why not 

it sounds interesting, and pretty much sums up what I reckon would have happened 

I don't think Sagan deliberately elbowed cav into the barriers , he's just nor t like that , it just looks like that's the way it happened in the vid 

Peter    1,611

This breaking overnight.

Press Releases | 06.07.2017

PRESS RELEASE regarding the exclusion of Peter Sagan from the Tour de France.

The Team and Peter Sagan, represented by their counsels Prof. Dr. Rainer Cherkeh (Hannover) and Dr. Maurice Courvoisier (Walder Wyss AG, Basel), have lodged an appeal with the CAS yesterday including an urgent motion to suspend the decision of the “Commissaires Panel” taken on late July 4, 2017 and confirmed by the President of the UCI.

The Team and Peter Sagan would like to reiterate their position that Peter Sagan did not cause, let alone deliberately, the fall of Mark Cavendish on the last 200m of the fourth stage on July 4, 2017. Peter Sagan stayed on his line and could not see Mark Cavendish on the right side.

Although the UCI CYCLING REGULATIONS provide unambiguously that it is mandatory to hear a rider before any disciplinary decision is taken (Rule 12.2.006: „The Commissaires Panel may judge the matter only if the offending party has had a chance to defend his point of view […]“), Peter Sagan has not been given an opportunity to explain to the „Commissaires Panel“ his point of view.

If the motion to suspend, on which the CAS will have to decide now, is granted, Peter Sagan will immediately re-engage in the Tour and, together with the team BORA – hansgrohe, compete for a successful Tour de France 2017.

BORA – hansgrohe 

RD Pro Cycling GmbH & Co. KG

ironpo    2,839
2 minutes ago, Peter said:

This breaking overnight.

Interesting times

Not surprised at this at all 

Peter    1,611

I can see their point but to let him back in with 500k less in his legs is unfair to everyone else now

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874
54 minutes ago, Peter said:

This breaking overnight.

This from Velonews.

CAS responded with a statement of its own: “The Court of Arbitration of Sport (CAS) issued a decision rejecting an urgent request for provisional measures filed by the Slovak cyclist Peter Sagan and the Denk Pro Cycling team in the afternoon of 5 July 2017.”

It appears that CAS has closed the book on the Sagan controversy. It concluded its short press statement by confirming that Sagan remains disqualified from the 2017 Tour de France.

Read more at http://www.velonews.com/2017/07/news/cas-rejects-bora-hansgrohe-appeal-sagan-expulsion_442938#49uaWkEj762wyKQI.99

Greyman    317

This will now open the door to litigation by Sagans team or sponsors. 

roxii    4,113

Don't know that demare is making many friends out there. 

Just finished watching last nights stage and he was all over the place, pissing a few other riders off and nearly Cav'd himself on the barriers and it's fair to say his fairly erratic sprinting contributed to the Cav Sagan crash. 

Rimmer    354

I reckon he threw the elbow, but I don't honestly know why he did this and don't think it was entirely intentional. There was nothing to be gained from the elbow throw and Cav probably shouldn't have been there either.

That said, they need to do a couple of things to clean up sprints: - 

1) Look at the barriers - if it's not their feet, it's a bulging foam barrier which ironically caused more damage here than it prevented;

2) Have those involved in the crash / incident involved with the jury - they need to be able to explain themselves;

3) Regulate what is to be considered a safe sprinting line - especially against the barriers - the same way that track sprinting is. If you're in breach and it doesn't come off, you accept the penalty from the comms / jury.

Wronggenes    134
2 hours ago, Greyman said:

This will now open the door to litigation by Sagans team or sponsors. 

How is that?  They lodged an appeal to CAS and were denied?

RunBrettRun    1,363

I guess time will tell.

Looking at the footage it looks pretty obvious that the elbow wasn't thrown but who know apart from the guys involved

goughy    2,146

Has it actually been said anywhere, that his elbow factored into their decision at all?  Sure, it's one of the things we've noticed...... but maybe they also discounted his elbow and it was something else he did?