skel

Running two marathons in five weeks.

Just seeking some advice.  Nejo ran at Gold Coast marathon on the weekend and he is looking to back up at the Townsville marathon, which is five weeks in between.  What would be the best way to recover and then reset for a second marathon.  He was using the Sydney Blackmores intermediate running program to train for Gold Coast. Thanks

This really depends on what effort is being used in the GCM.  Time is irrelevant as he may have used as training run or his best effort.  If he has pulled up really sore then the first two weeks should be low impact but IMO still rolling legs over either by DWR or some spinning on the bike.  

Make sure he is taking in extra protein initially as well to aid in recovery.  Hydration also through electrolytes not just water.  

In regards to training in the following weeks be something 

Week 1 - minimal - walking good idea

Week 2 - 1-2 runs plus x train

Week 3 - 3-4 runs (long run 2hrs)  + x train

Week 4 - 3-4 runs (long run 90min) + x train

Week 5 - 3-4 runs including race low volume 

Be sure to be doing some soft tissue work or getting massages if can afford.

That is my thoughts others may think this crap but that is there opinion.  Everyone is different and already said really depends on how you recover. 

• Like 4

Ran a 3:29 at near full effort (he thinks.....he's not too sure how to measure) :D

Ran 3:31 at TVL mart last years.

When I have done 2 this close, used something very similar to Fitness Buddies above.

One key thing is this week and next to move as much as possible but without intensity ie. walk and stretch.

Mental recovery can be harder, any training for the first 2-3 weeks needs to be a as want to rather than need to. Try and make it as interesting as possible. Otherwise the last 2 weeks of training is going to be real hard, and race day is not going to happen.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Everyone is different and already said really depends on how you recover. 

Fitness Buddy is spot on, everyone is different and sometimes you recover better than other times, depends on effort and damage done.  I'd still enter if keen, but would very much play it by ear closer to the event and see how he's feeling, you can do a lot of damaged to a fatigued body by going too hard too soon.  Just weigh up the cost v's benefits, then run accordingly.

What's the goal for the second Mara? Another pb; just for shits and giggles? If really wanting to go for it, may have to be aware that if things aren't going well, then that's ok and just back off and have fun with it. We're just normal mortals after all, not superfreaks!

Don't they say it takes 4-6 weeks to fully recover from a mara.

If he wants to do it maybe should run / walk it and have fun if possible. 

I wouldn't do it, but I'm soft

5 minutes ago, AP said:

Seriously Tyno - how many marathons have you run ? And how many times have you backed them up ?

Haven't backed up, AP, but I've run a few.

Best result I got was following a modified Higdon plan.

Did you even read the link or just feel the need to have a crack?

• Like 2

I think the Hal Higdon's plans and advice look pretty good.

I'm a bit late with my advice, with GC being 4 days ago, but the usual post-race recovery recommendations apply. Refuel and rehydrate, ice, stretch, try to keep active the following day.

I wouldn't be a slave to a program, listen to your body, particularly in the initial week or so. Incorporate increases in weekly mileage, long run distance and speed work as your body dictates.

When planning races with a short turn around, I lean toward racing the first at 100% and doing what you can with second. No point in doing the first half-arsed and possibly being fatigued, injured or sick at the second and not having either being a good race. If you're fit and ready for the first race, race it!

Of course, the ability to nail two solid races in a short time frame varies a lot between runners. Weekly mileage, consistency of training and the number of years of running in the legs are all big factors.

• Like 1

On 05/07/2017 at 1:31 PM, Clarkevitch said:

Don't they say it takes 4-6 weeks to fully recover from a mara.

If he wants to do it maybe should run / walk it and have fun if possible. 

I wouldn't do it, but I'm soft

...or race it and have as much fun as possible.

You don't need to be "fully recovered" to gain benefits from subsequent training and racing. Stressing the body in a controlled manner is where gains are made.

Life is short. Go for it.

• Like 2