Peter

Cross bike

Canyon or Focus at the upper end (Ridley if you want to go nuts) or Cannondale or Giant at the budget end.

I have a Focus Mares and it's awesome fun.

I had a Boardman cx pro.

aluminium frame so didn't have to be too precious about it, had avid cable discs, they were good enough without having to worry about whether or not I could maintain hydro. 

Theyvsre a stack of fun. I didn't have a MTb at the time and just found myself getting a bit too adventurous on it. 

Would buy the same again if I was in the market. 

• Like 1

the Flanders look great and I know a few people with Trek Boones that they like. A mate has more of a gravel bike, a 3T Exploro and that thing is awesome. I get serious bike envy everytime I see it.

• Like 1

I have a Focus Mares running 105, aluminium model with disc brakes. I use it for commuting, doing cx group rides and have raced it a couple of times. I'm doing it for a bit of fun and something different and I'm loving it.

• Like 1

Most people don't use them a huge amount and they get hammered in the cross races with mud etc. So I would go with a 1x mid spec bike unless you plan on using it a lot as a road bike as well (which I did for the first 18 months). I have the Trek Boone 9 with Di2, I think that was a bit over the top ! All the major brands should be fine, it comes down the personal preference, fit and what is on special with a nice colour. I would get the hydro brakes if you can.

• Like 1

Currently running a Spec Crux (Alu) - does double duty as a commuter and the sled that comes last at every CBR CX race...

My preference is Alloy, but that is because I would rather a cheaper commuter. TRP HY/RD brakes make an interesting mix, cable to the unit, then hydro for the calipers. full hydro would be nice, but... will wait until I need to rebuild the drivetrain.

By preference, get discs, and hydro. I sold my previous CX bikes for braking issues in the wet. (2010 BMC CX02, Avid Shorty Ultimates) - braking on the new bike is SO much better.

Looking at keeping it until I crash it properly, no reason to update it atm.

2 minutes ago, roxii said:

Hydraulic brakes

So this is different from Disc?

Some have cable actuated discs (cheap) some have hdyraulic discs (dearer but better braking) 

I have a Curve Grovel V2 - Sram 1x Hydraulic disc setup. Can fit massive tyres on it, including 650b 27inch mountain bike ones (currently has 40mm clincherS). Also has a heap of rack points for bike packing if I ever decide to do that. 

It's steel, but its awesome bike to ride on gravel trails. Have done single track on it. Also ave raced it in CX meets. And while it won't win me any races, people do love the look of it!!

hQBi727.jpg

47 minutes ago, Peter said:

Sorry whats hydro?

Its a disc brake system using hydraulic brakes rather than mechanical disc. Mech discs really suck.

Edited by dazmuzza

I alos think if you're racing it then cantilevers are totally fine. Disc means a bit more weight. Even the top CX pros still rock cantis on occasion.

4 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

I alos think if you're racing it then cantilevers are totally fine. Disc means a bit more weight. Even the top CX pros still rock cantis on occasion.

the emphasis I've added is the words " TOP CX PROS"

I mean really, what do the TOP PROS of the world and a CX newbie have in common?

not bloody much!

disc brakes, disc brakes, disc brakes.... even on a new roadie, if you're not racing for sheep stations, disc brakes.

• Like 1

Just now, AVAGO said:

the emphasis I've added is the words " TOP CX PROS"

I mean really, what do the TOP PROS of the world and a CX newbie have in common?

not bloody much!

disc brakes, disc brakes, disc brakes.... even on a new roadie, if you're not racing for sheep stations, disc brakes.

Problem with roadies is that its not just for sheepstaions, if you want to race at all you are not allowed discs. 

3 minutes ago, roxii said:

Problem with roadies is that its not just for sheepstaions, if you want to race at all you are not allowed discs. 

As with the rest of us who have ridden for the past many decades, I thought that there was really no way to improve the braking from current designed dual pivot brake callipers, and then at he start of this century, I started riding mountain bikes, with hydro brakes... wow, now that's what I call braking.... it has taken since then for me to get a roadie with disc brakes, and I'm not switching back in a hurry. if I ever feel the need to road race, the Teschner with DA brakes will get an airing. ( what am I thinking, that's not ever likely to happen )

But it really won't be that long till road racing for the masses allows discs.

back to the OP, I've been wondering if my Scott Solace ( endurance geometry ) bike with fatter tyres, maybe 32mm, would be CX suitable, in a newbie/mupty sort of way. If not, what else do newbies ride? mountain bike is my only other option.

I figure if rim brakes are good enough for Fabian Cancellerra, they're good enough for me. Van Aert, the CX world champ was more than happy to ride with cantilevers while racing. 

I have a bike with disc. It's nice and I like the increased braking power in the wet, but its a luxury really on certain bikes. But realy there aint any real problems with rim or cantilevers. They're brakes and they generally work well. 

Ideally, I'd want hydro disc, but I wouldn't turn down a great CX bike just because it didn't have disc brakes. 

10 minutes ago, AVAGO said:

back to the OP, I've been wondering if my Scott Solace ( endurance geometry ) bike with fatter tyres, maybe 32mm, would be CX suitable, in a newbie/mupty sort of way. If not, what else do newbies ride? mountain bike is my only other option.

Some A grade races only allow CX bikes with max 32mm tyres (certainly if you want to race in the national CX race). My local CX series permits some variations. Generally you can't enter mountain bikes in A grade races and are relegated to the C "come and try" races in the QLD CX series. 

Newbie scan race whatever they want in the come and try series in Queensland. 

Dazmuzza, thank you for the info re bike requirements in A Grade and other levels.

At almost 60 and  20 years + past my prime, and certainly 20 kg above my prime, the though of even racing in C Grade is enough to give me heart irregularities, and chest pains.. :-)

Good luck to all CXers and yes, whichever brakes the bike that you're riding has, you can be certain that they're plenty good enough.

1 hour ago, AVAGO said:

Dazmuzza, thank you for the info re bike requirements in A Grade and other levels.

At almost 60 and  20 years + past my prime, and certainly 20 kg above my prime, the though of even racing in C Grade is enough to give me heart irregularities, and chest pains.. :-)

Good luck to all CXers and yes, whichever brakes the bike that you're riding has, you can be certain that they're plenty good enough.

:) there's plenty of people in your demographic racing in C. Generally that grade is for people who just wnat to have a go and have a laugh and isn't super competitive. I jump between that and b grade depending on how I feel. Generally the CX community is pretty friendly - so I say have a go!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

:) there's plenty of people in your demographic racing in C. Generally that grade is for people who just wnat to have a go and have a laugh and isn't super competitive. I jump between that and b grade depending on how I feel. Generally the CX community is pretty friendly - so I say have a go!

I raced C grade down here in Vic (I'm 53), I'd only had my CX bike 2 weeks and only ridden it 3-4 times. Had a ball, as dazmuzza says the CX community is pretty friendly. I stacked it on a concrete corner and the guy I was racing for last place came back to check on me, along with a guy who was lapping us! I reckon jump in and have a go as well!

23 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

I figure if rim brakes are good enough for Fabian Cancellerra, they're good enough for me. Van Aert, the CX world champ was more than happy to ride with cantilevers while racing. 

I have a bike with disc. It's nice and I like the increased braking power in the wet, but its a luxury really on certain bikes. But realy there aint any real problems with rim or cantilevers. They're brakes and they generally work well. 

Ideally, I'd want hydro disc, but I wouldn't turn down a great CX bike just because it didn't have disc brakes. 

Some A grade races only allow CX bikes with max 32mm tyres (certainly if you want to race in the national CX race). My local CX series permits some variations. Generally you can't enter mountain bikes in A grade races and are relegated to the C "come and try" races in the QLD CX series. 

Newbie scan race whatever they want in the come and try series in Queensland. 

NSWCX seems to be MTB only in Cgrade

ACTCX is Agrade = CX only, B/C can use MTB's (technically, MTB is allowed in A grade but only on 33mm or less tyres)

On 7/10/2017 at 0:49 PM, Rocket Salad said:

I predict the upcoming Brisbane Valley Rail trail race (162km) will be won on a cross bike.

Yep, that race is made for it.