Sign in to follow this  
roxii

Hip Flexor issue

59 minutes ago, Parkside said:

if all you have is a hammer all you see is nails

Deleted most of your post. Thanks for all the run down.  I will keep the message locked away. Could come in good use for some training.

One thing i have learnt in the last five years that everyone responds differently to treatment, exercises etc. The key is to find the one that works whether science backs it up or not.   I use my self as a guinea pig with methods, clarify things with a trusted physio. 

I only ever state things that have worked from myself or others i have helped.  

I have helped several people in rehabilitation etc, they believed my bullshit (as you refer) yet they have got results and in some cases better then pre issue

One lady physio/sports doc for five years.  Did an assessment noticed a few things, applied a few exercises and now she running better than ever at 52. 

I dont take money from no one unless they get a positive outcome.  

However i have been to physios who have taken my money but have spun me bull shit diagnosis when in reality they didnt know what the problem was. 

You call me a bull shitter and a poor trainer all you like.  The most important thing to me is the people i help.  

2 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Because you only appreciate one version.  

There is a PM option on here so if not getting the outcomes you want use it

Not really sure what you are getting at. 

My injury history after 25+ years of triathlon is nothing more than a knotted calf, so I have no idea how to treat myself. I have no idea what trigger point is, nor how to do it or more importantly what to look for. I am trying to get on this asap so went to the quickest most convenient qualified option ( also recommended by two workmates) 

if she had of used, recommended and explained trigger point therapy (or even acupuncture or similar) I'd be open to it. As it is she gave me dome deep tissue massage, some roller exercises to do and I got some ( slight ) instant relief that I hope will improve. 

I believe the issue stems to some postural/ ergonomic issues at work coupled with greater than normal inactivity over the last 12-18 months, in the meantime I firstly want some pain relief and the ability to keep running, then we can work out what was causing it and how to prevent it happening again. 

Im happy to try most things but my natural leaning is to be a skeptic so I always gravitate towards science, proof and recognised qualifications. This is not to say you or others don't know what you are doing or believe your method is right or better, but you know how you hear those stories where people say " I tried all the conventional methods and nothing worked so then I tried *insert method/medicine x*.

well so far for me in life the conventional methods have served me well so that's where I go to. 

• Like 2

Fitness Buddy as usual you think I am aiming directly at you. I called therapeutic approaches BS as they are illogical and not supported by any sort of scientific data. Fixing a lady is nice but does not cut it. The longwinded post was aimed at all and sundry, Physios are some of the biggest consumers of guruism and BS going. Thoracic rings, functional integrative approach, muscle energy are some of the current fads/buzzwords going around. If you copied it, feel free to post it up, I had to log off before I finished editing and it got lost on my clipboard and I can't be arsed typing it out again.

tl:dr your hip flexors are behind your intestines. You can't "release" them unless you're dead or disembowelled. You can't diagnose lazy glutes, it's a bs copout

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Parkside said:

You can't diagnose lazy glutes, it's a bs copout

Wouldn't have a clue about any of this stuff (which is why I don't offer any advice on it) but out of interest, is this the same as 'your glutes are not firing...'?  As I've had a couple of different Physio's tell me that in the past.

I don't like being broken as I never know what to believe.

Bloody oath!

Isn't "not firing" the buzz phrase from the 2000's?

9 hours ago, Parkside said:

your hip flexors are behind your intestines. You can't "release" them unless you're dead or disembowelled. You can't diagnose lazy glutes, it's a bs copout

So when you go for a massage and they dig their fingers into the side of your belly just above your leg, beside the front bit of your hip that sticks out the most (iliac spine?), to 'release' the hip flexor, it's just causing pain for no reason?

• Like 1

Isn't that what all massage, in particular DTM, all about?  Sadists who like inflicting pain?  You know, like dentists?

On 05/07/2017 at 9:44 PM, Parkside said:

Lazy glutes, overactive blah blah is guesswork and woo. Ever met anyone who has appropriately firing glutes?

Haha

come on parky everything as well as world hunger is cause by my gluteus not firing 

cheers

ivp

• Like 1

Just back on this and it appears I’m well on the way to bring a “former triathlete”. 

Xrays and scans showed some issues that  won’t be going away anytime soon and even if I get pain relief then further running  of any substantial distance won’t be recommended.  🙁🙁🙁

off to a “sports dr” next to see what, if anything, can be done but the options don’t sound great. 

..... on the lighter side I walked out of the physio and immediately bumped into the poster boy for hip replacements “Jabba” 😀

...... anyone wanna buy some near new shoes.......... and a triathlon forum. 

Sorry to hear Roxii. I'd be really concerned because hip flexor issues also affect lawn bowls. That means two sports could be affected  :wheelchair:. Best of luck with "Sports Dr".

As for Jabbs, how about a rundown of what's happening on his side. I had a soft spot for him - he really looked after my cousin a few years ago when she was involved in a life threatening accident. 

FM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flanman said:

Sorry to hear Roxii. I'd be really concerned because hip flexor issues also affect lawn bowls. That means two sports could be affected  :wheelchair:. Best of luck with "Sports Dr".

As for Jabbs, how about a rundown of what's happening on his side. I had a soft spot for him - he really looked after my cousin a few years ago when she was involved in a life threatening accident. 

FM

Thanks mate.

Jabbs is doing "ok".

He is engaged now, and doing a lot of downhill mtb stuff, mainly down at Thredbo where he has a place. His son is doing well at it as well and already a sponsored rider.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mr Tinman said:

Glad to hear Jabba and Alex doing well.

Brings back memories of almost spewing up at RAW. Ahh, those were the days!

:lol: was wondering how you were too mate when driving back from the van yesterday.

hope you and the family are well mate. 

On 25/01/2018 at 2:04 PM, roxii said:

He is engaged now  AGAIN.

fixed that for you mate.

His not so little fella is a machine... He come flying past me at Thredbo no too long ago (but I'm a massive sook on downhill now)

Buggered. 

Osteoarthritis is the consensus.

sports Dr. seemed like he was keen for me to book in for a hip replacement ASAP. 

Ive now gone to PARKSIDE and doing some more rigorous rehab exercises and things are coming along a little 

I won’t run again, well I can but it will mean a hip replacement in a few years rather than in 10+ years if all goes well. 

So im no longer a runner, or a triathlete, and pretty bummed about it.

Hope your youngest has better luck. 

• Sad 1

I was naughty and during the one race before Xmas, my only race in about 2 years, I ran during the run leg.  Gee it's hard to run when you hadn't run a single step for 2 years.  My thinking was if I run in the very few races I actually do, how much harm could it do?

I sometimes am around by my levels of stupidity..... or persistence???

No, stupidity!

36 minutes ago, goughy said:

I was naughty and during the one race before Xmas, my only race in about 2 years, I ran during the run leg.  Gee it's hard to run when you hadn't run a single step for 2 years.  My thinking was if I run in the very few races I actually do, how much harm could it do?

No, stupidity!

Don’t worry I’ve contemplated the same as in realty it’s not running in a race that is going to hurt me it’s the training,,, but without training then there is no running in the race either. 

Oh well!! 

1 hour ago, goughy said:

No, stupidity!

37 minutes ago, roxii said:

Don’t worry I’ve contemplated the same as in realty it’s not running in a race that is going to hurt me it’s the training,,, but without training then there is no running in the race either. 

Oh well!! 

I know exactly what you mean, except I can't ride either, as the bone is rubbing every time the knee bends past a few degrees. I keep thinking about how I can get through 180km on the bike & then a 42km walk/run at Cairns next year without any training beforehand.

Then I give myself an uppercut for being so stupid.

Then the next day I think it again.

• Haha 4

The longer the race, the more the walking!  I figure something like a brw I could guts it out with mostly running with a little walking.  An od to half, 2min/1min run/walk (or is that walk/run!!!)  Anything longer is just walk.  We'll see what happens next season.

10 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I keep thinking about how I can get through 180km on the bike & then a 42km walk/run at Cairns next year without any training beforehand.

Then I give myself an uppercut for being so stupid.

Is our big Tranny get together in Cairns still on?  It seems to have dropped off the radar.

Do they, or any Ironman race in Oz, have team options?

The problem with a team is there's no one left who can do the run :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1