Sign in to follow this  
IronmanFoz

Tour de France Commentary

Ayto    347

Greg Lemond says cylicts no longer know how to race

After watching the stage last night and seeing Froome and Aru both run off the road after misjudging a corner, and then watching the rest of the peleton sit up and wait for them to catch up.................I have to agree with him.

Quickly losing interest in all things TDF.

roxii    4,113

I think we are now at the stage where it should be declared "gloves off" for all bike racing. 

Mechanical, nature breaks etc, all fair game. 

Imagine Bathurst if everyone let the leader catch up when he had a flat tyre and had to pit.

Yep sometimes it comes down to luck, but all the "sportsmanship" seems to be heavily weighted towards favouring the leader, noone else. 

• Like 1

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874

Agreed on those points. In last year's tour, while Froome was in yellow, one of his team, Stannard, crashed prior to a climb. Within a minute, Froome pulled over for a "nature break" so the whole peleton slowed, which allowed Stannard and the rest of the Sky team back on.

This was the same stage Froome tried running up the mountain in too.

This was the article on it last year.

http://www.velonews.com/2016/07/tour-de-france/froomes-abuse-of-yellow-was-movistars-missed-opportunity_414736

• Like 1

Rude Beef    36

But do we really want to see the tour won by Froome misjudging a corner and loosing touch with the group or do we want to see him blow up, Brownlee style, and get spat out the back of the GC group after Bardet and Aru attack and attack some more?

I thought last last nights final km was great and has made me reset my expectations of the coming mountain stages. Hanging out for a breakaway to make it too!

Edited by Rude Beef
  • Like 1

Tyno    1,366
1 hour ago, Rude Beef said:

But do we really want to see the tour won by Froome misjudging a corner and loosing touch with the group

We should wait for Richie to recover from his misjudging a corner too.

I mean, fair is fair, right?

• Like 1

pieman    403

Last year froome effectively won by smashing a downhill so i reckon he was fair game with this minor off..  

• Like 1

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874
2 hours ago, Rude Beef said:

I thought last last nights final km was great and has made me reset my expectations of the coming mountain stages. Hanging out for a breakaway to make it too!

That's the difference these days. In the Armstrong/Pantani/Indurain era, we'd have seen those guys going for it 5km out, or more.

That was excitement.

Tyno    1,366
6 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

we'd have seen those guys going for it 5km out, or more.

They just raced harder back in the day.... :D

Chuckie M    212

was that Ex pro cyclist and now pro triathlete Cam Wurf doing a gig for SBS?:D

Peter    1,611
2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

That's the difference these days. In the Armstrong/Pantani/Indurain era, we'd have seen those guys going for it 5km out, or more.

That was excitement.

They now know they can drop froome. I'd expect to see a further out attack in the near future. 

How much does he need to be in from of froome for the last individual time trial? 

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874

Exactly what we wanted to see last night. An attack by a real contender (even if he is doing the dirty on his captain) halfway through the stage, then another attack by another contender early on the last climb. Contador fought like a man 10 years younger, and a Frenchman won the stage.

So, is Landa doing a Froome, and trying to beat his captain, or was he up the road as a safety valve in case Froome cracked and they needed a 2nd option? He was certainly pulling turns, so he was working for the win. It would have been interesting if they'd held the 2:40 gap to the end and he moved on to the podium,.

Chuckie M    212
12 hours ago, Chuckie M said:

What ever happened to Anthony "The Tan man" Tan for His expert opinions?:huh:

Rude Beef    36
18 hours ago, Tyno said:

We should wait for Richie to recover from his misjudging a corner too.

I mean, fair is fair, right?

And this is the point! Not a person out there, even Sky fans, wanted to see Porte's tour decided by his error. It's sucks not seeing him have a chance to see if he could stick with and beat the GC guys. No doubt once Froome is atop the podium in Paris (?) there will be questions as to whether Porte could've beaten him if he didn't miss that corner. 

If Bolt slips at the start then I reckon that De Grasse or whoever wins would have that niggle of "maybe I wasn't the best out there?" In the back of their mind. The fact that the tour is run over 3 weeks instead of 10 seconds gives the event the chance to (mostly) get rid of that thought and crown the fastest/strongest rider of the event. That's mostly due to the gentlemen's aggrement in place.

Waza    59
3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Exactly what we wanted to see last night. An attack by a real contender (even if he is doing the dirty on his captain) halfway through the stage, then another attack by another contender early on the last climb. Contador fought like a man 10 years younger, and a Frenchman won the stage.

So, is Landa doing a Froome, and trying to beat his captain, or was he up the road as a safety valve in case Froome cracked and they needed a 2nd option? He was certainly pulling turns, so he was working for the win. It would have been interesting if they'd held the 2:40 gap to the end and he moved on to the podium,.

I'd say the Landa Sky plan had numerous advantages, put Landa into GC contention for future stage 'two prong attacks', have him up the road to assist with a possible Froome attack, but primarily I'd say it was to put pressure on the other team's domestiques to respond which is what it did up the last climb with AG2R and Cannondale going to the front.

I don't think Landa is trying to beat Froome but having in GC contention is a good insurance policy if something goes wrong with Froome.

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874

And this is the point! Not a person out there, even Sky fans, wanted to see Porte's tour decided by his error. It's sucks not seeing him have a chance to see if he could stick with and beat the GC guys. No doubt once Froome is atop the podium in Paris (?) there will be questions as to whether Porte could've beaten him if he didn't miss that corner. 

If Bolt slips at the start then I reckon that De Grasse or whoever wins would have that niggle of "maybe I wasn't the best out there?" In the back of their mind. The fact that the tour is run over 3 weeks instead of 10 seconds gives the event the chance to (mostly) get rid of that thought and crown the fastest/strongest rider of the event. That's mostly due to the gentlemen's aggrement in place.

But it's wrong that it's only the yellow that they do this for. If the guy coming 2nd decided to have a pee on the side of the road because one of his team-mates had fallen off, do you think the rest of the peleton would have stopped & waited?

Go Easy    1,216

If Bolt slips at the start then I reckon that De Grasse or whoever wins would have that niggle of "maybe I wasn't the best out there?" In the back of their mind...

Agreed, I know exactly what you are talking about.  A couple of weeks ago I was fortunate enough to win my Age Category at a fairly popular Trail Half Marathon run.  I thought I'd won it fair and square then in the post race write up the race director gives me a plug for winning the Age Group but goes on to say 'spare a thought for the defending champion and age group record holder who swapped his shirt just before the start and forgot to change his bib with his timing chip onto his new shirt so didn't get a time recorded...'  Now I've got this massively hollow feeling that maybe I wasn't the quickest on the on course on the day, or maybe I was.  It definitely feels like a shallow victory either way.

Slowman    238

I agree with LemonD only as far as if the racing has begun for the stage in earnest then I think it is too late for that kind of etiquette due to practicality more than anything.

However, his whole premise is illogical, he says they have forgotten how to race because they are racing using etiquette that has been around forever, including when Lemond was racing. What he actually wants is for them to forget etiquette by the sound of it. Lemond is just being controversial to somehow remain relevant to the cycling scene today and get more gigs and boost circulation for the media that employs him.

On the score of according the yellow jersey some respect and not attacking when there is a crash, mechanical, wee break, and so on, I think it is fair enough as the yellow jersey will generally have to defend against more attacks than anyone else. I think it strikes a fair balance and ensures a contest of strength and tactics rather than luck or misfortune as much as possible.

Peter    1,611
9 hours ago, Chuckie M said:

What ever happened to Anthony "The Tan man" Tan for His expert opinions?:huh:

Not asian enough for SBS?

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1

roxii    4,113

Anthony is still doing "tan lines" sure it's on the sbs website 

Dave T    98

TrollDJ strikes again: Warren Zevon's " Werewolves of London "

"Aruuuuuuuuuuu,( dum dum dum dummm) Aruuuuuuuuuu"

Love it.

Chuckie M    212
On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 7:44 PM, Chuckie M said:

I was correct it was Him after his 7th at Ironman Cairns, he is racing Ironman France in Nice shortly. He was in the area..:D:D

FatPom    2,321

ITV4 have David Millar as one of their commentators and despite being Scottish and a drug cheat, he does an excellent job. Interestingly the other day, he was saying that this whole 'race etiquette' thing is relatively new and it's the fans that think it goes back eons but in the peloton it's a different story.

Mike Honcho    214

I reckon it's been the most watchable Tour since Armstrong dominance. I've been watching on NBC sport network and Paul and Phil have Chris VdV and Jens. It's actually been really good.