Sign in to follow this  
IronmanFoz

Tour de France Commentary

IronmanFoz    664

Stage 1 - Individual TT

Porte rides conservatively..... 35 seconds behind Froome. Is his tour over already. Discuss.

Kenneth    123

Sky also had 3 or 4 in the top 10. They'll be able to limit any potential losses in the mountains. It's going to be tough

Peter    1,611
1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

Oh...And Give me Paul Sherwin and Phil Ligget any day......

it was  TT.  near impossible to make sound exciting.

My tipping going well.  I didn't have Valverde in my team.  Thank god.

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874

My biggest disappointment with the commentary, though admittedly they are constrained by the pictures they are provided, is that you wouldn't have known Chaves or Durbridge were racing. One  is being talked up as a podium contender and the other talked up as a stage chance.

Youngy2    92

Stage 1 at Dusseldorf .

Very cold and pouring rain periodically all day.

When you thought it might clear down came more rain.

The crowds were amazing - so many people came out. We rode 7 km to get to the finish line on hire bikes, and we were around that area.

We never seen the carnival procession before - some drove that fast throwing free stuff out - it could have been projectiles. Good to see.

Those riders were so fast as they rode past - it was a flash - and that was just past the finishing line.

We watched a lot on the big screen but they didn't show some of the Australians start or ride during their TT.

• Like 2

FatPom    2,321

Started to watch in Eurosport with commentary by the much maligned Carlton Kirby (but still heaps better than than Duffers, RIP) and the incomprehensible and predictable mumblings of Sean Kelly. That pairing I can live with,,just. After about 90 mins they switched over to Rob 'I lived in Italy for two years so must over pronounce every foreign sounding name until viewers want to smash their tv' Hatch and. That was the final straw.

Switched over to ITV4 with Ned Boulting and David Millar which, hard as it is for an Englishman to prefer a Scot for anything in the world, it was shed load better so I'm sticking with them for this year. Pre show by Boardman and Imlach with Daniel Friebe on course.

'Ouch' for Valverde!

• Like 2

roxii    4,113

Not a fan of the BMC skin suit, made Richie look like he was riding in a g-string.

maybe he has jumped on board with orica's 80's theme and wearing 80's women's gym attire with the g banger over the tights 

• Like 1

ironpo    2,839
2 hours ago, FatPom said:

Started to watch in Eurosport with commentary by the much maligned Carlton Kirby (but still heaps better than than Duffers, RIP) and the incomprehensible and predictable mumblings of Sean Kelly. That pairing I can live with,,just. After about 90 mins they switched over to Rob 'I lived in Italy for two years so must over pronounce every foreign sounding name until viewers want to smash their tv' Hatch and. That was the final straw.

Switched over to ITV4 with Ned Boulting and David Millar which, hard as it is for an Englishman to prefer a Scot for anything in the world, it was shed load better so I'm sticking with them for this year. Pre show by Boardman and Imlach with Daniel Friebe on course.

'Ouch' for Valverde!

So much choice , amazing 

it would be worth while going to Europe for July just to watch the tour at a decent hour with choice of commentary 

FatPom    2,321
12 minutes ago, ironpo said:

So much choice , amazing 

it would be worth while going to Europe for July just to watch the tour at a decent hour with choice of commentary 

Indeed we have great choices here and certainly a 'first world problem' when are able to whine about the differences in offerings.

We have pretty much every major race all stages live either on Eurosport or ITV4 or even the new BIKE channel is doing some lessor known ones. We have coverage of national domestic crits, RRs, mtbing live, women's races and even a series just for sportives. Plus of course every major track cycling events.

its hard to convey how popular it is here, they keep saying it's on the wane but little evidence of it. Ironically if anything, TTing the sport the discipline that the U.K. truly excel at, is losing ground. A combination of events getting harder to get into ( qualifying times) and less 'fast courses' around due to road furniture and traffic.

we are poor cousins compared to the cycling culture and open space on offer in old Europe for sure but when I think about returning to Oz, I do question whether I would even ride at all.

its very easy to forget how 'good' we have it here, both in participation and coverage.

• Like 1

FatPom    2,321
4 minutes ago, TenPints said:

Welshman in Yellow, all that needs to be said!

If only they had fields of daffodils in France, rather than sunflowersB)

TenPints    769
1 minute ago, FatPom said:

If only they had fields of daffodils in France, rather than sunflowersB)

LoL! If only...

Chuckie M    212

I know and do appreciate that Matt and Robbie are being a bit wacky, zany and random at times.. some of the comments are a test to see if you are paying attention and not playing with your phone. They should switch to Phil and Paul  after midnight to help me sleep better with the TV on....;)

Slowman    238
On 02/07/2017 at 7:46 PM, roxii said:

Not a fan of the BMC skin suit, made Richie look like he was riding in a g-string.

maybe he has jumped on board with orica's 80's theme and wearing 80's women's gym attire with the g banger over the tights 

I'm glad they have to wear helmets - how many boy band haircuts are there this year?

Youngy2    92

We are watching on Eurosport 1 but has German commentary-- which we don't really understand - except when they say the names of some of the riders 

ashley_s    57

Got to say I am loving Lances's daily recap "stages". Good insight and  revealing some good insights into the race. Yeah yeah drug cheat, prick ..........

Greyman    317

Yeah Ashley, I agree. It's not a bad listen. 

ironpo    2,839
1 hour ago, ashley_s said:

Got to say I am loving Lances's daily recap "stages". Good insight and  revealing some good insights into the race. Yeah yeah drug cheat, prick ..........

Got a link please

Chuckie M    212

I really miss Phil and Paul calling riders like Greg Van Avermaet a beast of a rider on a beast of a climb. :walkman:

Greyman    317

You can also access Lances podcast via his FB page. 

Chuck, I also miss PHIL and Paul.

week 1 nearly finished and no "open the suitcase of courage" yet. 

Edited by Greyman