deano646

Madone 9 - search for aero bars

Just picked up this beauty and wanted to find some way to hook it up with aero bars.  After riding this it would be hard jumping on a TT bike unless I had spent $20k on it!

Has anyone come up with a solution to this issue as yet?

I'm sure Trek doesn't want to do it because who would buy a Speedconcept then?

IMG_2739.JPG

• Like 2

It's the perfect road bike IMO having tested one for a week early this year. I haven't bought one but would love to and have also looked in to how to rig up some aerobars if you really had to. Didn't find any answers apart from getting some clamps custom made to fit the aero shaped handle bars. Seems a shame to add any bars at all but there is defo a need for draft legal tris.

Yes

i have also looked into putting aero bars onto this thing but all to no avail 

atwsome me bike and I would build it into a TT rig in 5 mins if I could 

• Like 1

There have been some threads on slow twitch about it, but I don't think there was a great solution. I bought the venge vias as they make custom aerobar to fit on the stem for that model. But I doubt it would work on a madone. 

If only Trek could come up with something like this for the Madone. If the bars were extendable and detachable, they'd have the perfect bike for road, ITU and ironman.

102768-largest_AnneHaugBike6_zpshgcdmohp

Haero Carbon cockpit with a Ritchey WCS 4Axis stem

I saw Annie Haug earlier in the year on a training camp and she was still on Canyon but had these little custom made clip-on bars on her road bike - you can just make them out in the below pic. The clamps were custom made. Looked very uncomfortable without elbow pads but I guess in Rio the course didn't allow for extended periods of time on the aerobars. Nicola Spirig has similar but tapes a wad of foam on top of the bars to rest her elbows on.

Screen%20Shot%202017-06-30%20at%2012.27.

Edited by The Customer

Was taking to someone in the industry today and we were wondering why someone hasn't yet brought out a road/ tri bike in kit form that would include an aero road bike and compatible extensions including bar end shifters and the appropriate junction boxes etc. 

would be something I'd look at buying.

• Like 2

Would also need a reversible seat mast so that you could race ITU road bike legal OR change to a really aggressive TT position for Ironman. You'd probably need at least 2 stem length options too.

Was looking st something like the felt ar road bike which has a reversible seat post. 

Although I wouldn't be too surprised if aero bars of any sort were banned eventually. They are cracking down on people having their hands off the hoods in road racing (you know where they get in an aero position mimicking having aero bars) so given itu take their lead from cycling I'd say it won't be long 

I wish they would in a way. I've been participating in some local ITU style draft legal races this year and trying to TT on a little road bike with short clip-ons is a sure-fire way to jam your hip flexors up. Nothing nice about it all.

My venge vias does the above. With etap it is easy to add tt shifting although I have not done it yet, but will update when I do. I tested the position on it quite a bit before selling my tt bike. I find the position quite good by just sliding the saddle forward. I will consider the zero offset post they make for it with a tt specific saddle that may be comfortable on the nose to ride. But I don't think I am going to need it for shorter races which is all I do now. The cheaper option would be a giant propel which is what my wife uses. Being di2 she could add tt shifters easily. But given we only do a couple of races each year for fun I have not seen the point.  

• Like 1

Looks like I will be searching for a 3D printer or a engineering workshop that will be bothered to make something up for me.  If I come up with something there might be a market for it..........

I still don't think it would be advised to clip them onto the Madone bars if that was your plan. 

19 hours ago, deano646 said:

Looks like I will be searching for a 3D printer or a engineering workshop that will be bothered to make something up for me.  If I come up with something there might be a market for it..........

There won't be. The shape of the bars and the way the carbon layup has been done, you're more likely to end up with complete failure then a winning product. There's a reason trek haven't come up with a $600 solution yet. Can't be done on those bars. 

19 hours ago, deano646 said:

If I  were going down the 3d printing one off road Id be looking at making an integrated spacer/ tt bar extension. Make the bars a  bit like the deda ones. Or maybe even get these ones and make a modified bracket that takes these extensions and replaces a few of your spacers. 

10 hours ago, Blacky said:

I still don't think it would be advised to clip them onto the Madone bars if that was your plan. 

Care to elaborate on why?

41 minutes ago, willie said:

There won't be. The shape of the bars and the way the carbon layup has been done, you're more likely to end up with complete failure then a winning product. There's a reason trek haven't come up with a $600 solution yet. Can't be done on those bars. 

Don't know why.  If the bars can tolerate arms being placed on top of the bars then why cant they tolerate a mount that more evenly spreads the weight of your arms across the bars?  Given the shape of the bars the mount doesn't need to clamp down tight as it isn't going to move, just needs to clamp enough so the aero bars don't slip sideways.  Do you have some technical knowledge of the carbon layup?  You can get aero bars for the S-Works Venge which is a similar setup.

There are lots of bars that do not recommend attaching clip ons to them. 

Carbon fibre is a strange beast. It can be made to be as strong as steel as long as pressure is applied in the direction that the fibres are laid to withstand. 

A clamp "pinching" the bars may be just a little bit of pressure (if the clamps are machined 100% precisely) but could be in all the wrong places or directions. 

Top tubes are a classic example, very strong in tension and compression, but swing the bars around too far or watch it fall over and land on a cafe chair and it can be cracked quite easily. 

As i mentioned above get something  like this and fettle a bracket that replaces a spacer or two and then interfaces with the bars. lemondka-deda-clip-black-carbon-26.jpg

• Like 1

I just got this in my email. Not sure what it means bit there is talk about aid aero bars under the madone section ...

http://www.yellowjersey.com.au/news/2018-BIKES-ARE-HERE.htm

TREK MAE 9.0

RRP $5,499.00

Madone 9.0 has the same best-in-class characteristics as Madone 9 Series.
The key difference is found in the handlebar and cockpit area. Instead of using the Madone Bar-Stem Combo, Madone 9.0 features a Bontrager Race Lite Aero VR-CF 31.8 mm handlebar.

The new handlebar accepts aero extensions.
Yes, if you have a Trek Madone 9 series already, you can buy the Madone Non-Integrated Handlebar Headset Spacer Kit for $119.00 to fit to handlebars and add aero bars.
It is easier to swap out traditional handlebars to your preferred bar and less expensive than the Madone Bar Stem Combo.

58 minutes ago, pieman said:

I just got this in my email. Not sure what it means bit there is talk about aid aero bars under the madone section ...

http://www.yellowjersey.com.au/news/2018-BIKES-ARE-HERE.htm

Love your work pieman.  Wont be as beautiful as the integrated bars but will work nicely.  There are some pictures on the Trek US website:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road/madone/madone-9-0/p/1474000-2018/