Ex-Hasbeen

Tour de France Tipping Contest

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874

I'm still in last place in this league, but at least I've now moved out of the last 2,000 in the competition.

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874

Without Sagan in the race, Bling has shown he's the man to beat on the short uphill finishes. He really did make this one look easy last night.

With the win last night he creeps within 100 points of Kittel. Realistically his only chance is for Kittel to miss a time cut, but if the breakaway isn't too big tonight he should be able to get over the first climb tonight and pick up some points (I imagine his team will pushing the pace just enough to drop the other sprinters on the CAT1 climb). It's probably too much to expect for him to get over the rest of the climbs with the leaders. With only 2 more sprint stages before the final day, one would have to say the jersey is Kittels to lose.

It's a pity Sunweb don't have a rider in top 10 contention so they could push the pace hard enough to put Kittel in danger of missing the cut. Barguil is just too far behind.

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874

Matthews just made it 2 wins from 3 stages, and with wins in Intermediate stages, he's made up 109 points. Now just 29 points behind, he's still only an outside chance, but he's certainly not going to let up now. He probably has to assume Kittel will win the last day, so we can expect a hectic start to tonight's stage, with Sunweb again trying to distance Kittel for Matthews to take the Intermediate Sprint before the big climbs.

And in another positive note, I've started my run in to the finish, moving from the bottom of the field for the first time since stage 4. Thanks guys.

• Like 2

Naut    503

This year really demonstrates the value of the Green jersey competition to the overall race. What could have been a relatively boring stage last night, turned into a full gas smashfest.

roxii    4,113

What happened to our Colombian Kangaroo Chabes?  Don't know that I've heard his name mentioned all tour?? 

• Like 1

Naut    503

He is coming back from injury. Carrying no expectations from the team, but I think everyone is a bit surprised at just how bad his form is.

roxii    4,113
7 minutes ago, Naut said:

He is coming back from injury. Carrying no expectations from the team, but I think everyone is a bit surprised at just how bad his form is.

Thankfully Yates is doing something otherwise it woudl have been a pretty poor tour for the team.

Seems Gerrans might have been a better choice after all.

Slowman    238

I put him on my team; that's the problem! I had hoped between him, Porte and Maijka I'd get some points in the mountains. He hasn't crashed out but it's as though he's not there. Maybe he'll earn some points for his new boy band hairstyle.

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874
4 hours ago, roxii said:

What happened to our Colombian Kangaroo Chabes?  Don't know that I've heard his name mentioned all tour?? 

He scored 5 points last night. That's a total of 5 points I have from the 3 Orica riders in my team.

Peter    1,611

That other Aussie George Bennett is out now too.

Glad I only put money on Froome to win and nothing else.

FFS This tour is harder to pick than a broken nose

AA7    1,001

Can any of you smart cookies estimate what time the exciting climbing action will be on tonight? Cant stay awake the whole time.

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874

It's on like donkey kong already.

There's a CAT2 climb before the intermediate sprint, so Sunweb took off straight away. There was a large bingle in the peleton, but they'd already gone, so didn't slow. Kittel came off, so is way back. This could be the chance Sunweb have to make him miss the time cut. 

It could be a very fast stage.

Peter    1,611
23 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Can any of you smart cookies estimate what time the exciting climbing action will be on tonight? Cant stay awake the whole time.

Yeah now. 

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874

Doing the hypothetical now:

Matthews is 9 points behind Kittel. Neither will take anymore points today.

Tomorrow is relatively flat before the Intermediate Sprint, with only a CAT3 climb, so Kittel will probably be there, and take a couple more points lead.

Friday's "flat" stage sees 2 x CAT 3 before a seriously uphill Intermediate Sprint" so Matthews should win that one, and if the Yellow is still in dispute, there could be mayhem on the final climb, and no sprinters make the points at the end.

It could be all down to the last day, with Kittel expected to win, and only a few points between them. Be nice to see another Aussie take the Green Jersey.

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874

Kittel has just abandoned. Although they all say they'd rather win by beating the best there is, Matthews has made hay while the sun shone with Sagan out early. Looks like a Green Jersey coming to a 3rd Aussie.

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874

Matthews just needs 1 more point, or ensure Greipel doesn't win all the intermediate sprints, and the 2 x non-alpine finishes, and he has the green Jersey wrapped up. He has 160 points lead, and with 3 x Intermediate Sprints, and 2 x flat finishes, that's how many points there are left (disregarding the Mountaintop tonight and the ITT on Saturday).

I'd say we won't see the fireworks from Sunweb anymore, and they can concentrate on getting Barguil into an early break to try to wrap up the Polka-dot.

Peter    1,611

Greipel still for the final stage for my money. 

Last night winner previous sporting life. 

roxii    4,113

Speaking of bad crashes, did you hear this line from a Paralympian on Richies Crash?

• Like 2

FatPom    2,321
On 19/07/2017 at 5:27 AM, roxii said:

Thankfully Yates is doing something otherwise it woudl have been a pretty poor tour for the team.

Seems Gerrans might have been a better choice after all.

Takes a Pommie to pull you lot out of the shit :lol:

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874
4 hours ago, FatPom said:

Takes a Pommie to pull you lot out of the shit :lol:

Only one in the top 80 though.

FatPom    2,321
39 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Only one in the top 80 though.

That makes it even worse!

Edited by FatPom