Ex-Hasbeen

Tour de France Tipping Contest

Ex-Hasbeen    3,875
25 minutes ago, roxii said:

Yeah it was unfortunate but I think Cav was shooting for a hole that eventually wasnt there.

Image may contain: one or more people and bicycle

FatPom    2,323
1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

OK, I may be biased, but I just had a frame by frame look at the incident. The elbow comes out after they made contact. Cav was already well & truly on his way down by the time it gets out to a noticeable point. But I can't imagine that wasn't brought up in the discussions before the decision.

You, biased against Poms? I will not hear of such madness  :whistling:

Dumare is clearly the villain here, lousy frogs :lol:

Edited by FatPom

Peter    1,612
4 hours ago, Kenneth said:

I'm cursed. 

sucker....

2 hours ago, roxii said:

Yeah it was unfortunate but I think Cav was shooting for a hole that eventually wasnt there.

That's what robbie has said too.  Having said that he agrees with the DQ.

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/video/983158339921/TDF-2017-Robbie-McEwen-analyses-the-Sagan-Cavendis

-H-    618
3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Image may contain: one or more people and bicycle

But if you watch the video, Cav was there before Sagan was.  Not saying Cav was in the best place, but it didn't look to me like he was trying to squeeze between Sagan and the barriers.

roxii    4,116

I think if Sagan was on his own leading the sprint he would have been reasonably done for moving off his line but as he was following a wheel I doubt he was even aware Cav was there till Cav's head hit his hip 

-H-    618

Was Sagan following a wheel?  I thought he moved a long way across to try and get past, but Cavendish was already there.

roxii    4,116

They were both trying to follow Demare's wheel. Sagan was a bit further forward so probably felt he has more right to it or a better chance of getting on.  Or given all the noise, cheering, and gong flat knacker and breathing through your ears, he may not have even known Cav was there. 

They don't have to give room, if they are both trying for the same wheel they need to fight for it. 

Robbie agrees with me Ill take that, he was a pretty brave sprinter having to do a lot f his work chasing wheels as he didn't have much team support in the sprints. 

Peter    1,612

The slow mo of the video shows that Sagans elbow doesn't touch cav. 

No dq in my books. 

Buggeracup    133

FFS, Cav has caused more pile ups in his career than anyone else in history. When he's on the wrong side of the ledger he's not happy. The real culprit was Demare who swerves aggressively, causing Bouhani to almost crash which causes Sagan to go further right which closes the (half) gap that Cav was aiming for. I thought the elbow comes out after the fall has started and is a natural reaction to him trying to regain his balance.

Oh, but let's not forget that Demare is French, so obviously he can't be in the wrong!

Also note that I had Sagan in my Velogames team! ???

Buggeracup    133
On 4 July 2017 at 5:48 PM, Buggeracup said:

Sagan and Dan Martin are doing all the damage for me so far. Got a few chances for breakaway wins once we hit some hills as well. Well placed at the moment.

Clearly I spoke too early about the good work Sagan was doing for me!!!

more good points from Martin today though.

tortoise    829

Finish lines should be free of overhanging trees.  It's almost impossible to see the whole incident on the overheads. 

Go Easy    1,216
21 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

A lot of the value of these stages will depend upon how the GC is panning out. The first 2 are likely to be good, but the 3rd will be a blinder if the GC riders are still close. With an ITT 2 days later as the 2nd last stage and the only other chance to change the GC standings, they'll either be defending or attacking. Hopefully the latter.

Excellent, thanks Ex, great info & much appreciated.  You'd think they'd be more considerate and put the best mountain stages on a Friday or Saturday night so that we can stay up late and watch it without having to get up early the next morning to go to work etc, but so be it.

I agree, that 3rd Mountain Stage up the Col d'lzoard should be a cracker!!

Peter    1,612

I'm so shit at tipping

Overall Rank: 40583 of 54711

Ex-Hasbeen    3,875
56 minutes ago, Peter said:

I'm so shit at tipping

Overall Rank: 40583 of 54711

You're about 9,000 ahead of me.

Ronny    13
On 05/07/2017 at 8:11 AM, Peter said:

Shit 

Down Porte and Thomas! Tumble down the leaderboard will commence!

in all seriousness, hope they both recover quickly. Looked real nasty

Ex-Hasbeen    3,875
41 minutes ago, Ronny said:

Down Porte and Thomas! Tumble down the leaderboard will commence!

I've lost my sprinter (Sagan), my GC rider (Porte), my TTer (Durbridge), and the only 2 decent riders I have left are Chaves (who has been missing in action) and Pinot (who lost half his team last night trying unsuccessfully to get Demare inside the cut). I'm already in last place, so at least I can't drop any further.

Dave T    98
23 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I've lost my sprinter (Sagan), my GC rider (Porte), my TTer (Durbridge), and the only 2 decent riders I have left are Chaves (who has been missing in action) and Pinot (who lost half his team last night trying unsuccessfully to get Demare inside the cut). I'm already in last place, so at least I can't drop any further.

Have lost Porte and Sagan, but at least some of my "Others" have come out to play.

Great having Fulgsang and Barquil out in the main bunch.

dazmuzza    37

Just looking at all those ahead of me in the tipping competition that had Porte as their rider. I'm coming for ya!!

Cape_Horn    176
16 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

Just looking at all those ahead of me in the tipping competition that had Porte as their rider. I'm coming for ya!!

Yep

Now screwed.

Thomas and Porte out, and Dan Martin on the deck - last night was not good for my team...

(Knew I should have picked Contador...)

Peter    1,612
2 hours ago, Cape_Horn said:

Yep

Now screwed.

Thomas and Porte out, and Dan Martin on the deck - last night was not good for my team...

(Knew I should have picked Contador...)

The pistol might do a bradbury. 

Cape_Horn    176
16 hours ago, Peter said:

The pistol might do a bradbury. 

I was referring to my usual team's performances, do well at the start, then crash out and not finish. 

Maybe next year I will choose my team based on the premise of "Who do I want to see do badly?"