Sign in to follow this  
FatPom

Arm angle on TT bike

Saddle forward all the way - keeps hip angle more open. The longer stem will help steer in straight line in TT pos. You steer straight, you go faster.

Edited by The Customer
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, surfer101 said:

Sorry FP for interupting the elbow conversation just a question on the shorter cranks: is it to help you run better after the ride or just for power? Would a cyclist be better on a shorter crank as well?

Surfer, I looked into it first to reduce leg extension, then the more I read the more it seemed to help hip angle and in my case, gave more clearance between to top of thigh and chest.

seems popular on the TT forums and seems to be gaining traction in road riding but not with as much traction right now.

• Like 1

Surfer101 I moved to 165mm to open my hip up at the top of my pedal stroke, it helps with running off the bike, power doesn't change. 

• Like 2

Do people not consider professional bike fits? With someone that knows what they are doing and works with you over time to adjust as you change?

Having a well fitted bike is the most important thing you can do for your cycling.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Alex Simmons said:

Do people not consider professional bike fits? With someone that knows what they are doing and works with you over time to adjust as you change?

Having a well fitted bike is the most important thing you can do for your cycling.

I'm not sure where you are reading that I disagree with this?  I have a fitter who is 'pretty well regarded' in the UK:wink1:  It's just a 6wk wait to see hime and my body changes rather rapidly. This bike was not bought from my regular guy (he does not sell bikes),  and I haven't touched a thing on my road bike since seeing my fitter.

I have cleat fitting appointments separately as well.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Alex Simmons said:

yeah but what are we going to talk about around here. It's kinda tumble-weeds at the mo.

8 hours ago, FatPom said:

I'm not sure where you are reading that I disagree with this?  I have a fitter who is 'pretty well regarded' in the UK:wink1:  It's just a 6wk wait to see hime and my body changes rather rapidly. This bike was not bought from my regular guy (he does not sell bikes),  and I haven't touched a thing on my road bike since seeing my fitter.

I have cleat fitting appointments separately as well.

It was less about any individual and more about the general ill conceived notion of looking at random still photos and deciding whether it's a good position for someone or not and/or making recommendations on changes on basis of a still image.

IMO/IME photos tend mask a lot of positional things and make some things appear to be that really aren't the case. IMO unless you are looking at and/or capturing data on someone actually pedalling on their bike under load, it's not overly helpful for assessing position.

• Like 1

Thanks FP, Clintred re the shorter cranks. Would appreciate your thoughts Alex. Is use the same bike for TT & triathlon , not sure I want to be swapping cranks all the time. Guess I could get another bike

5 hours ago, surfer101 said:

Thanks FP, Clintred re the shorter cranks. Would appreciate your thoughts Alex. Is use the same bike for TT & triathlon , not sure I want to be swapping cranks all the time. Guess I could get another bike

I'm not sure why either.

• Like 2

Just a quick update, I will post a pic later when I'm home. Recents events have made any type of cycling pretty hard but a few turbo sessions have been managed.

getting on with the 165 cranks and did try the front with a spacer taken out but found there was a bit too much thigh/ gut impedance. I've put the front end back up as it's Tenby LCW next weekend and I want to err on the side of comfort with eyes on the bigger prize later.

i tried lowering the saddle which I didn't get on with real well but having said that, I'm not in the best shape to make assessments right now.  I tried a couple of saddle heights and it feels a tad better with the saddle about 3-4mm higher but when looking at the saddle I have now (Sitero) it's profile is lower than the Fizik.

Happy to report some progress in my frozen shoulders and ROM. Feel like I can hold aero much longer than I could before. :)

IMG_0310.JPG

Edited by FatPom

Looks good 

I reckon u could get few mm higher in the saddle , but I don't know much